The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: I'm a real boy! :: A big challenge... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
OK all you pro vents...

I need some advice (besides - go to the gym more.) Smile

I experience arm fatigue while holding up the figure. I set the figure on a table but my elbow has nothing to rest on and therefor, must support the weight of the figure for the entire routine.

Is this a common problem? Should I rig up something inside of the figure (kinda like a crutch for my elbow) that would run from where my elbow is to the figures "bottom" to support my arm? I'm a little new to this area of entertainment, so any advice would be much appreciated.

Lyndel
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
Maybe try adjusting the height a bit. If the figure is sitting on a table, you shouldn't be supporting the weight of the figure or putting strain on the wrist.

What kind of figure? Hard figure?
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
608 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
What kind of hard figure do you have? If you have one that has the popular "ball and socket" type--where the bottom of the neck glides smoothly on top of the neck hole--you should have no problem because the figure's neck area and shoulder support the weight of the head.

Again please tell us what you have so we can give you exact advise.
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
I've got an Axtell Jazzman... So there's no control stick to hold onto or body frame to help support the figure.

It's really not that heavy, it just SEEMS that way after a seven or eight minute routine. Smile

Lyndel
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Lyndel,
I had the same problem starting out. Over time, with practice, that goes away. The gym isn't a bad idea!

You could always add a shelf to your table that would allow you to rest your elbow - but the smart thing to do would be to keep working with it and eventually the fatigue will disappear.
Tom
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

TRUMPETMAN
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
705 Posts

Profile of TRUMPETMAN
I'll second Tom on this one ! I started out using the fuzzy sheepdog used by many magicians. He doesn't weigh much, and has a tiny mouth. Then, I got the Axtell small book. Hmmm, this thing requires more work on the mouth, my arm is getting a bit tired. No problem, I don't use it all the time anyway, just on library shows. Then....I got my Wanlu custom pelican, with a mouth the size of Montana ! Not a really heavy puppet by amy means, but WOW...was I sore the first couple of shows ! I plan to use this guy on almost all my shows, so at first , I was worried. Then the darndest thing happened, my arm muscles started to get stronger, and the puppet seemed to get lighter ! All it took was building up the muscles in that arm. Practice and performance time was all it took....

8~)

Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
(who hopes to drive up the road and see Lyndel perform, someday !)
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
facebook.com/robbietheringmaster
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
I had a similar problem with some of my puppets but I got used to it Smile

Try adjusting the height of the stand...

Wanlu Smile
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net