The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Thinking Bunny Box but open to suggestions... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
I have been looking around for props I can modify to work with my bearded dragons. For those not familiar, these are medium sized lizards. I have three and am looking to incorporate them in my act.

They range in size from 18-24 inches. They are docile when handled, but agressive towards one another if put together. After producing them, I am considering using a modified bunny box to execute a vanish.

However, I am looking for other ideas as well. I need to be able to build the prop myself so that it can be modified to keep them together in the chamber etc but separated so they don't kill each other.

Any holding area can be as small as 12"LX4"HX4"W. The only restriction other than the need to separate them is that they cannot be flipped onto their backs the way a dove could.
I live my life for a layer of ice
Just like those poured by my bartender vice
Any taste of vermouth would be really sublime,
When you have a good martini time!

-The Reverend Horton Heat
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
The bunny box is not good as a vanish. Here's why. As a production, you show the box empty, the audience accepts that it is empty, you close the door and a dragon appears. But in a vanish, you put a dragon in the box and then open the door and let them look inside... they spend their time trying to see how you concealed the dragon. Not good. You want to leave no doubt that the dragon is not there. That's the purpose of a take apart vanish... to show each piece and leave no doubt that the dove (dragon) has gone.

Consider instead a modified vanishing dove cage. It has been modified so that it contains three clear plastic sections, one for each dragon, but the audience is not aware that the dragons are separated by clear plastic. The problem with all vanishing dove cages (sorry folks who have them) is that the audience can figure out perfectly well where they all went. You need to leave them no room to guess where the doves (or dragons) went. I have a solution for that, but I am not ready to part with it just yet, but think along those lines- something that separates the dragons invisibly and allows no room to guess where they might have gone.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
Perhaps I called the box wrong- In Mark Wilson there is what he calls a bunny box in which a rabbit is placed into a box on a tray held by an assistant. The box is covered with a cloth and lifted off the tray and carried to center stage where it's vanished. Very similar to the vanishing bowl of water but a box with live animals instead.

I was thinking of building it so that the audience can see into the box so there is no doubt (use bars or slats instead of solid panels) that the dragons actually went in because they will be ableto see them right up to the point where the box is covered.

Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I understand; I thought you were referring to the trick sold in stores also called the "Bunny Box." But in that case, consider making the entire box of clear plastic like an aquarium with invisible dividers to keep your dragons apart. But don't your dragons object to being flipped over?
Now that I know you have Mark Wilson's book, I refer you to the "Take-Apart Vanish" in that same chapter. The rabbit remains upright all through the vanish process. All you need to do it make a three way load bag to hold three dragons separately. Will they go crazy if they feel the body of another dragon next to them? You might test that theory first before you actually build it.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
I like the idea of having a clear case.

They can be turned the 90 degrees required to execute this vanish safely. It's keeping them on their backs for more a few seconds (like hypnotizing a dove etc) that casues a problem.

I am not sure how they would react being in sacks next to each other. I guess a few pillow cases and some trial and error would answer that.

I actually have an old Abbot's newspaper tear apart I thought of using, but the chamber is a bit too small. I also have an old night club dove vanish which is the right size for my middle size lizard, but neither meets the parameters for what I need, but I like the concepts.

However, they might make a good reference point for building and incorporating your idea about 3 separate chambers.

Loopback
View Profile
Veteran user
Lincoln, Nebraska
359 Posts

Profile of Loopback
I have built the Mark Wilson Take Apart vanish for my rabbits and it works really well to make a small rabbit disappear. I made it per the specs in the book and my Holland Lop barely fits in the bag. I would suggest making the bag a bit deeper.
revmike
View Profile
Special user
Annville, PA
646 Posts

Profile of revmike
Good luck as you need to keep them separated.
The magic is not in our sleights and illusions, but instead in our ability to bring love and joy.
montymagi
View Profile
Special user
Slidell La
752 Posts

Profile of montymagi
Drew I have one I am about to put in my show. They are great! I'm using the bunny box and messing up the drawing of the bunny and the dragon is the result. PM me if you want to talk "magic dragons".
raywitko
View Profile
Special user
western Pa
527 Posts

Profile of raywitko
Do you have an assistant? You can make a plexi box with deviders on a tray and vanish them like the water bowl vanish.
Ray
Sometimes it seems there are more than one of me.

Tabman USA
magicdmv
email me at [email]fursclass@magicdmv.com[/email]