The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Deckless! :: Nick Trost Fly Circus (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Kristian Skovbo
View Profile
Regular user
Denmark
160 Posts

Profile of Kristian Skovbo
Hi All,

Can anyone describe the Nick Trost Fly Circus routine for me? Where is it available?
Is it available in large cards?
Thanks,
Kristian Skovbo
Denmark
Leo Reynolds Jr
View Profile
Special user
864 Posts

Profile of Leo Reynolds Jr
STEP RIGHT UP! See The Trained Flies! A NEW and NOVEL effect packed with action and a funny, funny double climax. Three trained flies preform their antics and vanish one at a time from a packet of blank cards and appear with the "leader fly". The last fly, your pet, fails to go fast enough and ends up in a SMASHED CONDITION. What it leaves behind is also a surprise!! This is what the instruction read. Never seen it in large cards.

Couldn't find anywhere, but Aldo Colombini had one somewhat similar out.
Try here

http://www.mymagic.com/colombini.htm
daffelglass
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of daffelglass
Sounds funny, but not great.
ursusminor
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
443 Posts

Profile of ursusminor
You could try contacting Harries in Sweden. I bought it from them ca. 5 years ago, together with a bunch of other Nick Trost stuff. It's probably a long shot, but you never know.

edit:

The Colombini routine is a "progressive collection" routine with a twist-ending, and I like it very much.

Bjørn
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them
pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened."
- Winston Churchill"
swamy
View Profile
Regular user
INDIA
159 Posts

Profile of swamy
There is a move where four cards turns blank one at a time. This can be used for a double effect.
J.Warrens
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1098 Posts

Profile of J.Warrens
The Colombini routine is excellent - always gets a great reaction.

I use a little fly-swatter to "swat" the flies, but they always are faster than me and end up congregating somewhere else.

But in the end, I FINALLY get them - whew!

(Just sorta' the feel of my presentation).

Cheers.
J.Warrens
gsrrr
View Profile
New user
Canada
2 Posts

Profile of gsrrr
Hello all. Sorry for bumping an old thread...

I recently found my old set of Nick Trost Fly Circus cards. But unfortunately cannot find the instructions. It's probably been ~30 years since I last did the trick. I vaguely remember the shuffle move for this trick. But don't remember the card setup or patter. I would love to perform this for my 7 yr old son who is now interested in magic.

If someone has the instructions, could they share it with me?

Or if someone can share a link to the trick online somewhere, that would work too. I tried YT with no luck.

Thanks!!!
Dr Dee
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Dr Dee
Strange bit of synchronicity: have been immersed in old catalogues this weekend. The Paul Stone Ace Place catalogue has another card routine with a fly. I will copy the description here, in the hope that it inspires:

‘BENJAMIN: THE FUNNIEST CARD TRICK FOR YEARS!!! A card is freely selected from the pack, returned and pack shuffled. The magician states he has trained a fly called Benjamin who finds selected cards. Business follows and the insect is introduced. Several cards are shown but nothing happens. Then the intelligent insect appears on the back of a card. It must be the selected one. The card is shown, but there’s been a mistake, so you bring the pack down and kill poor old Benjamin. [nb. Seems a bit harsh, if not psychopathic!?! DD] Blood, sweat and not a few tears are all that is left on the back of a card which when turned over has changed to the very card which was freely selected.
‘IT IS IMPOSSIBLE to put the full effect into words. Each time the result differs for there is no force of a card. The manuscript is written in the classic Ken Brooke style and gives you the full presentation details.’

I don’t know if this is Ken Brooke —or simply in the style, as stated — but most interesting that it’s not a force.

Sorry, gsrr, I know this doesn’t answer your Nick Trost request, but thought it might inspire you should your son want more fly-based illusionment.

I’m a great fan of insect magic. Think I should probably make it my next post!
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1717 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
There's also "Buzzkill" by John Bannon, which is available from Big Blind Media. John first released this in 1994 and was inspired by Aldo Colomini's trick.

I like the artwork on the cards, and the effect sounds similar to the Nick Trost trick.

Marty
gsrrr
View Profile
New user
Canada
2 Posts

Profile of gsrrr
Thanks Marty -- Buzzkill does look similar to Fly Circus (from my vague recollections Smile.
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of dj
Or "Bumblebees" by Woody Aragon:
https://youtu.be/wFxBSDFIoC0