The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Paper money madness! :: Boarding Plane With Extreme Burn (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Hi folks,

I'm boarding a plane this weekend, and for the first time, I will be taking along my Extreme Burn effect. I will have it on me in my pants pocket. What I need to know is, will I have any problems with security? Has anyone boarded a plane recently with the gimmick? The reason for the questions are, I don't want to have to explain anything to security if the metal detector goes off, especially how it works. (lol)

I won't have much time to build the gimmick when I land, so it needs to be ready when I board the plane. However, if I'll have problems at the airport, I might reconsider taking it at all.

Any info would be appreciated, thanks!
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
daviaac
View Profile
Veteran user
351 Posts

Profile of daviaac
What about putting it in your stored luggage? It shouldn't be a problem there.
- the secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
I currently use Heiny 500, but have Extreme Burn on order. Interesting question. I know the Heiny wouldn't present a problem. Of course, the fire wallet I normally keep it in would have to stay home!
Sammy J. Teague
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Quote:
On 2008-08-06 17:52, daviaac wrote:
What about putting it in your stored luggage? It shouldn't be a problem there.

I thought about this, but I perform the 5's to 100's, and that's like over $500.00 cash taking the same chance as getting lost as my stored luggage. (lol) Your suggestion, however, will be seriously considered if no other alternatives are available.

Has anyone actually boarded a plane with it?
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
It will go through just fine. Or, at least it did for me. Keep it in your wallet, and put it inside the box where the security checks it through the screen. Just don't take it with you where you have to walk through. Hope that makes sense.
dreamadream99
View Profile
Regular user
Central Alberta, Canada
137 Posts

Profile of dreamadream99
The other option, of course, is to temporarily disassemble the part of the gimmick in question, remove the potentially offending piece, and then reconstruct after passing through security.
solareflipz
View Profile
Veteran user
Orlando, Fl
308 Posts

Profile of solareflipz
I didn't have a problem going through security with the Extreme Burn gimmick just because I put my wallet in the little bowl that security provides while you walk through the metal detector.
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Putting my money in my wallet and then putting it into the box is an idea I didn't even think about. (Dooh) Smile Who would of thought of putting money in their wallet? Not me, obviously. (lol) That sounds like a plan. Thanks to everyone for helping me out. You guys are great!
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Very interesting. I just flew from Philly to Vegas and back last week on business. I completely forgot about the Extreme Burn in my wallet. It was in my wallet, and I walked through the detector with it in both cities. It never triggered anything...
Click to visit:
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Update: I had no problems going through the airport security. I placed my wallet with EB in it into the item box, and everything went smooth. On my way back, I kept my wallet in my pocket with the EB and went through without a hitch. If anybody else ever needs to know, now we know. (lol) Thanks again, guys, for the suggestions and advice.
DonHarlan
View Profile
Loyal user
Richmond, VA
296 Posts

Profile of DonHarlan
Wow, I'm glad someone found this out. I would hate to have to leave this one at home. I wonder, though, why the "something" wouldn't set off an alarm walking through. Just curious.
“Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.”-Tom Robbins
<BR>
<BR>“One man's "magic" is another man's engineering".-Robert A. Heinlein
CasualSoul
View Profile
Special user
Edmonton, Canada
541 Posts

Profile of CasualSoul
Probably not enough metal to set the detector off.
"Open their mind by performing the impossible"
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I would keep it in my wallet. I will also put a key in the wallet, too. If the detector goes and the guy tells me to empty my wallet, I will take out the money and show him it was the key that triggered the detector.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Quote:
On 2008-08-20 00:02, Dan Watkins wrote:
Very interesting. I just flew from Philly to Vegas and back last week on business. I completely forgot about the Extreme Burn in my wallet. It was in my wallet, and I walked through the detector with it in both cities. It never triggered anything...

Ditto.

Not about the Philly to Vegas part, but I just realized now that I flew with this on me. Just like David Copperfield!
rochaz
View Profile
Veteran user
I'm TORN.........
378 Posts

Profile of rochaz
As Dynamike suggested....
I also carry a spare house key in my wallet and recently went thru the detector without a hitch. I guess it gives me piece of mind that I have an "out" in case the wallet sets off the alarm.

:)

Rochaz
- We do not want them to suspend disbelief in the way they would in theater and story. We want them to think critically and observe carefully. Our job is to force them to believe in magic even against their better judgment.”
Whit Hayden

:Juan R Rocha:
zmakingmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Burbank, California
119 Posts

Profile of zmakingmagic
Sound like you'll be okay Dan.
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
I lost a fire wallet this way.. I walcke dthrough put in in the box and was told no way!
jmoran76
View Profile
New user
West Palm Beach, FL
69 Posts

Profile of jmoran76
I walked though a metal detector at the courthouse with Extreme Burn in my pocket and it set off the alarm. I had to spend a few minutes explaining that it's a magic trick, and I ultimately had to show the trick to the supervisor to bring it through with me. I thought I was going to lose it!
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1353 Posts

Profile of mike storz
Hi all!

I travel all the time and have never had a problem.

Mike Smile
haroldross
View Profile
New user
Walthill, Nebraska
30 Posts

Profile of haroldross
I have always left it wallet. Some airports seem to have better metal detectors. In Omaha, NE my belt bucket makes it through, yet in Las Vegas, NV, it triggers the alarm.