The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Lights...camera...action! :: Americ's got Talent (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
Did anyone see America's Got Talent? There was a magician auditioning as the "Rock and Roll Magician." I think it was cruel that the judges didn't let him even get started before they buzzed him out. The crowd was really rude as they were booing him right from the start. I feel bad for this guy. Ok, he's not David Copperfield, but at least give the guy a chance!
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
styck13
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of styck13
That's just another one of the AGT things. The thing that I notice about the show is they have a "magician" in the opening credits yet don't seem to get magicians an even shake when it comes to competing. Yes there are exceptions to the rule. I personally was tickled to see The Pendragons.
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2205 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
Did anyone see the Criss Angel knock off tonight? He butchered the illusion he was performing. Very big mistakes, then LIED to the judges and to the home audience as he stated the illusion went perfectly. He also said he threw in some 'curveballs' to keep them guessing. LOL What?
I think the only one he was fooling was himself!

Chad
jynx
View Profile
Loyal user
Pueblo, Colorado
242 Posts

Profile of jynx
Quote:
On 2008-08-05 21:48, Chad Sanborn wrote:
Did anyone see the Criss Angel knock off tonight? He butchered the illusion he was performing. Very big mistakes, then LIED to the judges and to the home audience as he stated the illusion went perfectly. He also said he threw in some 'curveballs' to keep them guessing. LOL What?
I think the only one he was fooling was himself!

Chad

Was it just me or did the girl that he put in the box look just like the girl that Criss Angel made levitate on Fremont street in season 1 and was the same girl that he used for his metamorphosis also on Fremont street? I think it was her.....
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3383 Posts

Profile of tophatter
Your talking about Dave Martin he is a local magician here from connecticut. Yes the trick messed up . He should have just admitted he messed up it only made it worse.
Mary Jane
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Mary Jane
It seems Britain's Got Talent is also pretty mean to magicians we had three acts that didn't go much further that then first televised round. It seems you have a better hope going through if you are a singer.
styck13
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of styck13
My guess is it's easier for them to "manage" the winning singers career than it would be to "manage" the winning magician's career. Still tho, they don't have to be mean.
AaronTheMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of AaronTheMagician
As bad as I felt watching that clip and seeing Shadow Vision exposed...

...that's not a bad course of action.
He seemed to push it too far, really, but honestly:
If you mess up, either admit it, or do what he did.
It could've been worse... both sides could've been open at the same time...

My personal course of action, (theory which I learned from Bizzaro), is: if you mess something up, admit it and laugh at yourself. So it didn't work... big deal. Kick yourself later for it. The audience is what's important NOW. Make them happy. Self gratification can come later.
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3279 Posts

Profile of magicmind
I posted a link to the "bad magic" above in the posting thread, incase you want to see the rock n roll magic
John Iacono
View Profile
New user
N. California
53 Posts

Profile of John Iacono
I was not surprised to see Shimshee (I think that's his name)get booted my the TV viewers. I must agree with the judges re. his poor choice of card trick on a large stage. I liked the trick, but it was a bad choice.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3706 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I met the "rock and roll magician" last year at Magic on the Beach. He's a pretty talented guy, and does a good routine. He failed to "Wow" them in the first 5 seconds, and that was it. It was really kind of cruel - they probably knew they were going to buzz him before he ever came out.

jim
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
743 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
What ever happened to the Pendragons on AMT ?
They must have been edited out. I hear that Charlotte really told them off good.

Good for her. That show really is a joke. I was on the show in Dallas and they didn't even air it...

Taylor Reed
www.taylorreed.com
www.usedmagicillusions.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
See: The Magic and Comedy of Taylor Reed, Live in Branson, Mo
John Iacono
View Profile
New user
N. California
53 Posts

Profile of John Iacono
I read that they were offered a show and left AGT. I think I read it in the Genii forums but I am not 100% positive on that.

Posted: Sep 3, 2008 10:41am
It looks like another magician may have screwed up on AGT. After seeing Bruce Block last night I have a feeling he will not be back.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3045 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Just out of curiosity, does anyone really believe that AGT is a real talent show? I know a guy who was on it last night, and, knowing him, I flat-out refuse to believe that a good chunk of his act, including the back-and-forth with the judges (complete with a close-up on his face), wasn't staged. I'll have to ask him next time I see him, but I can already guess at the answer.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Peter Pitchford
View Profile
Elite user
Philly
423 Posts

Profile of Peter Pitchford
Read the last issue of Magic Magazine (I think the one with Danny Garcia on the cover). The article interviews some of the magicians who were on AGT and basically AGT created a montage that was very misleading (i.e. showing a guy get booed by the audience when he was never booed - they edited that in from another act, etc.). They aren't necessarily about showcasing talent. They are all about sensationalism - quite national inquirer-ish.
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
864 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
George,

You are, of course, quite correct.

All these shows are staged. Big Brother. The Apprentice. AGT. The outcome is decided well before the result. Viewers votes? Don't make me LAUGH!
This statement isn't up for discussion, incidentally. Just pointing out the facts.
Anyone who thinks otherwise has a lot to learn about the TV (ratings) business.

Regards,

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
John Iacono
View Profile
New user
N. California
53 Posts

Profile of John Iacono
Do you have proof
John Iacono
View Profile
New user
N. California
53 Posts

Profile of John Iacono
I guess he has no proof, I did think so. Juat a lot of hot air
Loyal R
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
417 Posts

Profile of Loyal R
Do anyone has a link of this episode? I didin't saw it.
Dare to Dream...
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
443 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
Americas Got Talent contacted me and requested I call them...
"Please call me ASAP - Dorian"
I simply replied the Great Zoobini was too busy shooting movies to bother with them and to post on BC's bulletin board...
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile