The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Trilogy : Sleight of Hand is an Understatement (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
bgh13mm
View Profile
New user
Pelham, Alabama
84 Posts

Profile of bgh13mm
Has anyone seen or have this DVD set? Just wondering if it is worth the money? I saw it on theory11 web site and the DVD set is called "Trilogy: Sleight of Hand is an Understatement" Trilogy: by Dan and Dave Buck. Any feedback would be great. Thanks.
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
It's worth every penny if you want to spend your life looking down at your hands while you practice and perform juggling tricks with cards while mumbling something incoherent.
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1882 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
Quote:
On 2008-12-26 09:18, Andi Peters wrote:
It's worth every penny if you want to spend your life looking down at your hands while you practice and perform juggling tricks with cards while mumbling something incoherent.

Extremely well said Smile

However if you want to entertain laypeople your better off with something else.
mrmuji
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of mrmuji
It won't be ideal if just pull out the thing from the DVD and perform that alone. However adding bits and pieces to your routine can show off your finger flexibilities to your spectators. Again, it's all about how much time you can throw in to practice.
Best Regards,

Bob
bgh13mm
View Profile
New user
Pelham, Alabama
84 Posts

Profile of bgh13mm
Thanks for your opinion, everyone.
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Magic Santa did a long review of these disks on this forum, and I'd recommend you look it up. Like him, I think the Bucks are skilled performers who are rethinking card magic for their generation. I just want to add that I'm not a teenager, am not a flourisher, and I think these DVDs are excellent. Sure, I'll probably do nothing from disk 2, but disk 3 has some clever ideas on it, and the tricks on disk one are clever, to the point, and beautifully routined. They are mostly the Bucks' turbocharged variations on a number of classics, and their handlings are flourish-y (but not too much so) and full of visual moments. Honestly, most of it is difficult stuff, but there's a lot here that you can apply to other routines. And, the Bucks' card handling is so smooth that the disk becomes something you'll just put on occasionally to get inspired by. It's also beautifully shot and packaged, with great music and nice over-the-shoulder angles. It's a model for what magic teaching DVDs should be like. (The only thing missing is performances for real spectators, which would have been nice.)

At the least, disk one is worth picking up on its own, which I believe you can do at Dan and Dave's site.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6146 Posts

Profile of motown
It's an excellent set of DVDs. Some of the best produced DVDs I've ever seen. But, there not for everyone. Read what others have sad and check out there demo videos. That will give you some in which to base your buying decission on.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain