The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: We double dare you! :: Wacky idea (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
I woke up this morning & this idea was running through my head. Several spectators pick cards, you shuffle them back in the deck, etc........ As you look for the selections, you can’t find them.

After several failed attempts, you move on to a game where the spectators can win prizes, a sort of game show. The spectators compete for fabulous prizes (have pictures of cars, boats, houses, etc.)

The spectators don’t win the big prizes, they all end up with parting gifts. A box of cracker jacks, macaroni & cheese, etc.

When they open them up, their cards are inside.

Ichazod

Smile
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
That sounds really awesome. Once you get the routine down, let me know I’d love to hear how it plays out for ya!!!!! Smile
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
Steve Landavazo
View Profile
Special user
Northern California
654 Posts

Profile of Steve Landavazo
As usual Mike, you've got another great idea!

Keep it up!

Steve Smile
Courage is the willingness to be afraid and act anyway!
Cliff
View Profile
New user
Warrington, England.
73 Posts

Profile of Cliff
I can’t remember who it was, but I have seen someone do something like this before. Then found the card in a packet of mints. Smile

All the best

Cliff
All the best

Cliff
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
I'm sure it has been done before, I just think the presentation could make the routine a stand out effect.

Thank you all for the input so far Smile
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Terrific idea.

It elevates a mundane card trick into real magic theatre.

I do a comedy routine called Wheel Of Jeopardy, with gag questions and a very one-sided competition. This is the sort of thing that could round it out and make it a superb piece of comedy magic.

Multi-thanks for passing along the idea.

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5937 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Hey Peter,

Takes that lil' card trick onto the stage. Great idea. What if there was a signed revelation that actually appeared on the wheel.

I call it wheel of misfortune. Misfortune being the card trick part. The last spin part of the wheel comes off to reveal the final card.

I'm off too buy a vowel Smile
Mr. Ed
View Profile
Veteran user
California
337 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ed
Quick thought here, maybe the signed card could be the indicator on the wheel???

Is that what it's called the flap that makes all the racket?

Smile
He who laughs, lasts.
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
I hate tricks where the magician seemingly fails...I think it's simply not very good magic, and is rarely accepted by the audience unless he is really bad... why not just tell them to remember their cards for later.. or have them all signed.. and load them later, one at a time.

What about doing the selections.. and simply handing spectators random objects during the rest of the routine...
then they can open the objects at the end.
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
Whether the magician seems to fail or not is a question of style, not good or bad magic. The two greatest magicians in the world probably have three opinions on any issue like that.

None-the-less, this is an excellent idea, and that the products seem to be new and sealed makes it all the better.

--alan Smile
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
dukenotes
View Profile
New user
Winchester, KY
70 Posts

Profile of dukenotes
Quote:
On 2002-04-28 03:52, alleycat wrote:
Whether the magician seems to fail or not is a question of style, not good or bad magic. The two greatest magicians in the world probably have three opinions on any issue like that.

I agree with this statement 100%. Makeupguy, you may be looking at it from a magician's standpoint. You know the magician is not going to fail, but the average spectator doesn't. I think for the average spectator these things usually are like 2 tricks in 1.

Duke

:bluebikes:
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
Quote:
On 2002-04-29 03:25, dukenotes wrote:
You know the magician is not going to fail, but the average spectator doesn't.

Seconded.
That's a nice point well made, Duke.

It all depends on your personal choice of presentation.
I never portray myself as a slick and polished cardshark, so I can easily get away with seemingly failing.

Stephen
:carrot: Smile Smile Smile
Hello.
Kent Messmer
View Profile
Veteran user
Montana
337 Posts

Profile of Kent Messmer
People, I think, like it when the magician fails. (or so they think) It is like watching a car race or a bull rider, you want them to crash and get bucked off. Not to get hurt or anything but to fail. When we see someone else fail we feel better about ourselves. This is not a good thing but it happens.
Balentine, The Amazing Johnathan are just a couple of people that "fail" all the time at their magic trick and it works for them. Not everyone can do this just as not everyone can perform a perfect polished magic show where everything works. To each his own style and not to copy someone else.

Now to the subject at hand. I can't do this and it's not magic but I think it would be wacky. When handing something out to the audience say " I'm going to pass out..." then fall to the floor. Wacky no?