The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: What happened, was this... :: My Self-Levitation Experience (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
shinobi
View Profile
Loyal user
Durban, South Africa
272 Posts

Profile of shinobi
I worked in a factory for awhile with a lot of Hindu Indians. One day I decided to show a girl the Balducci Levitation. (I stood between two work benches to sort the angles issue.) Well, I couldn't believe the reaction! She was awed, dumbstruck, scared and amazed! She told a few people, and pretty soon I did a repeat performance for about 8-10 people.

Well, I was quite nervous, so as I bumped down, I didn't have to act the "drained feeling and racing pulse" thanks to all the adrenaline. I even let one guy feel my heart jackhammering in my chest. It seems it was much more acceptable to them as real magic due to their cultural background. Several asked me if I practised yoga and meditation!

Word spread throughout the 200 employees like wild fire! I never repeated the levitation, saying it drained me too much.
I still go back to visit my sister's husband who is a manager there, and as soon as I walk in, there is a buzz that starts and people look at me with a weird kind of smile. And this is two years later! People swear they saw me lift myself 6 inches into the air and they saw clear under my feet!
probably my most satisfying performance!
Kathryn Novak
View Profile
Special user
PA
574 Posts

Profile of Kathryn Novak
Well done, Shinobi. Perhaps you could perform a few other small feats, as well. Smile
If anyone sees my sanity, please return it to

me.
magicsoup
View Profile
Elite user
461 Posts

Profile of magicsoup
I had a similar thing happen yesterday. At the restaurant I perform at, it was pretty slow. The private room had a group of about 15 people, all seated at a long table on one side of the room. There was no one else in the room. Before I left, I stood at the doorway and did the Balducci. They freaked! I have never had that strong of a response before in my life! People were jumping out of their seats to look. It was the first time I ever did this for anyone publicly. The conditions were just right and I'm glad I tried it!
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
The Balducci is strong magic. I did it at work for a young black woman who is currently a temporary worker filling in at the office. I thought she was going to freak out. Naturally I would never do it in the lobby area, I work at a mental health clinic as a psychologist.

That would be a hell of a way to drum up business.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Shawn D
View Profile
Elite user
Hughson,Ca
465 Posts

Profile of Shawn D
I work in a factory also and I did the Balducci to a Hindu one day also. I was standing between to machines so he was the only one able to see me. The guy flipped! He kept asking me how many times a day I have to meditate to do this and do I have to fast. I never had this kind of reation so I just went with it. About a month later he tells me to come here. He took me to this guy and said show him how you levitate.
To me there is no better magic when you get a reaction like that.
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
Yeah, but be careful. You're going into religious territory with that. To us, it's just a trick; to others, it may be proof of the supernatural. That's toying with other's faith and beliefs. That's dangerous territory to let things reach to.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Myndbender
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Myndbender
If I can hit someone so hard with an effect that they believe that it's proof of the supernatural, then I consider it a job well done!
If you perform magic,dont do it half baked.
It MUST be Well Done!
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2003-06-11 12:50, Myndbender wrote:
If I can hit someone so hard with an effect that they believe that it's proof of the supernatural, then I consider it a job well done!

Hmmm...well there have been many threads on this subject elsewhere on this forum so I'll hold my tongue and just say that I understand your feeling, but I don't agree. Smile
landmark
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
At a magic convention I was walking down the hallway of the hotel when I spotted a guy demonstrating the Balducci for several folks. Problem was, he "Balducci'ed" right into a hanging flower pot just above his head, sending pot, flowers, and dirt crashing to the floor and scattering the onlookers. This guy was obviously a consummate professional though, because he said "Thank goodness that pot was there, or I might have hit my head on the ceiling!"

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
jmm1303
View Profile
New user
Tennessee
49 Posts

Profile of jmm1303
That must have been embarrassing
indridcold
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of indridcold
You know what, I think that would have made it all the more effective. Rising high enough to hit something. Would have increased the psychology alot I would have thought.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Deadly curious I am. Shinobi did this for about eight to ten people, and magic soup did it for about fifteen. I would like to know how you guys got around the angle problems when performing for large groups. I've never tried the Balducci for any higher than two or three, because that's what I was told by Paul Harris and Mike Maxwell on the video where I learned it. They emphasized that any larger than two or three and you will surely get caught and exposed. Please tell me Magic Soup and Shinobi how you pulled this off without being being busted. Either your'e doing something right , or I'm doing something awfully wrong. Enlightenment please! Smile
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.