The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Sanada Gimmick Fit (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
shammond
View Profile
New user
Ohio
56 Posts

Profile of shammond
I just got a Sanada Gimmick to use on sponge ball routines. The illustrations in the instructions are a little hard to read. I understand the concept behind the gimmick. But I'm not sure if it's the correct fit. It mentions that the gimmick might need to be trimmed, but how much? As it is, the gimmick extends from the base of my middle two fingers to about halfway between the second joint and the end of the fingers. The ball of those finger tips is able to wrap around the gimmick. But somehow it seems to long. Should I trim it back to the second joint and then let the fingers wrap around it at the joint. But if I trim that off, that reduces room for hiding things. Ideally how should it fit?
Sean Fields
View Profile
V.I.P.
Winnipeg
894 Posts

Profile of Sean Fields
All Sanada gimmicks should be trimmed to fit you personally.

To trim them, take a pair of scissors, and cut off a little bit from each end (the base end, and the fingers end).

What you are attempting to do, is get the gimmick the right size to COMFORTABLY be held at the base of the fingers, and the bottom of the first phalange of the two middle fingers.

Be careful, if you trim too much, your hand will look cramped, and won't take a very large load.

You may also want to trim the sides slightly, so the gimmick matches your fingers a little closer.

Later,

Sean
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
. . . and the bottom of the first phalange of the two middle fingers.

Phalanx.

;)
doofydafus
View Profile
New user
Oxfordshire, UK
45 Posts

Profile of doofydafus
Folks
Could someone explain what the gimmick achieves in a sponge ball routine? Thanks.

Regards
Peter
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
It allows for barehand productions & vanishes of spongeballs. I've never seen a vanish done well, but a production is excellent.
Sean Fields
View Profile
V.I.P.
Winnipeg
894 Posts

Profile of Sean Fields
Thanks for the correction, S2000. Bit of a brain fart there...lol! Sorry about that.

Later,

Sean
shammond
View Profile
New user
Ohio
56 Posts

Profile of shammond
Thanks, Sean, for the information on the Sanada. I will ponder it carefully before I make any cuts!
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3434 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On 2003-04-15 16:24, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
. . . and the bottom of the first phalange of the two middle fingers.

Phalanx.

;)

Actually, gentlemen, either is correct!

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
Remember that the longer the gimmick the closer it will fit to your fingers and thus the tougher it will be to fit a spongeball in there. That said, trim a little bit at a time until it feels comfortable. You can always trim more.

Paul
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
Nikos
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of Nikos
I was at a lecture/demo by Sean Taylor (Australian magician who owns and runs a magic shop with his wife in Australia). Sean was demoing and explaining new stock, one of which was the Senada Gimmick. Sean's handling sold me on it that night. It was very nice and it blew everyone away.
I have been practicing the handling, but found I had to do a lot of trimming of the gimmick in order to get it to fit comfortably.Sean Fields said, in his post, that it won't take a large load....this is true, but it isn't supposed to. That's like saying a TT can't produce a dove.
*Not having a go at you Sean I just think that remark may sell it short because it has loads of potential.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Quote:
On 2003-04-15 18:50, S2000magician wrote:
It allows for barehand productions & vanishes of spongeballs. I've never seen a vanish done well, but a production is excellent.
Wow, all I can say is, I hope you haven't seen my sponge routine before you said that! Smile

I have had rooms full of magicians gasp audibly at the complete vanish of all three sponges at the end of my routine. Guess how I do it?
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1700 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Camera trick.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2003-04-16 03:11, Scott F. Guinn wrote:
Quote:
Wow, all I can say is, I hope you haven't seen my sponge routine before you said that! Smile

I have had rooms full of magicians gasp audibly at the complete vanish of all three sponges at the end of my routine. Guess how I do it?

Rest easy; I haven't.

And I needn't guess; I can think.

;)
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1276 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
Quote:
I've never seen a vanish done well, but a production is excellent.

Have you ever seen Jay Scott Berry lecture? He does some work with this gimmick that is just amazing!
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
Andrew
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of Andrew
Prior to buying one of Scott Guinn's books, I had not used the Sanada gimmick...but now that I have seen the PB&J routine, I'm going to give it a go!

I had always referred to this item as a "trap", but Sanada sounds more ‘sophisticated’...one question; just what is the correct pronunciation of “Sanada”? (I want to sound sophisticated when I talk about it!)

Thanks. (And thanks Scott for your book...lots of great ideas…especially your presentation of ‘Bill in Lemon’.)

Andrew
Andrew
Professional Provider of Wonderment!
www.andrewsfamilymagic.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Sanada is pronounced Sah Nah Dah -- he is one of Japan's best card acts, and a very nice, and very funny guy.

His gimmick, with work from Jay Scott Berry, is pricless.

Here's one I use it for.

Load sponge ball, hold hand with fingers SLIGHTLY CURLED with the index fingertip agianst the end of your thumb.

Kinda like you make a telescope shape...you peer through it, then HOLD IT RIGHT UP TO SPECTATOR'S EYE (thumb side) and ask if they see anything?

They say no and you reach in and produce the ball, or silk, or whatever. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
dchung
View Profile
Special user
Montreal
616 Posts

Profile of dchung
Pete,

I've seen Jay do this at a lecture. It was fantastic. I believe he called it the Vortex Position.