The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: The Spritz Switch/The Paper Dollar by Lonnie Chevrie (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
The Spritz Switch/The Paper Dollar by Lonnie Chevrie
DVD Close up Produced by Kozmo Magic
Dealers purchase from Murphy’s Magic Supplies, Inc. (916) 853-9292 • http://www.murphysmagicsupplies.com in the beautiful Sierra Nevada foot hills.

There has been a rash of single effect DVDs coming out. This can be good or bad depending on the material, unfortunately the material is usually pretty bad and should never have reached the market place. What do I consider good? If it is magic that is entertaining and is likely to be performed by those seeing it because the spectators would find it magical and enjoy it. What do I consider bad? If it is releases just to make a few bucks or to get ones name out there for egos sake and the magic isn’t workable or likely to be performed. Like I said, the majority is usually garbage and not working material and the reason they are single effects is because the effect being the grand piece of the creator and sucking they don’t have anything else to put out. That was a built in editorial because what we have with this release by Kozmo Magic is clearly two effects using money, bills, intended for release as singles but wisely combined onto one DVD rather than two DVD releases. I think this was a good move and I like the way the DVD is packaged with the DVD having two covers, one on each side. Let’s take a look at The Spritz Switch and The Paper Dollar by Lonnie Chevrie.

The quality of the DVD is very good, as we have come to expect from Kozmo Magic. You get to watch Lonnie, who I’ve never seen work before, do the effect for a table at a restaurant and how he interacts with the spectators and he then performs the effect again in a more controlled environment. This is followed by Lonnie explaining the effects. He does an outstanding job with the explanations and since these are working effects he isn’t hemming or hawing or trying to figure out, while he talks, how the presentation should work. He knows because he, Lonnie, really performs these two effects night after night. The camera work is great, the sound is no problem, and you get to watch out takes at the end, imagine that, someone making DVDs where they actually care about the final product and don’t just release what they film with warts and all. I was impressed overall with the entire package. If I was to find one thing that I thought was kind of unusual it would be that you have to go to the main menu to get to the second effect. This is understandable because it looks like it was originally going to be two single releases. If Kozmo Magic sees this review let me tell them they did the right thing, as singles these would have been good, together it is a great lil’ deal.

The main routine is The Spritz Switch which is a very visual switch from one bill to another, in this case from a one dollar bill to a hundred dollar bill. It looked great and I, smug in my over thirty years of magic, thought I knew how he did it…I didn’t. This is based on sleight of hand and isn’t difficult and all you need to do is just a few minutes of work on the bill you are switching too just for ease of handling. This is pretty easy to learn but you want to practice to get it too look smooth. It really is one of the nicest looking switches, and note you only need the bills and nothing else, and is very open and visual. The work isn’t original with Lonnie and he gives the credits out it is his presentation that is different and his handling is improved over the original. I think if you want to do money magic strolling or tableside or even on a small stage this is a real winner.

The Paper Dollar is another version of the Hundred Dollar Bill Switch using the traditional gimmick. To be honest Lonnie fooled me again with this one because after the first routine I wasn’t expecting the gimmick and Lonnies handling is excellent. It has enough changes from the original to warrant release and basically you have a blank sheet of paper that turns into a bill. The effect is very clean and worth working on. It is also a routine that you will want to work on and do.

Hats off to Lonnie Chevrie and Kozmo Magic. This is a great double release of working magic and isn’t going to end up in your box of magic waiting to be sold at the next auction. Well done.
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
I received this, and it's an excellent quality product with some fantastic magic. The Spritz Switch was my favorite of the two, and I like the idea Lonnie added to it. The Paper Dollar is also very good, but I already had learned it from John Lovick's Switch. Still, it was great to see Lonnie explain it in video. I really liked the live performances, which is one thing I think a lot of videos today are missing. The cover idea was very nice and creative. I liked the look of it. It was great that it wasn't just a one trick DVD, like many of the DVDs coming out today.

Good job Kozmo and Lonnie. And the Journey was great too.

Jeff
music
View Profile
Special user
631 Posts

Profile of music
Whats the difference between this and his Grandpas Dollar effect?
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
I'm pretty sure the handling has been simplified.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5474 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Music.... it gets to it much quicker, easier handling and much more effeciant

koz
merle
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of merle
I'm looking forward to checking this out, having seen the earlier version.