The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: I'm a real boy! :: Routining (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
I am working on revamping the order of my show slightly for better "flow". My question is this...

I currently open with with a little warm up/stand up, then do my first character, the do the huamn puppet routine "to show how vent works"

My question is - should I start with the stand up, then the mask, and then go into the characters? Or stay as is with a character before the masks?
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
608 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
Arranging routines is always based, at least for me, on doing experiments. I've tried juggling my routines until I've come up with one with a nice "flow." So, Neale, experiment and you'll get your answer.

However, having said that, I'd do the novelty vent acts (like your masks) in the middle of the show. It's great to open with a warm-up, then your first character, then a novelty vent bit, then (if you want) another character to end your vent show.

I also do lots of novelty vent bits, and I place them in the middle.
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1058 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
Mark Wade's formula is pretty tried and true.
1. Warm-Up
2. First Puppet (Usually an Animal, I use Waylon Coyote doing a magic trick..)
3. Vent Specialty (The mask would fit well here, I use the Axtell drawing board)
4. Magic w/audience participation (I sort of combine this with number 5, but I'm only doing a 30-35 minute show. I think a rabbit-in-the-hat puppet routine would also fit well here)
5. Second Puppet (Mark says person or object puppet, but I'd just say to use your star here, Horton maybe, I use Henry here with a routine followed by the quiz show -ooh I forgot, there's a cool twist to the quiz show somebody shared with me today.. e-mail me)
6. Closing
I use this format for my vent shows and it's reliable
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Neale,
What is your strongest bit? What gets the most reaction and applause? That is your closer - period - no matter what it is.

Your opener should be personal - get the audience to like you and laugh with you - win them over a.s.a.p. usually within the first ten seconds - that's right - ten seconds.

Next, go into your second strongest bit - it shows them you have talent, are entertaining and they will have a good time. Now you can add in a weaker routine that you are honing - if you have to. They will stay with you if you have opened well.

Like I said, close with your strongest routine. You want to leave everyone talking, laughing, applauding and wanting more. Others call the masks a novelty or specialty bit - but all I know is I close every show with mine and it is the bit that gets more people asking for a business card than any other thing I do.
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
Our strongest bit (and funniest) is our "Game Show" routine with Horton Hogg. We always close with that.

My "get to know me" is a bit of stand up that I warm up with.

The mask is probably one of the stronger routines too so it would work to use it first (after the warm up)

I do follow the Mark Wade formula to a degree as well with my magic in the middle (only a couple of tricks including Bill Boley's Joanne the Duck routine which cobines magic and vent).
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com