The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Coin lathe (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2008-12-28 18:41, raywitko wrote:
Right now am using an old lathe but would like a newer one.
Ray

If you get a new one, howzabout selling me the old one!!
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
raywitko
View Profile
Special user
western Pa
527 Posts

Profile of raywitko
Quote:
On 2009-03-22 13:20, tabman wrote:
Quote:
Ray

Hey your retired now, remember. Smile
Sometimes it seems there are more than one of me.

Tabman USA
magicdmv
email me at [email]fursclass@magicdmv.com[/email]
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2009-03-22 15:01, raywitko wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-03-22 13:20, tabman wrote:
Quote:
Ray

Hey your retired now, remember. Smile

You're right but I lived longer than I thought I would. Anyway, I always loved that little lathe. When I was a kid I dreamed about owning something like that but my family didn't have much and certainly not enough to get a fool kid a mini metal lathe. Magic made it happen for me and paid for it all and I hope it's still doing the work for you. I saw you mention that you wanted a newer one and I was just poking you to see what you'd say.

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I like the looks of that Micromark and it seems I've read or heard good things about it! I'm strictly a wood guy and have a nice Jet lathe for that purpose but I've always been intrigued by metal work and have thought about giving it a whirl on a small scale! Yeah, like I need ANOTHER obsession! Smile
raywitko
View Profile
Special user
western Pa
527 Posts

Profile of raywitko
Same here Tabby, always wanted tools when I was a kid. Didn't give a hang about sports. They couldn't see why I needed them. Same way with magic, they thought it was a waste of time and money. When I graduated from a vocational school,the Instructor said I tied with another student for the Rockwell award. Winner got tools. Supposedly they flipped a coin and I lost. Guess they knew better than to let me flip a coin because I was doing magic back then too. Funny, nobody saw them flip that coin and the winner was a son of a friend of the instructor.
Ray
Sometimes it seems there are more than one of me.

Tabman USA
magicdmv
email me at [email]fursclass@magicdmv.com[/email]
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2009-03-23 15:06, raywitko wrote:....Funny, nobody saw them flip that coin and the winner was a son of a friend of the instructor.

Funny how those things seem to work out that way??!!

-=tabman

jackin box
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of jackin box
Hi everybody was wonderin if anybody could make me a expanded peace dollar would be happy to pay and just want it to do the job?
Paul_Rheaume
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Paul_Rheaume
A bit of history. Sheldon Atterbury machined all of the prototype coins for the company he and his partner Charlie Johnson (Johnson coins). All of the proto work was done on a unimat. the standard production runs were done by sam Leport in his comercial shop on Logan lathes. I have done some on my craftsman and also on my older southbend. They all were run in steel collets
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2009-04-30 17:56, Paul_Rheaume wrote:
A bit of history. Sheldon Atterbury machined all of the prototype coins for the company he and his partner Charlie Johnson (Johnson coins). All of the proto work was done on a unimat.

Unimat is a great little machine. Quiet, smooth, I never knew that about the Johnson coin prototyping but I am not surprised at all. Thanks for sharing that info.

I tried to find and buy Conrad Haden's machine but lost track of it in Florida; was it Ormond Beach? It's been a long time since those days.

-=tabman

The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2443 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
Just stay away from the really cheap machine lathes, they are so in accurate that you will never get anything made and it may cause you to give up, they are good for large scal work where there is a lot of room for error, but with small stuff, close tollerance is important,we have a company here in the US called Harbor Freight, they are great for disposable items, check the link, you will see a great value for a machine, if you have the ability to tear it down and re-build it, you will have a nice machine,but as it is, it's very poor.

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearc......ne+lathe
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9500 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Dave

If you take a caliber and measure the run-out on any of those, I think you'd be surprised that they really don't have tight tolerances. Also the ball screws they use have a lot of back-lash. I "look" at them occasionally just to see if they get any better. They have but not enough to do precise work of .003 which you need for coins.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
A few years ago I bought one of those Harbor Freight small lathes thinking it might be better than my Unimat but it was not and I sold it on Ebay immediately. I think the little unimats are good though. What do you say, Jay?

-=tabman

The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2443 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
The Harbor Freight quality is not just in it's tollerance, but also in the bearings , they were quickly and the bed does not glide smoothly when compaired to a better model, I feel they are great for rough turning , but not when accuracy counts.