The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: APPS-alutely :: Iphone (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Should I buy an iphone? My current phone is dying!

I need a diary, phone and GPS would be nice!

Is it worth it?
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
My brother is a techno geek and returned his after a week and went back to his Treo! I do have a friend that has one and thinks it's the greatest gadget going!

I'm personally too hard on a phone to even entertain the idea but I think I'd wait long enough to see the bugs worked out before sinking that much money into one!

I must admit that they do look cool though!

Just my thoughts,

Mick
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
My friend who has had it for a week said he has had to reset it twice already...

still they are cool
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Law
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Law
My iphone (1st gen) just crashed with the latest update, so I'm probably not in an objective mood. I'm also no fan of iTunes, which is required to use the phone. The latest iTunes update (v.8) requires 512 MB of RAM - I've got 256 MB - iTunes now won't load. Phone won't work without iTunes. I had to restore using my wife's laptop to get my phone functioning again.

My advice on the iphone is wait for the 3rd or 4th generation. It's an impressive concept, but the implementation still has kinks that aren't resolved yet.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I love my first generation iPhone! Also, iTunes is not necessarily required to use it.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
IPhones are for suckers!
Law
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Law
After my latest crash the phone just had an icon that showed the USB cord plugging into an iTunes icon (I think the same as when I first got the phone - pre-activation). If you have a link that explains how to get past that without using iTunes, I would surely appreciate it!

At this point, I really have a love/hate relationship it. I love what it's supposed to be able to do, but I hate that it just doesn't work sometimes. I suppose that's true about just about any new technology.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I don't know whether it can be ACTIVATED without iTunes (probably not), but there are several utilities out there that handle the music much more efficiently than iTunes does. They allow you to do backups, transfers, etc. without all the iTunes "baggage".
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I swear by my Blackberry with the features you mentioned. My wife has an iPhone and it took Apple and AT&T three weeks to stop blaming one another and figure out how to turn her malfunctioning voicemail on. They can keep it. Go with a Treo or Blackberry! Either is a working stiff's lifeline.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
My blackberry is great, but I would love the itunes apps, and the GOOD internet service, where you can pull up the entire page, youtube videos would also be great. the crackberry says it plays videos, but its never worked for me...

ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
The Visual Voicemail is probably the coolest thing about the iPhone so far, except with maybe the exception of Shazam.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
The iPhone is the greatest invention in the history of the world. Especially with all the applications you can put on it now.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Why Pepka?

My concerns are it doesn't have a basic cut and paste function, in oz you need to download maps from the net everytime you use GPD and that it seems so slooooow.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I don't really have any use for cut and paste on my phone. I hear so many people complaining about it, but I don't really get the big deal. When I can email, surf, listen to music, watch videos, synch my calendar and play games, that's really all I need. I may be slightly biased since I use a Mac though.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I don't need to email, surfing, games. I need music, calender, phone.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Anything thing big happening with the Iphone in 2009? The cost came down, know that.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Quote:
On 2008-09-15 22:09, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
I don't need to email, surfing, games. I need music, calender, phone.

If that's all you need, an iPhone is not for you. I love mine, and I do have copy and paste on it (that's not a standard feature though). And I echo everything Pepka said.

I haven't had any problems with mine, apart from an occasional lock-up, but it's a computer, a reboot fixes it.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Im with josh on this one, although I suspect he had to "jailbreak" his to copy and paste