The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Not very magical, still... :: Bin Laden’s Liquor Store :: TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3784 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
My brother in-law sent me this link, I thought some of you might get a kick out of it:

http://www.fieler.com/terror/

I especially liked the slurpee!

:rotf: Smile Smile

Life is not a problem to be solved...

but a mystery to be lived.
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
This is fun. Try it! Smile Smile Smile
Bernard Sim
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
OH MY Smile Smile Smile Smile
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
3784 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Is that a funny game or what? Smile
Cliff
View Profile
New user
Warrington, England.
73 Posts

Profile of Cliff
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

EXCELLENT
All the best

Cliff
gibby
View Profile
New user
ont. canada
41 Posts

Profile of gibby
fun game Steve,thanks.

Smile
Wiz
View Profile
New user
Southport, UK
26 Posts

Profile of Wiz
Thought this might make you chuckle. One of the youngsters I know refers to Bin Laden as 'Bin Liner'! Smile
Bengi
View Profile
Veteran user
Georgia
309 Posts

Profile of Bengi
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
bigjoeblue
View Profile
New user
akron ohio
82 Posts

Profile of bigjoeblue
try Ben Ladin liquor 2 http://www.xterror.com/
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Please tell me I'm not the only one who, no matter how wrong and evil I think Bin Laden is, remains offended by these games? All they do is reinforce wrong stereotypes and show how childish and prejudiced we as Americans are. Come on!

I hate to rain on others parades, and I hope I don't upset anybody by saying this, but I found it really offensive. Again, this isn't to in anyway imply that I feel sorry or feel anything but absolute hatred for Bin Laden and the rest of his cronies. I just don't feel it's appropriate to reinforce a stereotype of people of an ethnic background in an environment such as that.

--Andy
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Sorry Andy,

Three hundred + of my brother firefighters died in September, another 300 can no longer be firefighters due to lung problems.

I cannot turn the other cheek, because you or my family, may be next. I enjoy the American way of life and your right to disagree and be offended.

Stereotyping is another abused word. If we stuck to that there would be no comedy. Much of what is funny is the failings of others. It is a basic comedy design premise. If sterotyping is going there would be no comedy. Tall jokes, short jokes, blond jokes, magician jokes, sex jokes, etc. you name it it has a link to offend (stereotype) someone/some group. If you ever told a joke, you offended someone! Can’t have it both ways!

Based on the Myers-Briggs personality test, I am different than 32 others, and because of that, everything I do or say should offend someone of the other 31 personalities. I’ve come to accept it and look forward to comic relief in the midst of all the tragedy we are faced with.

If you must know, I can’t even wish everyone a Merry Christmas because it is offensive to most of the people in the world. (Christianity is not the dominant religion!)

Have you ever thought that the use of these icons are offensive to someone! Think about it. The angel is white, the happy face is red, the Christmas tree focus on one particular religion, the jaw dropper is handicapped, the bunnies are animals used by magicians which animal rights people take offense at, could the Irish take offense at some of the icons, etc., if you think hard enough, each one offends someone or some group.

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Dennis Michael
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Got to agree with Den on this one.

After all, what exactly are stereotypes?

Every stereotype has SOME basis in fact, otherwise it would never exist.

Italians are supposed to be musical -- look at Pavarotti, Caruso, Verdi, etc. Never mind that I can't carry a tune in a bucket!

And so it is with every other group to a greater or lesser degree.

Otherwise Don Rickles couldn't tell Jewish jokes, Eddie Murphy couldn't tell black jokes, the late Dean Martin couldn't have told Italian jokes -- the list goes on almost forever.

To suggest that Americans are prejudiced is to stereotype Americans!

And which, exactly, Americans are these: Muslim-Americans, Jewish-Americans, German-Americans, Afro-Americans, Italian-Americans, and on and on?

As Den says, every group is going to be offended by something.

Let us not carry political correctness to its Nineteen Eight-Four conclusion!

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Are you sure the readers will even know what 1984 means? (Big-Brother is watching you?)
Dennis Michael
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
As I said, what Bin Laden did was wrong. But he doesn't work in a liquor store, and I don't think it's at all right to be promoting a game like this that takes the rightful hatred towards him and twists it into a hatred towards anybody of an ethnic background (many of whom are neither Muslim nor radical fundamentalists) who works in a liquor store (or by close association a convenience store).

When this first happenned in September, there were countless outbursts of uncalled for violence against these innocent folks because of stupid prejudices. This game only supports those. A stupid racist game like this doesn't do anything to hurt Bin Laden, it just reinforces the fact that we as Americans are shallow racists.
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Let me clarify my point -- if it were Bin Laden in a cave in the game, I wouldn’t have a problem with it. It’s the fact that he’s in a liquor store -- a stereotype of Arabs (among other ethnic groups) which in fact Bin Laden DOES NOT FIT.

That’s what I take issue to. Not the game, the setting which reinforces a wrong stereotype and stirs hatred towards innocent people working to make a living.

Peter, the point you make is flawed in my interpretation. This isn’t like Murphy making Black jokes or Martin making Italian jokes, it’s like Jeff Foxworthy making Black jokes. To put it another way, it’s similar to how if a black man calls another black man the "N" word, it’s okay, but if you or I called him it we’d probably get the c**p beaten out of us.

--Andy
bigjoeblue
View Profile
New user
akron ohio
82 Posts

Profile of bigjoeblue
And you don’t think your last statement is just as stupid as Osama in a liquor store. God forbid I stick Hitler in a sausage shop and throw bagel’s at him. Everybody seems to be too thin skinned. I’m English/German/god knows what and if you can find something amusing in that, I’ll be the first one to laugh. H**l, I laugh at myself all the time. Lighten up
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
3784 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Andy,

I understand your feelings on this. But as someone said Lighten up!

I took the game as a kind of stress release for many frustrated people, and I saw the humor in it. Like a book or movie, it’s only someone’s expression of thought.

And just to clarify, I never thought seeing him in a liquor store implied that all Arabs work in liquor stores. Is that what it meant to you?

If you are offended... don’t play it, don’t buy it, don’t read it, don’t sell it, and especially don’t bring undue attention to something others might ignore anyway.

But do respect others rights to play it, buy it, read it, sell it, or bring attention to it. That is what America is all about.

Smile

Life is not a problem to be solved...

but a mystery to be lived.