The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Out of the Routine by John Van Der Put and Alakazam (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Rpascual
View Profile
Special user
USA
668 Posts

Profile of Rpascual
Well, I hadn't seen any reviews of this so I just took a stab in the dark and went ahead and bought it.
Hope this helps for anybody interested in the dvd. May I also say that the dvd includes john van der put lecture notes (i don't know if that's with every dvd though, you'll have to check) It's basically all the routines in the dvd on a pdf file.

DEMO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgn6NQJdiKQ
Price: 39.95
Price at PM: 36.75

Quality:
Very good (not high def like theory 11) but clear.
Menus are easy to navigate except when in the computer (I seem to have a difficulty with that, but shouldn't be a problem for you)
Very good explaining effects. (goes through it thoroughly)

Let's get to the effects-

Flypaper- ThreeFly with a playing card! A selected card is torn into pieces, one kept by the spectator as a receipt. The remaining three pieces travel visibly piece by piece from one hand to the other at finger tips. The three pieces then magically fuse together, leaving the spectator’s receipt matching perfectly.

Pretty much what it says little setup involved, not difficult 6.5/10

E.T.E- (Everything to envelope)- Very good routine (He says its his favorite)
Basically what happens is that a spectator is asked to take out a bill, sign it and the magician magically turns it into a gag coupon for a free magic trick. Magician takes out a deck and another spectator signs a card and places it anywhere in the deck, the magician shuffles, and the card jumps to the top then he makes it change to a indifferent card. Then the magician reaches to his jacket pocket and takes out his wallet with a envelope inside spectator is asked to open it and inside is the signed card, and signed dollar bill also your business card but that is optional.

This is a very good routine I will most certainly will be using it. Probably not many people will use it because of the set up involved and you'll probably need a extra something (guys) that you don't usually have. By the way I should mention that bill switches in this dvd are not explained.(I don't think I'm revealing anything by saying that) I would give it around a 8.5/10

Smoked- A chosen and marked cigarette rises eerily from a borrowed packet in the spectator’s hand before leaping clean out of the pack. Smoking kills, and with this effect, you can too!

No more to be said. Nice routine if you do a lot of this stuff (make things move with your "mind" and all that stuff) you will probably have everything needed to do it. Very easy to do but will take practice. I see many people using it but not me since I mostly don't perform for people who smoke. 6/10

Thinking of you- Since it is in the demo for the dvd I wont explain the effect

I love this routine. Very easy to do and many people will use it. It will take some ba*** to perform it because sometimes people lie about their card chosen. You need to have good spectators No hecklers allowed! (If you happen to have a heckler don't worry john gives you some tips to work around it) Won't work every time. 7.5/10

Losing Face- An incredible all-back ace routine with a borrowed deck. Not one for the beginners, but the experienced card handler will love it. Basically you find all aces in a transformed double backed deck

TRUE DAT it is for advanced card handlers. I like the routine but you will have to practice practice practice. I don't see myself using it even though it's a great routine. 6/10

Visual deck Producer- Basically you show a unfolded deck case, you fold it and voila a deck appears inside and continue with your routine.

Nice easy way of starting a routine. The cards are not gimmicked in any way and you can make the card box gimmick. Similar to sudden deck but easier (in my opinion). 8/10

Outside the box- A thought of card appears under the box in this three-phase routine. A new approach to the misdirection involved means that this is a totally practical routine that you can perform standing, seated, at tables or in walk around.

Good routine with the deck appearing under the card case. New way of utilizing misdirection. I will probably be using it sometime but it's not my favorite routine. 6/10

To Holloway and Back- spectator gets a card and places it face down on the magicians hand (the magician jokingly guesses the card) the card is given back to the spectator to hold. Magician takes out any pair (EX. two 7'ns) and instructs another spectator to hold them. THe magician takes back the selected card and makes it vanish. It reapperas in between the two sevens that the spectator is holding. Then the magician all of a sudden makes the selected card disappear in between the sevens and appears in the middle of the deck face up.

I love love love love love this routine. It's a very good routine very easy to do and isn't like your normal sandwhich routine. A little misdirection is needed but it is very easy because of how the effect is constructed. One of my fav routines in the dvd. 8.5/10

Baby ghost -This is more like for a stage show and with a bottle production.

Easy to do but I won't look into this effect because I mostly do close up magic and this doesn't fit my needs. 6/10

The box- (performance only) it's the stage effect with the middle part of the woman removed.
What can I say? it's very entertaining but no explanation obviously because you need the props and all that stuff. 7.1/10

Bill switchers will be prosecuted- Two people are asked to sign different bills. with the first bill it gets switched to a gag coupon and the second bill gets switched to the first bill. Then the second bill appears inside a envelope inside the magicians wallet.

Cool routine could be used for stage if wanted not very difficult if you are fluent with bill switches. 7.3/10

Nice dvd I suggest you buy it. Enjoy. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

I hope it's been a good review, (it's my first)

I must point out that his performances are somewhat dull. Maybe that's his style I don't know.
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2441 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
This DVD is great - plain and simple.

I only got it just before Christmas but I learnt and have performed the all backs routine already. I know Russell Leeds loves this DVD too - he is planning on putting Baby Ghost into his Cabaret show.

I will put a full review together but if anyone is on the fence with this DVD you really should consider this - It's Great

Craig
russ stevens
View Profile
Special user
Russ Stevens
571 Posts

Profile of russ stevens
Hi scissor83,

As the person that shot and edited this DVD, I thought I'd let you know that it was shot in HD, but as with most current magic DVDs, it was sold in SD. At a guess I would say that Theory 11 DVDs are the same.

Best,
Russ
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
I like the idea of having a PDF included.
Rpascual
View Profile
Special user
USA
668 Posts

Profile of Rpascual
Yeah the lecture notes are pretty much the same thing on the dvd so if you can't watch the dvd you always have the lecture notes to read.
kryptonite76
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of kryptonite76
Unfortunately, there are not more reviews on "Out of the Routine" so I thought that I would chime in. I thought this dvd was fantastic! These are all brilliant and well thought-out routines.
I've recently been trying to find things using cards in less traditional and non-cardy ways so I loved Flypaper.
Both bill switching routines were fun and very commercial. ETE seems like the perfect closer.
If you had the opportunity to perform it, it seems that Smoked would make people completely lose it.
All of the card routines were spectacular. They're all FASDIU and incredibly strong. Cards are just thought of (repeatedly), they jump under the box (repeatedly), and they lose their backs (repeatedly).
And who can forget Baby Ghost. An adorable way to produce a bottle!

Thanks, John!
mrmuji
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of mrmuji
I always want to get this DVd, but how practicle are the routines?
Best Regards,

Bob
kryptonite76
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of kryptonite76
With the exception of a brief one for Flypaper, none of the card routines require a set-up and they are all very strong. The noncard routines only require the typical set-up for a bill switch or bottle production. Everything To Envelope is the most labor intensive due to the envelope load but you could prepare as many as you needed to all at once. Great dvd. You won't be sorry!