The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: All tied up! :: Best handcuffs? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3784 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
This is a matter of opinion to be sure, but what are the best cuffs to use? Sources?

Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
I haven't tried any escapes yet, but when I was working my last job, I used Smith and Wesson, and nobody even came close to getting them off. So if your looking for a good high quality pair of cuffs, try looking into them. You can go to http://www.Galls.com and find a huge selection there. Smile
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
3784 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
You the man...Magicman! Smile
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Handcuffs...gaffed or genuine? Genuine, I would go with Smith and Wesson A-100's...those are considered the regulation police issue cuffs. Gaffed, I'd go with Ian McColl's Smith & Wesson ADA-100's. They are quite pricey, but definitely worth it. They are for the most part custom made. I own a pair, and they have passed inspection by police officers. I can cuff anyone, well, almost anyone, and they will not be able to get out, even if they know the gimmick. So far, the cuffs will only work on me. Ian's handcuffs are available from Cannon's Great Escapes.

Not knowing how much you know about handcuffs, if you would like to e-mail me about some of the specifics with handcuffs, I'll be happy to help you as much as I can.

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
3784 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Thanks for responding Margarette, your experience in such matters is very helpful!

Smile
Joe Marotta
View Profile
Special user
Can You Believe I Have
944 Posts

Profile of Joe Marotta
Hi Steve,

Your question, "which are the best cuffs to use" leads me to ask you in return, "to use for what?". If you are just performing a full-view escape from a pair of handcuffs, ask your local police and sheriffs which cuffs they commonly use, and learn to pick them all.

If you are wanting to use cuffs for restraints while you are performing the sub-trunk for example, a gimmicked pair will probably do.

Become familiar with the many different brands and models that are commonly used in your area. This way, when you run into a policeman at a restaurant who wants to challange you, you won't be caught off guard.

Margarette is pretty knowledgable on this and is probaby the best source in the Cafe for picking techniques. I've heard very good things about her from other escapists and have read many of her posts on other sites. I'm hoping she will come to Los Angeles some day so I can meet her.

Best wishes,

Joe
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
3784 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Thanks for your thoughts, they are very much appreciated! Smile
Drewmcadam
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
1238 Posts

Profile of Drewmcadam
I can't recommend David DeVall's handcuffs highly enough. Besides supplying ungimmicked originals, his gaffed versions are truly superb.
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
If this helps, the hardest ones for me to pick are the Pierless brand. The mechanism seems just a little harder to push down than the S&W's.

Sable
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
Starry
View Profile
Loyal user
New York
219 Posts

Profile of Starry
I've found that the best cuffs are the ones that come off of a police officer's belt. It really doesn't matter if they are gaffed or not. Sometimes when I'd perform street magic at a festival, I'd have one of the policemen come and pretend to be harrassing (sp?) me.

I'd mouth off to him (jokingly) and he'd handcuff me to a post (ala Houdini.) He'd leave and tell me that he'd be back in fifteen minutes after I'd had time to cool off. Of course by the time he was leaving, I'd have a crowd of curious onlookers.

I'd struggle and bite at the cuffs then as soon as he was out of site, I'd magically escape and tell the people that ten minutes should be more than enough time to do a quick show. Even though I now use a pair of regular cuffs, at the time I'd just ask the policeman to use my fake ones. They were always glad to help.
Ace Starry - Author or THE MAGIC LIFE - A NOVEL PHILOSOPHY
http://www.starry.com/
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
I agree with margaret S&W cuffs are the best.
MOst magically yours,
WR

Ever have anyone ask why you have a handcuff key on you keys... Smile
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."