The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: I'm a real boy! :: Any suggestions on scripting this situation? (One speaks English. One speaks Sign Language) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I have an idea for an act but I'm not use to this kind of scripting. It seems more like the kind of routine a ventriloquist would do rather then a magician. So I thought I'd come in here and see if any of you might have some suggestions.

First let me describe the situation. I don't normally come to this part of the forum so I'll first point the fact that I came up with this act because I'm deaf and it ha to do with that.

Ok. The Emcee has introduced me and told the audience that I'm deaf. This is done in a humorous way but none the less they audience does know that I'm deaf before I walk out.

I start to talk in sign language to the audience. Realizing they can't understand me I solve the problem by drawing a face on a sketch pad. Prop it up put a microphone in front of it. Then I start to talk in sign language to the audience again. The drawing comes to life (Eyes and mouth move) and it says aloud everything I say in sign language. So the drawing is the audiences interpreter.

Later when I bring an audience member on stage to assist me I ask their name. I can't get it so I open a box and a hand comes out and tells me their name in sign language (Similar to the hand on The Adams Family). So the hand in the box is now my interpreter.

This brings me to the part I'm a little stuck on. Because I want to create a short act in which the drawing, the hand and myself interact with each other. Kind of like a ventriloquist act with two puppets. Not a long act. Just a little entertaining conversation of some kind.

It's an unusual situation because right now the only "voice" they can hear is the drawing. But the hand could say things that they can understand such as gestures. So I'm thinking this has potential to be a unique act.

Now let me share what idea I have thought of so far.

One idea is I stand between them and do some trick. Something stupid like pulling feather flowers from me sleeve. The drawing tells the audience how I'm doing it. I obviously don't know he's telling them my secrets because I can't hear him. Then I'm thinking the hand comes out of the box. Gets my attention and tells me what the drawing is doing.

I'm kind of stuck on what to do next as far as scripting. I will tell you that the act that fallows this will have to do with a sheet of paper. So I'm thinking of a script that would make it logical for me to rip the drawing off the pad and use that sheet of paper for the next act. So the "Conversation" between me, the drawing and the hand will lead to me ripping the drawing off he pad and folding it. Then I'll use it for my next act.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
588 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
Ron,

I like the concept. It sounds really good, particularly in your situation.
If you could use the Remote Drawing board, or another Axtell remote (Obviously an expensive solution) it would enable you to do what you described above and much more.

I'm sorry I don't have any scripting ideas for you, but you have the core concept and it's good. As you develop it other ideas will emerge.

Good luck with the act.

Oliver
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Yes, I've already talked to Sean Bogunia about making one of his Ultimate Sketch Pads work by remote control. So an off stage assistant will control the drawing as if it was a puppet by remote and also provide the voice that they hear the drawing say. I'm exploring some other options as well that won't require any off stage help. But as you said, it's not a cheap solution but a possible one.

What do you think of this idea as far as the scripting goes. Right now the only voice they can hear is the drawings. I'm thinking it might also be interesting if I can speak too (Which I can). But in order for the opening to work I can't speak. Otherwise there will be no need for the drawing. So I'm thinking of something along the lines of the hand from the box pulls some "Hocus Pocus" on me and I can suddenly talk.

Thanks for the reply and thoughts.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.