The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The marquee says... :: Opry Mill Holiday Family Theater presents... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Home For The Holidays
An original musical written and produced by John B. Pyka.

This Christmas season, I'm producing a musical called Home for the Holidays for Opry Mills Mall that will run Thurs - Sun starting Nov 28 and ending Dec 21. The whole script revolves around a girl's letter to Santa asking him to make it snow on Christmas.

Santa appears magically, coming down the chimney, and fulfills her wish by making it snow just for her.

Big Daddy Cool trades the red zoot suit for a red velvet suit to portray the immortal St. Nicholas.

FREE.
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
afun14u
View Profile
Loyal user
Tennessee
249 Posts

Profile of afun14u
You GO Big Daddy! Sounds GREAT! Would love to see it and may...Break a thread! Chat soon.

Robert
Empowering Kingdom Growth through Evangelistic Entertainment!
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Tonight, Tonight, Tonight!

The show opens tonight at 4PM. The whole story revolves around a girl's wish for snow on Christmas... Can you guess what happens?

Hope to see some friends there!

Posted: Dec 2, 2008 10:35am
Opening weekend was AMAZING!

3 more weeks to go - it's free so come and see!

Posted: Dec 4, 2008 1:39pm
Week 2 begins Tonight!!! It's free so come and see!

Posted: Dec 8, 2008 10:03am
2 weekends down, 2 to go! Haven't seen any local magicians yet, so the rest of you are welcome to come down and check it out.

Thurs - Sat 4,5,6 PM
Sun 2&3 PM

Entertainment Court Stage - Opry Mills Mall - Nashville

It's FREE so come and see!

Posted: Dec 15, 2008 10:44am
Last weekend this coming Thurs - Sun!

Below is a article that ran here in Nashville...

No other Nashville magician has produced as many open to the public magic and magic related shows than John B. Pyka. Over the last several years, John has created, written, directed and produced over 230 live, full evening open to the public stage magic and variety shows in theaters and dinner theaters in Nashville, making him the undisputed King of Nashville Magic & Variety Entertainment. John continues the tradition this Christmas season with a new show currently playing at Opry Mills Mall - The Holiday Family Theater.

The Holiday Family Theater is a magical story about a family celebrating Christmas in Sarasota, Florida, a place where snow is seldom if ever seen at Christmas. The youngest daughter in the family has wished for snow for years and finally, this particular Christmas her wish comes true as Santa comes down the chimney and makes it snow just for her. Along the way, there is music and a powerful reading of "Twas The Night Before Christmas" by Phil Perry. But the entire story leads up to the magic moment that Santa creates snow.

Pyka, who is normally recognized as the swing hipster Big Daddy Cool, trades in his trademark red zoot suit and fedora for the hefty velvet and fur of St. Nicholas himself! "I am the writer and director" said John, "but I'm also a magician, so it only made sense for me to play the character that makes the magic happen in this story." John is an award-winning magician and singer, and has performed magic on MTV's Spring Break, A&E's An Evening At The Improv, was featured on the BBC documentary The Convention Crasher. John is also the only magician in Nashville to be published. His book Theatrical Magic and How To Produce Your Own Theater Show have been huge hits in the magic community. He is Nashville's magic author-ity.

Also a part of the cast are Phil Perry, Bakari King, Rebecca Perdue, Heather Newman, and Christina Malone. Jane Kelly Watts serves as the Musical Director. "They are the most talented group of performers I have ever had the privilege of working with" says Pyka.

Making the magic happen was a team effort as well. To create the magic of Santa coming down the chimney and the creation of snow, John enlisted the aid of fellow Nashville magician Lonny Divine (who also serves as stage manager), and Kevin Ridgeway of Indiana based Living Illusions. "It is amazing to see people's faces light up when Santa comes down the chimney and then makes it snow" says Lonny Divine, "it is part of what makes magic worth the time and dedication."

To see The King of Nashville Magic in action this holiday season, check out the Holiday Family Theater at the Entertainment Court Stage at Opry Mills Mall. The show runs every Thurs - Sat 4, 5, 6 PM and Sundays at 2 & 3 through Dec 21. The show is Free. For more information about John Pyka visit http://www.johnpyka.com
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
John,

Where was the article published? I would like to read it.

David
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
John,

You said it "ran" so David was just asking where.

http://www.nashvillescene.com/search/?keywords=pyka&x=0&y=0

I think it was a legitimate question...
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

TONIGHT, TONIGHT, TONIGHT! The last weekend of shows starts tonight!

Thurs, Fri, Sat & Sun.

4,5,6 PM Thurs - Sat. 2&3 on Sun.

Come celebrate Christmas with Opry Mills Mall and FLip-Side Productions at the Holiday Family Theater!

The show is FREE so come and see!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Quote:
On 2008-12-18 09:47, Big Daddy Cool wrote:
I didn't say it wasn't.

You did say it was.

I can't find it in the Nashville Scene.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Quote:
On 2008-12-15 10:44, Big Daddy Cool wrote:
Last weekend this coming Thurs - Sun!

Below is a article that ran here in Nashville...

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/ran

So John, if it ran in the Nashville Scene, it should be there.

I have the latest copy and I did not see the article in the newspaper.

If they are going to run it next week, isn't that too late?

By the way, you never told everyone where you are performing in Nashville the week of the Nasvhille IBM international convention. I thought you were going to make an anouncement.
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

I didn't see it either Dave. I was told it was going to run this week, but apparently that editor was wrong, or I got bumped for another article... Happens. It even happened when I was a paid columnist for the OnePaper. Sometimes there is something more compelling or more important to cover... Ya win some, ya lose some.

BUT, that doesn't change the fact that the show IS running through this Sunday at 4, 5, & 6 PM and 2 & 3 PM on Sunday. And it IS FREE! I'd love to see you there!

I can't make an announcement about that what is happening IBM week yet, cause there are still some details in the works. Do you have any doubt that I'll not shout it from the Café's rooftops? Afterall, isn't that the opinion of the Nashville Magic Community? That I am a "shameless, selfish, self promoter who has done nothing but hurt magic in Nashville?"

sheesh. Not a good week to be me. BUT, I have my own show in a public venue, so that's good!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
afun14u
View Profile
Loyal user
Tennessee
249 Posts

Profile of afun14u
Hey Rodney, I mean John...Sorry I thought I was talking to Rodney Dangerfield there for a second...Lance said your coming down this or next week...Call me when you do...I'm free at three now. Merry CHRIST-mas!
Empowering Kingdom Growth through Evangelistic Entertainment!
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

I will be down there Tues. Not sure what my schedule will be. PLANNING on seeing Lance & Stacy, would love to see you too.

Posted: Dec 20, 2008 10:10am
Last chance to see the show tonight and Sunday! 4,5,6 pm tonight, and 2&3 pm on sunday. After that Nashville's only magical Santa leaves town to get ready for the big day!
Opry mills mall. It's free so come and see!

Posted: Dec 21, 2008 8:27pm
And that's a wrap.

Thanks to everyone who came out to see the show!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com