The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Mini rex rabbit (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
montymagi
View Profile
Special user
Slidell La
752 Posts

Profile of montymagi
I had my mini rex rabbit for about 7 days and everything seemed fine. I went to his house tonight and he had died. He had hay, pellets, and a water bottle. We did feed him a baby carrot yesterday. Any idea why baby rabbit may have suddenly died?
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Hi spacecop - I just had the same thing happen with one of my hotot's. It is the second rabbit to actually pass this way. I had another for 6 years before she passed.
Some rabbits give no warning that they are sick. Most rabbits that so this just pass from sudden Kidney failure. There is no answer for it really. It is fairly common with rabbits though.
Was your rabbit 'fixed'? With female rabbits, if they are not 'fixed' they can have uterus problems if they never have babies. If they do have babies, then they won't have that problem. The second most problem is kidney failure. Male Rabbits that are not fixed never really have problems but the kidney thing. However, male rabbits are either really aggressive, or lazy. There really is no in between. Like male birds, they are very territorial. Females are territorial too, but not as bad as Males. When you have two females together, you may see one 'mount' the other one. This is not a mating ritual, but rather a 'I am the boss' here. (dominance)

how old was your rabbit? and where did you aquire your rabbit? It may have to do with what the diet was before you received the rabbit. Rabbits can have problems with hairballs if not watched properly. The hair can clog their digestive system causing a whole area a problems with not being able to digest the proper foods. It can back up and cause internal damage.

Sorry about the loss. I know how you must feel. Its sad to lose a pet, and especially one you just received and started to attach yourself to.
montymagi
View Profile
Special user
Slidell La
752 Posts

Profile of montymagi
I got the rabbit 7 days ago. It was a baby, maybe 6 weeks old at most. The only thing out of the ordinary with its diet was we feed it a baby carrot the day before. I called the store where I got him and they said none of its litter mates had any problems.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
Sorry for your loss spacecop.

The thing I noticed right off was the age. In my opinion, 6 weeks is too early to take a bunny from it's mother. My breeder likes to wait at least 8 weeks. He told me that bunnies are most likely to die during the time they are taken from their mother, up until they are about 12 weeks old.

Having said that, there are many things that could have caused it. I had one of my bunnies to die last August, and that put me down to one Netherland so I recently bought another. He was 8 weeks old when I got him about 3 weeks ago. He''s doing really well, so far.....except he's kind of hyper at times.

Regan
Mister Mystery
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Ahh.. Regan is right on that one. That is a little young to be taken away from the mother. The carrot wasn't the issue spacecop, so hopefully you don't think it is. The animal kingdom can be rough sometimes. At least the next time, you can ask about the age and make sure you are getting an older 'weened' rabbit.
montymagi
View Profile
Special user
Slidell La
752 Posts

Profile of montymagi
Thank you everyone. Got a new rabbit today. It's about 12 weeks old. I think he is going to work just fine. Any helpful hints about rabbits? I have good grass for him to eat pellets and a large water bottle. I have him in a nice big cage with room to hop around. He is a lot better off than he was at the store.
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1117 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
Not sure what your experience with rabbits is, but make sure you spend lots of time with him. Every rabbit has different temperment. Some are calm and are lap rabbits, while others hate to be held.

Most rabbits love to be stroked on the head. Run your fingers from the tip of the nose up to the ears. You'll see it settle down.

Good luck with your new rabbit.
montymagi
View Profile
Special user
Slidell La
752 Posts

Profile of montymagi
Thanks for the tip itsmagic
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Spacecop (Monty):
I am very sorry to hear about your loss.
I am sure the baby carrot did not do any harm.

Quote:
On 2008-12-23 15:13, 1906Alpha1906 wrote:
Hi spacecop - I just had the same thing happen with one of my hotot's. It is the second rabbit to actually pass this way. I had another for 6 years before she passed.
Some rabbits give no warning that they are sick. Most rabbits that so this just pass from sudden Kidney failure. There is no answer for it really. It is fairly common with rabbits though.
Was your rabbit 'fixed'? With female rabbits, if they are not 'fixed' they can have uterus problems if they never have babies. If they do have babies, then they won't have that problem. The second most problem is kidney failure. Male Rabbits that are not fixed never really have problems but the kidney thing. However, male rabbits are either really aggressive, or lazy. There really is no in between. Like male birds, they are very territorial. Females are territorial too, but not as bad as Males. When you have two females together, you may see one 'mount' the other one. This is not a mating ritual, but rather a 'I am the boss' here. (dominance)
how old was your rabbit? and where did you aquire your rabbit? It may have to do with what the diet was before you received the rabbit. Rabbits can have problems with hairballs if not watched properly. The hair can clog their digestive system causing a whole area a problems with not being able to digest the proper foods. It can back up and cause internal damage.
Sorry about the loss. I know how you must feel. Its sad to lose a pet, and especially one you just received and started to attach yourself to.

Rabbits DO GIVE WARNING when they are sick; it’s just that we have to be very observant to see the warning behaviors, i.e. Not eating normally, not drinking normally, and a change in their stools (pills.)

Rabbits do not have an inordinate propensity to kidney failure and Sudden Kidney Failure is not any more “common” in rabbits than it is with most animals. The Kidney is simply one of the first organs to give way when a rabbit nears the end of their life.
See: http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/kidneys.shtml

All female rabbits run a high risk of Uterine Cancer, whether they have pups or not. Having babies minimizes the risk a little, but does not eliminate it. Having your Doe “fixed” is always a good idea. It also radically changes the behavior of Bucks (male rabbits.)
See: http://spayandneuter.50megs.com/r-neuter.html
And http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/spay-neuter.html

Rabbits DO NOT have “problems with hairballs.
The problem is not an accumulation of hair in the stomach, but rather a decreased motility (movement) of the gastrointestinal (GI) tract leading to the dehydration and impaction of the material in the stomach and sometimes also the cecum.

Be sure to feed your rabbit good Hay (not too much alfalfa) and some green leafy vegetables often. Pellet food is used by breeders because it is easier and will fatten rabbits up faster. Pellet food is not the best way to feed a rabbit. They require lots of indigestible fiber in their diet, like hay.
See: : http://www.hrschicago.org/hairballfr.html

Bob
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Well, ok then...
ny wizard
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of ny wizard
Speaking of bunnies, I, for the first time, am attempting to work with a rabbit! I still don't know if this is a good idea or not (used to work with doves), but I know the kids love it. Which rabbit production and/or vanish would you guys recommend?
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
Be careful feeding your bunny grass. I'm not sure what type of grass you mean, or what type bunny you have, but Netherland Dwarf rabbits can get sick easily. Limit the grasses, (except for hay) fruits and veggies, and make sure it is clean. I wash all fresh fruits and veggies....even stuff that comes right from my garden, yard, or wherever. Netherland Dwarfs (and I would think other dwarfs) can get protazoan infections that can be deadly. My bunnies like to chew on apple tree branches, but I wash them also.

Good luck with your new bunny!

Regan
Mister Mystery
Bernie Balloons
View Profile
Elite user
N.Y.C.
480 Posts

Profile of Bernie Balloons
Make sure you touch the rabbits feet a lot so he does not mind you clipping his nails Also I love the FunHouse by Chance Wolf it is an awsome closer
coachc
View Profile
Regular user
WV
130 Posts

Profile of coachc
PET PRESTO BY BARRY MITCHELL IS GREAT AND HOLDS A FAIRLY LARGE RABBIT.
revmike
View Profile
Special user
Annville, PA
646 Posts

Profile of revmike
I believe Barry no longer makes these. It is a great effect, but when I purchased mine a few months ago, I believe Barry said it was the last one and he wasn't making anymore.
The magic is not in our sleights and illusions, but instead in our ability to bring love and joy.