The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Decade by Mark Mason (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1114 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
I am a big fan of Mark Mason's. His magic is clever, strong, and always well thought out.. So I should not have been surprised by the strength of the material on Mark's new Decade DVD set. Mark knows great magic and he shares a bunch of it on this new DVD set. The effects are great and real workers but in particular I found the most value in some of the moves he teaches. Blindside and Top Secret in particular are GREAT and I am sure will become part of many people's arsenals. The interviews are superb and the information contained in these interviews is invaluable to the working performer. If you are also a fan of Mark's magic you should not pass these DVDs up. If you are not familiar with Mark's magic this DVD set will give you a great insight into his magic and thinking. Highly recommended.

Tim
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Tim, Marks first video set ( now on DVD ) "Reel World Magic" contains some of the best close-up magic ever released on video. It's been 10 years since that release, so I'm sure his new set is as good, if not better!

Mark has this to say about his new set:

"it is called 'Decade" because its 10 years since I filmed "Real World". It is a double DVD set, covering cards, coins, my floating ring, my sponge ball routine. 16 routines and effects in total.

All new material, also includes all the work on glance, blindside, top secret and dribble.

I took the 1st 50 to the IBM/SAM last week and sold them all in 2 days, already had great feed back".

Here's what's on DECADE:

Volume One features

Foot & Mouth - Marks opening effect in the real world.

Dribble - You will be dribbling when you see Dribble.

Floating Finger Ring - Looks like real magic, any borrowed ring floats from the palm of your hand.

Glance - Marks favorite think of a card.

Flying Low - A cheeky ambitious card routine.

Put & Take Transpo - Any 2 signed cards change places, no duplicates, no stooges.

Pop out Transposition - Simple, direct routine that ends with Marks pop out move.

Interview One

Volume Two features

Silk & Sleeve - A commercial sponge ball routine for tables.

Spellbound - Marks handling of this classic of magic.

2 Coin Transfer - A utility coin move that is so clean, it will have you blinking.

Costs Nothing - 2 coins appear and vanish in any silk or napkin.

Blindside - Never tipped before, a 5 star card steal.

Top Secret - Marks for over 15 years, now its yours. A stand up card control.

Stealy Good - The most asked about move Mark Performs, taught to you in every detail.

Undercover - You will swear the card is in the centre of the deck, but don’t bet on it.

False 5 - A five packet flashy, full deck false cut.

Interview Two
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I have DECADE and will do a proper review.

I'll tell you that I am a HUGE Mark Mason fan. He knows how to routine and perform an effect. His one on one skills with a spectator is a model for magicians to study that want to do strolling or table hopping magic.

I loved his first video set and for years wrote him asking him to out out a new DVD ( he did not put out this set to satisfy me. lol ).

GarySumpter
View Profile
Special user
UK
857 Posts

Profile of GarySumpter
Really looking forward to your review Smile
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
I just ordered it.

I LOVE Mark Mason 1st DVD's.

Will keep you posted.

If you ever get a chance to have Mark Mason Lecture.

DO IT!

He is great and so FUNNY too.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3790 Posts

Profile of takeachance
How different is the ring float to other versions. I ask because Mark is so creative I thought he may have come up with something different here!
MagicSteve84
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of MagicSteve84
You need a standard ITR but Mason has come up with a great way to get in and out of the effect. The spectator puts the ring on your finger. You place it on your palm. It stands up and then rises a few inches and floats back down. All you need to do is turn the ring over and the IT is gone and you are clean. It is a very clever method and the hook up fooled me. I thought he was using loops. Now back to the TV to watch the second DVD from this set. REAL WORLD STUFF!

I agree with Neznarf. I saw this man lecture a few months back. I bought CFWM and we both when out for a few pints after his lecture. Great guy with a very positive attitude.
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3790 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Many thanks MagicSteve84. I'll definatly be getting these as this guys mind is just soooo creative
cheerz
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I love the way Mark did his ring float. I don't agree with effects that have the ring float around, up and down, to the floor, up again, etc. It's overkill and not believable.

Mark's routine has the borrowed ring do a brief, subtle float above your open palm. It's a beautiful illusion.

MJP
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of MJP
His "Foot and Mouth" routine and "Put and Take" move, from Decade, are worth the proverbial price of the DVD set. Mark Mason is one of my very favorites. Just met him at the Atlanta SEAM and he is every bit as funny and clever as he is on the DVDs. His magic really is "Real World" (title of his first series). His stuff is very entertaining, magical, and within the reach of most magicians.

Jeff
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I have to do a review on this because it's a great DVD set. Mark does a wicked good spellbound routine with some beautiful moves. There's cards, coins, a good mixed bag of close-up material.

perryvath
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of perryvath
I am buying this DVD set sight un-seen.

I have been a part of many lectures and conventions, and Mark Mason is my favorite lecturer - bar none.
He is a perfect study in making the magic all about whoever he is with.

From the time he stepped out of his rent-a-car here in Pensacola, FL a couple of years ago until he left, he dealt with every participant and volunteer with equal attention, care and grace.

From the grizzled pasteboard flinger, to the 9-year old new magician, each question and concern was answered on an individual level that they could understand - I am amazed at his energy level.

Whether I use the effects on this DVD set or not, I WILL learn from Mark Mason.

But then that's just biased opinion.

PV
8-)
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1151 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
I love watching Mark at his dealer's booth.
He is a fantastic demonstrator and performer.

No one else could have made me buy those coins. : )
Author of PERFORM, the 2020 Magic Cafe Book of the Year

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com