The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricky business :: What to do? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Client rings and books
BUT
They don't return booking form
They don't return calls
Venue does not have you on the list of performers/service

What would you do?
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2478 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
You don't have a booking. Give up and accept anything else for that day.

I can't help it, but my mind strays: "She said she'd marry me, but she didn't show up to get the license and she doesn't return my calls. The church says there's no wedding scheduled for that day. What would you do?"

I've had it happen, "we definitely want you, but we'll be out of town until the week before the show, just send the papers and we'll deal with them as soon as we get back." They don't return my calls that week, and like an idiot I show up. "We booked someone else..." [*door slams*]
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7568 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Nick -

Here's what I would do in that situation.

I would send them one more letter letting them know that unless they call AND SPEAK with me immediately (give a deadline), then I have to cancel the booking because they haven't been returning my calls or sent the signed paperwork. I would make it clear that messages aren't acceptable, they have to speak with me.

I would also hint that the appropriate thing to do, is to call and let me know if they decide to cancel the booking. I might even tell them that I turned away other paid bookings for that date and time, because of my prior arrangement with them.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
Nick:

This happened to me once before and because of that, I made one minor change to my contract.

I DO NOT sign the contract when I send it to the client. I send them two copies, of which they are to sign both copies and return them to me. When I get both copies back, I sign a copy and return it to them. To my way of thinking, this should cover me as they DON'T have my signature on the contract.

This all came about once when a client modified my own contract, entering in a rain clause which I don't have, and returned it to me at the last possible minute. Luckily, it didn't rain that day but I learned a lesson after that one.

Gerry
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Great advice above. As stated, you don't have a contract. You might send them one more letter as a courtesy, with a short deadline, and see what happens. I also think Gerry is onto something. That's an interesting idea of not sending anything with your signature on it, just in case, until you actually get a true commitment from them. Hmmm...

Good luck. Mark.
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
Get a friend or if you have a secretary or personal assistant, get them to call on a different number and see if they are screening. Let them be professional and courteous.
"Good morning, this is Michelle from Johnson Entertainment, I am calling with regards to the booking for Nicholas J. Johnson, on the evening of _________. We have't received a deposit or contract back and other clients of ours are very anxious to book that date. Would it be alright if I faxed the contract?"

Might put them for a loop if they did potentially hire someone else, by throwing a little competition in the mix.

Jay
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Donald is roght on the money with this. What I do is make sure it is in writing and spoken to them about what is considered a booking. Simply stated it means that unless they return the booking form etc. then the show is not considered booked and the date will be opened up for another event. If you have it spelled out for them and make it very clear to them, then you are covered and it shouldalso push them into making a decision faster.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2478 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
On 2008-09-21 04:33, Gerry Walkowski wrote:
I DO NOT sign the contract when I send it to the client. I send them two copies, of which they are to sign both copies and return them to me.

Excellent thought.

My contract is broken down into clear sections (bullet points) each beginning with a bold-type summary of its topic, and the last clause is this:

7: THE DEAL IS NOT FINAL UNTIL THE CONTRACT IS RETURNED - This contract is the complete agreement, and is not final until accepted and signed by Blue Ridge Entertainment.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Quote:
On 2008-09-21 04:33, Gerry Walkowski wrote: . . . . a client modified my own contract, entering in a rain clause which I don't have, and returned it to me at the last possible minute. Luckily, it didn't rain that day but I learned a lesson after that one.

Your idea of having the client sign first is a very good one. However, in the above situation, where the client tried to pull a fast one and modify the agreement, I believe that if your original agreement is modified by the client, it then becomes the client's offer, and it's then up to you to decide whether or not you want to accept the client's offer, regardless of who signed what. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7568 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I was thinking about the idea of a prompt, returned contract, and I remembered this thread (actually, I mostly remembered Starrpower/Mark's comments on the thread):

Cafe thread titled... Impose deadlines for clients

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
freddyganz
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of freddyganz
Does anyone get a deposit from the customer when they book? Would this help to avoid this kind of situation?

Thanks.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4713 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
I always require a non-refundable deposit to hold the date of the booking. Unless I get back the LoA and the check, then the day remains up for grabs.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
I never require a deposit unless the gig is for $1,000.00 or more.

Good advice by Gerry... I like the idea of supplying them the signed contract only after I have checked it over and signed it. The only negative to that is that it's a little more bookkeeping...

Lyndel
LVMagicAL
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of LVMagicAL
I require a 50% show fee as a deposit to "confirm and guarantee the event". the booking is not confirmed until I receive the deposit (and signed confirmation letter). This seems to work well. The client knows that I will show up because I want the balance of my money, and I know the client is serious because they've paid half the fee in advance. It also makes the amount due on "show day" a bit smaller and seems to lead to nicer tips. Not that this is the perfect way to do it, but it seems to work well for me. I do make exceptions for government agencies and such who have a convoluted payment system, but for private and most corporate events, that's the way I do it. I send them the confirmation letter via e-mail as a .pdf format document attahment so they can't change the language on me (or at least not easily.....)

My cancellation policy reads: "If you need to cancel this event for any reason, 50% of the fee will be due as a cancellation charge. If cancellation occurs with less than 72 hours notice, the full fee will be payable (emergency circumstances notwithstanding). If performer cancels due to illness, Act of God, etc., all efforts will be made to find a suitable replacement. If performer is unable to find suitable replacement, client is entitled to a full refund of all monies paid in relation to this event. Las Vegas Magical Entertainment limits its’ liability to a refund of any monies paid as full and complete remedy for any disagreements and/or dissatisfactions with the performance."

I didn't have a lawyer draw up this language....it might be a good idea for anyone to have an attoeney review this language prior to including it into their contrat or confirmation letter.
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
No charge for that one, guys. You see, and you didn't even have to spend $150 on the latest magic marketing course to learn that one. Odds are, though, someone will eventually lift that idea and peddle it as their own.

Lyndel, you're right; it is a lot more paperwork. I will say this, though. It has saved me a ton of headaches throughout the years.

Enjoy,

Gerry
martin king
View Profile
Elite user
416 Posts

Profile of martin king
Quote:
On 2008-09-22 19:39, Gerry Walkowski wrote:
No charge for that one, guys. You see, and you didn't even have to spend $150 on the latest magic marketing course to learn that one. Odds are, though, someone will eventually lift that idea and peddle it as their own.

Lyndel, you're right; it is a lot more paperwork. I will say this, though. It has saved me a ton of headaches throughout the years.

Enjoy,

Gerry

Mr Walkowski,

May I lift your idea and then put it in my marketing course which I'll sell for $150.00?...