The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Where to put it all... :: High Quality Close Up Mats/Boards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Gary
View Profile
Veteran user
Market Harborough, UK
367 Posts

Profile of Gary
I would really appreciate any useful contacts for sourcing a top quality close up mat or performance board other than Arlen Studio or Dean Dill.

All recommendations are welcome!
"I can see clearly now, the brain has gone"
- Anon
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1276 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
Gibson Close-Up Pads and Magician's Choice Close-up Mats are both great!
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
Gary
View Profile
Veteran user
Market Harborough, UK
367 Posts

Profile of Gary
Thanks Mark, I will check them out.
"I can see clearly now, the brain has gone"
- Anon
johnathanblades
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of johnathanblades
I make heavy duty, performance pads, PM me for more info.
DRPEPPER
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of DRPEPPER
The best closeup pad use by the pros is company is PMS; they have best I ever seen. Their website is http://www.pmsmagic.com
markkwan
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of markkwan
I'm not sure about the others but the close up mat I ordered from Penguin works really well for me.
What good is a night, when you can't break it.
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1605 Posts

Profile of Jared
I asked the gentleman at the Magic Auction to design one and he did!!! I purchased five of them some with loading sleeves and some without. They were the highest quality for a reasonable price. You should check to see if he has any remaining.

-Jared
Alexander the Magician
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of Alexander the Magician
I second DrPepper, I know Pat, and he does a great job! http://www.pmsmagic.com
Magicmike1949
View Profile
Special user
643 Posts

Profile of Magicmike1949
Gibson's I believe is the one with a rubber back. It's needed for a trick by Doug Conn that's very effective. Also keeps the mat from slipping.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
You can buy close-up pad material from a fabric shop and make your own if you wish?

Just a thought if you have something specific in mind.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1276 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
Frank, when you say close-up mat material, what do you mean? I have heard people say that you can buy wet suit material at a fabric shop, which is perfect, neoprene with a cloth cover, but I have never been able to find any... Smile
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
wcb39
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of wcb39
It depends on your style of course but I find using a real Oriental rug adds a lot of class to your look. Also there are some very inexpensive ($30) Oriental look a likes that are great too.
LordPH
View Profile
Regular user
Suomi
189 Posts

Profile of LordPH
I Use Trevor Duffy´s Close-Up Mat and I think it is great!

"It is supplied in BLACK and is available in two sizes: 11 x 14 inch and 14 x 18 inch.

Non wrinkling.
99% non slip!
Does not attract hair, fluff, etc.
Fully washable.
Soft rubber underlay."
Lucas Ace

Ultimatemagic.Net
Helsinki Street Team
DreamBig
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of DreamBig
Quote:
On 2003-08-28 22:40, Mark Martinez wrote:
Frank, when you say close-up mat material, what do you mean? I have heard people say that you can buy wet suit material at a fabric shop, which is perfect, neoprene with a cloth cover, but I have never been able to find any... Smile

I've never been able to find any either.
B-MAN
View Profile
New user
Luxembourg
72 Posts

Profile of B-MAN
Both Mark and Macruz say that they can't find wet suit material. Try reading this post: work shop—table top, mat padding.
" No matter what you accomplish in this life.... the size of your funeral will be determinded by the weather " Gizzard

G.B.T.S.
Steve Oxford
View Profile
Regular user
Churchville,MD.
155 Posts

Profile of Steve Oxford
I bought a pad from the funhouse a couple of years back. It was black velvet over two densities of foam with a solid plywood back. It is the sweetest pad I have ever had the pleasure of using. I just found out this weekend that it was made by martini magic. It is not on their site so I do not know if it is still being made or not. Lou sold the funhouse, and the new guys only have the standard pads. After using this pad, I could never think of using anything else.
S.
oldguy
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of oldguy
Mark, You might try looking for wet-suit material at a lithographic or screen-print supply store. It's commonly used on vacuum tables in those industries. Goodyear rubber also sells it.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
If you use (or want to) a pad like Martini's or Dill's in table-hopping, you might be interested in my newest product, the "Table-Hopper's Friend" (THF). Check it out here:

[outdated link]
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page