The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magicians of old :: Was Vernon 'Really' anything special (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27302 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
It's nice to have icons. It's like trading cards and arguing over whether Batman is better than Tarzan.
It's better to have mentors, so to learn what has worked and receive guidance in ones own progress.
IMHO it's best to have audiences from which to learn what works for you as you learn from audience feedback.

Having met the guy I can affirm he was special.

Anyone know about Manuel?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Jiceh
View Profile
Special user
France
742 Posts

Profile of Jiceh
Quote:
On 2013-10-07 10:06, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
IAnyone know about Manuel?

The coin manipulator?
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1980 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Vernon was made of fire... he was possessed. In his eighties, Vernon cared more about magic than most magicians in their twenties. Listening to him talk, it's hard to imagine anything other than magic on his mind. He was a flawed, complex, and I'm sure difficult human being. So was Picasso, Hemingway, Bukowski...

If not for Vernon, would we even know the names, "Malini" or "Leipzig"?

Watching him perform Ramsay's Cylynder and Coins when he was seventy nine (L&L dvd) was a humbling experience for me. That lecture, done when I was five years old, fell into my lap forty years later (twenty years after Vernon died) and roused me up and made me proud to call myself a magician.

There's a reason David Ben used the word "Muse" in his book title, or why Ricky Jay highlighted the man on Letterman, or David Blaine including Vernon in his international tv show.

Vernon inspired!
Jiceh
View Profile
Special user
France
742 Posts

Profile of Jiceh
Bukowski was an angel, no? ;-)
I remember seing him at french tv and I ask myself : what is the thing that takes him most of his time? Writing or drinking...
KIDDMAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of KIDDMAGIC
Too read that Dai Vernon was not good at communication is kind of ridicuous in my opinion. His lecture at the Magic Castle in 1981 that I winessed is one of my fondest memories. He talked and entertained for two hours telling stories about Malini and many others.
Even less known as David Kidd

Baltimore, Md. Curator of

THE MAGIC OF BALTIMORE
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
VernonOnCoins:

The comments you make in your post, above, about seeing Dai Vernon perform Ramsay's Cylinder and Coins at age 79 and having a "humbling" experience very much RESONATES with me.

Vernon, the sleight of hand artist, was, quite simply, superb....

And in my personal opinion, having had a love affair with performing Magic since 1956......I can honestly say that Ramsay's Cylinder and Coins is THE single most difficult Magic Trick to perform WELL that I have ever seen in my life......

I have never had the opportunity to see either Ramsay or Vernon do this; but had the distinct priviledge of seeing John Carney perform his version and it was a thing of beauty...

And KIDDMAGIC:

I completely agree with you regarding Vernon's communication skills...in fact, I was somewhat amazed at how voiceiferous Vernon was, seemingly holding multiple conversations with many magicians all at the same time...anyone who has seen Vernon working Magician's conventions Knows what I mean...Having said that, conversely, Vernon was AMAZINGLY TOTALLY SILENT WHEN Slydini WAS PERFORMING.....The Professor was watching his every move and studying every single nuance of Slydini's timing, misdirection and "blocking"....and Vernon listened INTENTLY to every word Slydini said.......

Watching Vernon watch Slydini....was AMAZING TO ME!
Andrew Immerman
View Profile
Regular user
California
108 Posts

Profile of Andrew Immerman
Dai Vernon was easily one of the most significant contributers to magic to date. His illusions remain among the strongest and most astonishing of all effects. Triumph alone inspired countless magicians, countless variations, and remains one of the most astounding of effects to lay people and magicians alike.

Many of the greatest magicians of the 20th century payed homage to "The Professor" in one form or another. It's my understanding that Larry Jennings, Bruce Cervon, Michael Skinner, Persi Diaconis, Doug Henning, Ricky Jay, Max Maven, David Roth, Michael Ammar, John Carney, and numerous others moved to Hollywood with hopes of regularly sitting with the professor.

Publications and productions dedicated to his works, numbering in the dozens, cover technique, presentation, philosophy, psychology, history, and more. These remain among the most preeminent works in all of magic.

If you're still in doubt, pick up the Vernon Chronicles (books) and Revelations (DVDs). Listen to and learn from the lessons! Experience the admiration! Experience the charm! Vernon's "The Story of a Trick" is worth the price of Revelations alone.

It's all been said, twice, at least!

Andrew
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
I have a listing of the Vernon Revelations VHS tapes for sale in Let's Make A Magic Deal. Not sure why these haven't been snatched up already. They truly show Vernon as he was.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Brian Thomas
View Profile
New user
Virginia
61 Posts

Profile of Brian Thomas
What a wonderful thread. And to think -- it stemmed from a post that was a bit nonsensical. I came of age in the seventies and would have given almost anything to meet Dai Vernon. To read here in this forum the personal thoughts and feelings of those whom knew him, worked with him, or were simply fortunate enough to meet him, was a pleasure. Thank you all for bringing him back, even if only for a moment. This thread is truly a keeper.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1913 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Atom3339 wrote back in May that he had the Vernon Revelations VHS tapes listed in the "Let's Make a Deal" section of the Café. Did anyone purchase them? I have both the VHS tapes and the later DVD set released by L&L. If no one ever bought them, it may be because the DVDs were released and people just aren't watching VHS tapes any more. There was some slight editing done on the VHS tapes when the transfer was made. No tricks or tips were edited out, unless you consider some of Vernon's minor comments criticizing other magicians a tip on the right or wrong way to present magic.

----- Sonny
----- Sonny Narvaez
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Sonny, I didn't sell them. The total lack of interest surprises me. Yes, they are still available if anyone is interested. If I didn't have the set on DVD, I'd hold them tight.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
BAGWIZ
View Profile
Loyal user
San Francisco Bay Area
236 Posts

Profile of BAGWIZ