The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Penny for your thoughts :: Card Swami (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1981 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Just ordered one. Is it as good as it reads in the ad?
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
The best time to ask is BEFORE you order Smile:)

It's useable. But I wouldn't use it. You may as well just use a shiner, then at least your deck can be handed out for shuffling.

A nice little manuscript on "shiners" is by Rudy Hunter called "Slap a Steak On That Thing," it gives ideas for card and mental effects. It is available from Martini Magic Co in the USA (who produce it)and me in the U.K. You do get a little shiner with it, whilst the principle is simple, it does take practice and experimentation to get it right as everyones hands and fingers are different.

Paul Hallas
http://www.PH-Marketing-magic.co.uk
Gary Alford
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of Gary Alford
Invisible Eye is better - a gimmick in the card case. This means that a borrowed deck can be used. A good magician fooler if people think you are using a marked deck - hands empty, borrow a deck and read the backs of the cards!
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1981 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
The ad states you can borrow a deck with Sawmi...guess they lied
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5446 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Oh yes,Vernon,you can borrow a deck!. You just have to be skilled enough to add a little something to it!

For you guy’s who want a real workers shiner, that is, a huge, easy to see (even with my old tired eyes), easy to use, and easy to conceal (ok does take a bit of knowledge to do a finger palm and Ramsey Subtlety) shiner, then go to http://www.jamesriser.com/Magic/JamesRiserMagic.html

There you will see Jim Riser’s Shiner made from a Sacagawea Dollar (the so called “Golden Dollar”). It is not cheap but it is good!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Gary said
Invisible Eye is better - a gimmick in the card case. This means that a borrowed deck can be used. A good magician fooler if people think you are using a marked deck - hands empty, borrow a deck and read the backs of the cards!

Ah, you have them put their cards in your card case first before borrowing it? Or do you mean your card case is on the table but you borrow another deck from a magician who is there? The chances of borrowing a deck off someone when you are working is very slim unless you are at a magic convention.
But then, you did say "a good magician fooler" Gary..

Also you are limited to close proximity of the card case. I thought we were talking real world use, lol. Sorry, I couldn't resist a little good natured dig.

Paul Hallas.
Drewmcadam
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
1238 Posts

Profile of Drewmcadam
I agree with Paul. "Slap a Steak On That Thing," offer a number of simple routines and an enclosed shiner that leaves the card swami looking just a little bit lame. More trouble than it's worth, I'd say.

Drew
Jim Morton
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Jim Morton
Speaking of shiners, Bed Bath and Beyond sells two-packs of lipsticks mirrors. These are designed to fasten to the end of lipstick tubes. They make great shiners. They are a little knacky because of their size, but not hard to use, and they really easy to conceal and ditch. Check 'em out!

Jim
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
I bought this effect a while ago, and while the premise is very neat, I couldn't think of very many "real world" [close-up] applications for this. I guess the only place I would use it would be in a parlor setting where I could steal the gimmick while someone is examining a deck. Give it some work though, and a charismatic presentation, and you could just have a miracle on your hands. Good luck!
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
jecar
View Profile
Veteran user
358 Posts

Profile of jecar
Quote:
On 2002-03-13 08:08, Gary Alford wrote:

Gary, if you borrow a deck of cards and have to use your own card case, what do you do with your cards?

Jerry