The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: David Kong's Muscle Pass DVD (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Here's a VERY important quote from John Cornelius:

"David Kong is a master of the Muscle Pass. This is the best, most complete, and only authorized DVD teaching my "Coin that Falls Up" and "Coin Through Window" since my tutorial on Micheal Ammar's Classic Renditions video. Beware the imitators............ get the real thing!" - John Cornelius

David, kudos to you for relasing a DVD the right way!

Here's David's site: http://www.TheMusclePass.com
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
Thanks for stopping by David! I ordered my copy earlier this week.
I'm looking forward to it arriving.

I'm with you Christopher, if John Cornelius makes a statement like that it certainly says a fair bit doesn't it?

cheers!
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5211 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Hey David, are you selling any copies yourself? I would like to buy one directly from you. Keep up with your studies! I know I should. Smile
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
Quote:
On 2008-10-20 09:00, DVLKCC wrote:
Hey David, are you selling any copies yourself? I would like to buy one directly from you. Keep up with your studies! I know I should. Smile

I really appreciate the thought!
The DVD will be available from my website http://www.DavidKong.net soon, but I don't have it all working quite yet. I'll let you guys know when I'm ready.

- David
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
Quote:
On 2008-10-20 09:00, DVLKCC wrote:

Upon more reflection, I've decided not to offer the DVD myself. I'm afraid I just don't have the time and energy to organize all of that. Go ahead and buy it from your favorite magic dealer!
I'll still be happy to answer any questions you guys have for me.

Cheers,
- David
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
Well I received my copy today, sat down and watched it...

Oh-my-gosh!! THIS is the dvd I've always wanted. Very well explained, tips to help with your technique and lots of tricks/routines that showcase the Muscle Pass. To say I was impressed is an understatement!! I very much enjoyed the footage from Classic Renditions with Ammar and Cornelius. I knew of it but had never seen it. Great to hear Cornelius talk about the MP. For those that believe the MP is a waste of time and only see it as 'The Coin That Falls Up' well...continue to think that way, don't buy this DVD. All the power to me and those that see the MP's potential! lol
I'll leave it to others to give a more formal blow-by-blow review but for me, this DVD kicks ***!!

There is a Muscle Pass God and his name is David Kong...

James
Wayne Kawamoto
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of Wayne Kawamoto
This is an excellent DVD. I have long performed muscle pass and this is the DVD that I wish was around when I was trying to learn it. Fortunately, a pro taught me the basics that I couldn't glean from books and experimenting.

My review:
http://magic.about.com/od/magicianwebpag......scle.htm

-Wayne
www.Magic.About.com - Magic News and Reviews
Author: "Picture Yourself As a Magician"
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
Good review Wayne. Thanks for posting that!
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
By the way, the John Cornelius section on the video is the same video from Classic Renditions. It's not a great transfer either, but it'll do. I see some good material here, but some of it just doesn't strike me as useful. Muscle Passing coins from each hand into the other may look cool, but it's not exactly hard for the spectators to rationalize.
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
Quote:
On 2008-10-23 11:08, Jeff Corn wrote:
Muscle Passing coins from each hand into the other may look cool, but it's not exactly hard for the spectators to rationalize.

With all due respect, I think this is because you have never tried performing that effect.

The Muscle Pass as a move would never occur to a spectator - it doesn't seem physically possible - so when you perform it invisibly, the spectators are left without any rational solution.

The key is to keep your hands far enough apart that a coin couldn't have been "tossed" across, and you have to make sure that you move your hands *only* vertically as you shake.
I'm not saying it doesn't take practice. But trust me, I've performed this plenty of times with great success.

- David
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
I've seen too many laymen reactions to the MP to buy into the idea that
it can be rationalized that easily...
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
I've done it. I tried it as a flourish. I think it looks great, but didn't see it as something to keep up on. I just don't see it as practical. It's cool that it works for you, though. It's just not my style. I did like the references to other DVDs that you had no connections too. Too many magic companies want to pretend they're the only ones that exist. I'm glad other people have put together some good ideas for the Muscle Pass, though. I'm still waiting to see Shoot's DVDs. I've got Jay's and saw Kris Nevling's and thought they both missed a few things, but were good enough.
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2031 Posts

Profile of Platt
I watched David's DVD the other night. My first thought was, 'oh no, this young kid just learned the muscle pass and rushed a DVD onto the market.' Of course that's not the case. David has obviously put a substantial amount of time into the pass and his routines. His explanation of the basic mp is very good. For many people his teachings of the basic technique, along with the Cornelius section will be worth the price of the DVD. David's individual tricks, while fairly original, were not exactly what I was looking for. I was hoping to see more uses for invisibly passing a coin from one hand to the other. I'm a huge fan of the Sylvester Pitch and have slowly been incorporating a muscle pass into similar routines. I was looking for further inspiration, and am sorry to say, didn't receive it. However I have no regrets for purchasing this DVD and recommend it to anyone learning or improving on their technique.

For those who have their technique in a good place, I very highly recommend the Shoot Ogawa Muscle Pass 2 DVD set. While I didn't so much care for his teaching of the basic MP technique, I prefer his style of effects to David's. He teaches some killer vanishes, transfers and uses as a click pass. Pretty mindblowing stuff along the lines of Akira's Jet Coins.

Nice job David. If you've got the money, you can't go wrong picking up both DVDs.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
Lord Freddie
View Profile
Inner circle
1093 Posts

Profile of Lord Freddie
I echo the sentiments above and agree that this is a great DVD for learning the MP and also has some good uses for it. I learnt the basic technique from a coin site and David's DVD has helped to perfect it.
It'll take a long time to reach his standard, but this DVD is filled with sold advice and it's great to see some real world reactions rather than sanitised studio ones. Good work!
hbwolkov
View Profile
Inner circle
2947 Posts

Profile of hbwolkov
In the words of one of my old professors " nothing worth doing is worth doing well". I am glad someone has found value in learning and performing the muscle pass.
Northern California