The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Magic Café Tech Help Area :: Delete button? :: TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Chris Boyd
View Profile
Regular user
Mansfield, TX
155 Posts

Profile of Chris Boyd
Am I supposed to have the ability to delete my own posts? I have heard people recommend, for one reason or another, usually when they have posted something twice, that they go and delete their post. The only thing I am capable of doing is editing a post that I want to delete such that it has no content.

Someone posted this once...
"By the way, if you post the same thing twice, you can delete it yourself by going 'edit' then checking 'delete this post' "
...but that option is not anywhere on the edit screen.
Chris Boyd
"Jaws dropping is the sweetest sound..."
Mary B.
View Profile
Café Tech Advisor
Howard City, Michigan
626 Posts

Profile of Mary B.
Yours doesn't look like the picture below? Can you email me a screenshot of what it does look like? What browser and OS are you using? We've checked these scripts in several versions of Netscape and IE, and in Opera6, and they all work pretty much the same. This is odd.

Click here to view attached image.
Chris Boyd
View Profile
Regular user
Mansfield, TX
155 Posts

Profile of Chris Boyd
This is a funny situation!

I discovered that, after making my 100th post (Yay!) that I was finally able to delete it, if I chose to, from the edit screen, something I could not do with 99 posts.

So I came back here to delete my above post, but I thought I should leave it there in case anyone else had the same question!

SOOOOooooo...One is allowed to delete their posts once they reach the magic number of 100.
Chris Boyd
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4861 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I believe the problem is that you can only delete your own post if there are no other posts following it. I don't think the 100 posts has anything to do with it.
Where the magic begins
Mary B.
View Profile
Café Tech Advisor
Howard City, Michigan
626 Posts

Profile of Mary B.
That's what I get for staying up all night. Brain cloud. Dave is right. If nobody has replied to your post, you can delete it. Once a post has been replied to, only Mods and Admins can delete it. How many (or few) posts you have doesn't enter into the equation.
Alex W.
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of Alex W.
Just out of curiosity, why can't you delete your posts when they have been replied to?
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4861 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Simple. If someone has replied and references something in your post, it wouldn't make sense if you deleted your post. You would have to go in and edit all the other posts following yours. That's when the staff members need to get involved to insure everything makes sense.
Where the magic begins
Chris Boyd
View Profile
Regular user
Mansfield, TX
155 Posts

Profile of Chris Boyd
Quote:
On 2003-04-27 13:34, Dave Scribner wrote:
I believe the problem is that you can only delete your own post if there are no other posts following it. I don't think the 100 posts has anything to do with it.

I'm afraid this is wrong. From the time I set up my User Name up until this morning, I never had the option to delete my posts. Every time I finish writing a post, I will submit it without proofreading it, don't ask me why. Then, when I am redirected to the thread, there I re-read it to make sure it all makes sense. Half the time there is something wrong, and I will edit it. I see now the checkbox saying "delete this post". It was there this morning directly after I made my 100th post, but was never there before...I have a very good eye for detail.

As for the problem of people posting underneath me, that is not the case. I edit directly after posting...not enough time for someone to post after me most of the time.

It may be something unique to my account, though I would not know why.

Perhaps someone could create a new "test" account to verify this?
Chris Boyd
Mary B.
View Profile
Café Tech Advisor
Howard City, Michigan
626 Posts

Profile of Mary B.
Well, I don't know what to tell you about that, Chris. There isn't anything at all in the scripts that would make the delete button not show up for only you until you have made your 100th post. Or for anyone else, for that matter. The scripts simply aren't written that way. The only restrictions on the delete function are those Dave and I described above. The number of your posts has no bearing on it whatsoever.
Robert Sixx
View Profile
Special user
863 Posts

Profile of Robert Sixx
I have a post up that has not been replied to but I can not delete it, I can edit it but there is no delete button. Or am I missing something. The mouse over on the Edit Button says Edit/Delete This Post, but there is no way to delete it.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Mary B.
View Profile
Café Tech Advisor
Howard City, Michigan
626 Posts

Profile of Mary B.
Would you PM me with your password and a link to that post please? I'd like to log in as you so I can see what's going on there. You should be seeing a checkbox to delete the post after you click on the edit link.

Ok, I owe you folks an apology. I looked at the codes for the editpost.php page, and there is indeed code in there to prevent you from deleting your posts. There is a 30-minute time limit from the time you make the post, after which you won't see the option to delete. There have been so many modifications to these scripts, I simply forgot that we put that in. I'm sorry I gave you wrong information in my earlier post.

The Admins and Moderators have the ability to delete posts without any time limit on the function, so I see the delete option on any post I want to edit. I have a lousy memory sometimes, and have a hard time keeping track of which options show for regular members, and what, if any circumstances would prevent you from seeing certain options.

So, if there are no posts replying to yours and it has been less than 30 minutes since you made the post, you should see the delete option. Otherwise, you'll need to report the post to the staff if you want the post deleted for some reason.

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.
MrCyNic
View Profile
Loyal user
England
238 Posts

Profile of MrCyNic
Hi!

I've somehow managed to post the same message twice in the following thread:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=41

I've been very careful to only post where I've got something valid to say, rather that just blasting my way through to the magic 50. I don't know how the double-post happened (I presume I backstepped through the page that sent it or something), but I don't have the option to delete it. Could someone delete the duplicate, please?

Thanks,

Cy.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4861 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Cy, I deleted your duplicate. In the future if this happens, simply click on the button that says report this post, choose duplicate as the reason and someone on staff will take care of it for you automatically.
Where the magic begins
Chris Boyd
View Profile
Regular user
Mansfield, TX
155 Posts

Profile of Chris Boyd
I knew I wasn't insane!!! Thanks Mary!
Chris Boyd