The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Does anyone use toucans? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
cpbartak
View Profile
Special user
Mooresville, NC
941 Posts

Profile of cpbartak
There are a few breeders of toucans in the U.S. and (at least the smaller aracaris and toucanets) make great pets, as well as being just as smart as cockatoos and macaws. I was wondering if anyone has tried using toucans in their magic? Their natural lifespan is roughly 20-25 years.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Daktari
View Profile
Regular user
USA
154 Posts

Profile of Daktari
I believe Dave Womach uses at least 1 in his act. A big Toco or Keel Billed would be pretty cool.
cpbartak
View Profile
Special user
Mooresville, NC
941 Posts

Profile of cpbartak
That's cool that you know someone who uses them. I thought they'd be more popular, though, being as that their bite doesn't hurt, they don't live forever like a lot of the bigger birds, they're quiet, and extremely intelligent. One of the main U.S. breeders is Emerald Forest Bird Gardens. From what I heard, some of the bird shows at theme parks use them to retrieve items from audience members, do flips, etc.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Watch the movie "George of the Jungle". The toucan there did a lot of tricks.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I will admit they would good in an act. But I have a feeling they will be difficult to take care of (I could be wrong). At times I mention purchasing a cockatoo. Some members are all over me about not buying the bird for a trick because they are hard to take care of. You might want to send Dave Womach a PM.
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
453 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
Hey Guys,

Just ran across this. I use toucans in my show and don't recommend them... for many reasons.

1) My own selfish reason. As far as my research has shown, I'm the only one using them in magic, and I really like that. Although all good things must come to an end at some point. It's my most sincere hope that the magic community will respect that, and choose not to use them. With that being said...

2) Toucans are very messy animals. I literally have to change my cages twice a day. They are very foul smelling as 80% of their diet MUST be fresh fruits. And most die of hemachromatosis at a young age (iron storage disease). This makes them tough to travel with, and very expensive to maintain. I spend about $500/month per bird to feed it.

3) Despite what you may hear, my toucan can do some damage when she doesn't want to do the show. Occasionally she'll refuse to load up, and I end up with a bruised hand, and gashes up and down my arm. Honestly, I've had less injuries from macaws, and that's the honest to God truth.

4) They are expensive. Copperfield called me about getting a toucan, and I asked him that he wouldn't because I use them in my show. He respectfully said, "I don't plan on putting a $10,000 bird in a harness"... Good decision.

Obviously I'd like to keep them for my own show, but more importantly they do not make a good pet, they're hard to take care of, and usually die a very slow painful death from iron... they can't even have tap water... or bottled water... it has to be distilled... makes traveling even harder...

Just my thoughts...

Dave
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
Dave,

I'm not sure I understand the Copperfield reference, so he just called you because he wanted one for a pet, not to use in his show in some way? That seems a bit odd.

10k for a bird is pretty crazy. I think I'll stick to doves.

Steven
MagicMatthews
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
174 Posts

Profile of MagicMatthews
I use three cans!
Don't get even... Get odd!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Guys, I would recommend not using a toucan until Dave Womach retires. Smile
paradize
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
398 Posts

Profile of paradize
Go for hornbills ..hahahah...
Magic is the residue of pre-design fantasies.
Come into my Fantasy www.chandranmagic.com
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
453 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
Thanks Dynamike. There needs to be more people like you in this industry. :o)

As for the Copperfield reference, I'd rather not go into more detail about it, as I'm not sure how much info he wants out about it.

Dave