The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: White Ducks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Beaudini Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
259 Posts

Profile of Beaudini Magic
Hello everyone,

I have a quick question. Does anyone know where I can get a white duck, like Copperfield's? (I don't know the exact species.) And also, what is needed to take care of it? For example, space, food, water, and temperature, and also, can they be litter box trained? Well any input would be great,

Thanks,
-Beau Alexander
"Make the Path, Others will Follow"
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
Copperfield uses, if you mean Webster, a Pekin duck. This is an Asian breed very common for eating and very pretty, so used often for duck flocks in gardens. The Pekin is a pretty big duck, as ducks go. The indian runner, an odd looking creature, is the old timer's favorite duck. They are tall and skinny. Go to Google or another search engine and put in Pekin and Indian Runner and you will see pictures.

My view is that ducks are outdoor creatures. I would never try to have one inside. Litter box training a rabbit I have done, never tried with a duck. They are animals that love to be outdoors, dig holes, eat worms and walk miles per day. They also require protection as predators will try to eat them... racoons, dogs, owls. Ducks really like company and I would not recommend one, if you are being considerate of the duck. I always keep pairs, at the minimum, just for the duck's enjoyment.

There is a place called McMurray Hatchery, again look in a search engine. They will have lots of info at their web page on poultry.

I have had ducks for 21 years, in my garden and in my act. You can respond to this or PM me if you wish further info.
quack
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
This is the time of year to order baby ducks and geese if you plan to imprint them for your act.

There are many sources. One on line is

http://www.strombergschickens.com

Enjoy!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
glodmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
501 Posts

Profile of glodmagic
Magicduck beat me to it and covered about everything. He really knows his stuff and is a friendly helpful guy.
I use(show)/love/care for them extensively also and only will add that they are Poop machines!

And YES they need friendship. Here in Virginia there is a LAW that states: no less than 6 may be sold at a time to avoid the lone duck sydrome. I laughed when they told me that "they will die of a broken heart" but once you have them you will understand.
Remember ANY of your posts here can be Googled by your customers and Clients. Just entering your name in Google can bring up your negative comments that stay for years!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Good news! If you have problems with allergies to birds, it is not likely true that you are allergic to waterfowl. Their feathers are oily. They are a lot easier to train than doves are too.

I hope you get them and enjoy them. Keep us posted if you do.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com