The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Gaffed & Funky :: Tricks with regular deck + extra blank cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
Hello,
I am looking for good tricks involving a reglar pack of card, and the (open) introduction of some blank cards (which could be gaffed) in order to accomplish a kind of "photocopying card" or "universal card". Then , the blank cards are put back in your wallet and you're ready to go on.
I saw Craig Petty is putting out a DVD ("Blank!") but I know that such effects are already in print, I just don't manage to locate them in my library. Can someone refresh my memory?
Many thanks,
Jonathan.
Nerdini
View Profile
Loyal user
Little Rock, Arkansas
223 Posts

Profile of Nerdini
Aldo Columbini has such an effect called Paramount. It is in one of his books ("What's up Deck", I think), but it is also the bonus effect on Volume 5 of the Ammar Easy to master card Miracles series.

A card is selected, signed, and returned to the deck. (forced) The performer introduces a small packet of double blank cards as Xerox or copy cards.

Eventually one of the blanks is printed on the back and face to match the selected card. It is not a perfect copy since it is not signed. However, for the finale, the performer magically ptints the spectators signature on the card.

It's a great visual trick and not that difficult.
"I was in love with a beautiful blonde once. She drove me to drink; that's the one thing I'm indebted to her for"
Nerdini
View Profile
Loyal user
Little Rock, Arkansas
223 Posts

Profile of Nerdini
Here is a minor correction to my description of the Columbni effect. The blank faced copy cards introduced are blue backed while the deck in use is red backed. Prior to revealing the selection being copied the performer also magically erases the blue back of one of the copy cards and then changes it to a red back.
"I was in love with a beautiful blonde once. She drove me to drink; that's the one thing I'm indebted to her for"
magico
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
863 Posts

Profile of magico
The best effect I found using blank cards was in Apocalypse. I do not remember the name, but the effect a card is "selected" and place aside face down. You bring out a packet of four blank cards you show them to be blank on the fronts and the backs. One of the blank cards is place aside or can be given to the spectator to hold. You place the "selected" card to the bottom of the packet as you turn the packet over to see which card was selected. Lets say its the six of diamonds. You then show you know have 4 six of diamonds. You state not only the front of the cards print but the backs, you turn over the cards and show that you have printed four backs. You then hand them the card they selected and take back the blank both side card from their hand and repeat the process of turning them back to blanks which you now place them back in your pocket or wallet.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Nerdini, J.C. Wagner's Factory Misprints is the bonus effect on ETCM Vol 4.
Magic is a vanishing art.
Nerdini
View Profile
Loyal user
Little Rock, Arkansas
223 Posts

Profile of Nerdini
Quote:
On 2008-12-06 18:26, edh wrote:
Nerdini, J.C. Wagner's Factory Misprints is the bonus effect on ETCM Vol 4.

ahhh, huh! --and your point is---?
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
Another ideas?
magico
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
863 Posts

Profile of magico
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
Yes I saw this one, as well as the "blank!" project of Craig Petty. But I know tht the cncept is not new in the litterature. Any other sources?
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Dai Vernon had such an effect called Doble C. It includes two blank cards, a regular card, a double facer (another different card on one side and a blank on the other side). I adapted the trick using jokers instead of blank cards and using part of the effect in conjunction with a regular deck so I don't remember exactly the original effect. However the idea is that a tabled regular card transposes with the blank card between the two other blank cards (jokers for me). There is a bit more with the Vernon effect but I don't remember exactly what as I'm not using that part.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Demonbrn
View Profile
Veteran user
Oakley, CA
338 Posts

Profile of Demonbrn
What is the name of that packet effect where 4 blank cards are used, then they all print diffrent color backs and faces. I've also been looking for some effects for these kind of gaff cards (I bought the bicicyle assortment awhile back) to use. I've seen some of the DvD's out there, but I think I'd much rather pay $10-15 for a book rather than $30-60 for dvd's!
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
I think that you will be hard pushed to beat 'Blank' by Craig Petty for practicality, gaffs included, and variety of routines. I practiced 'Paramount' by Aldo Colombini (on ETMCM) for a while, but the handling on the Petty routines (e.g. Misprint) is IMO much better.
There is a neat effect on Cameron Francis's Omega Mutation disc3 called Space Available. Also, there must be loads of stuff in the Harry Lorayne collection, why not PM him?
Good luck!
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6145 Posts

Profile of motown
Jonathan,

If your interested in doing a copying effect, there might be something you can do with the black ghost decks. They have a kind of film negative look about them. The other thought is to take a card, scan it
and reverse the image on your computer in order to make your own card. Use this to print cards
on the blank ones. Then male up your own routine.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6145 Posts

Profile of motown
Here's a few other effects you can check out:

-Printing History (Max Maven) in "Focus" page 68

-John Hancock (David Regal) in "Close-Up & Personal" page 58

-The Lucky Deck (Darwin Ortiz) in "Darwin Ortiz at the Card Table" page 120.
This may also be on one of his DVDs.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain