The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: A turn of the page :: WILLARD - A LIFE UNDER CANVAS (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Gerald
View Profile
Veteran user
Arkansas
332 Posts

Profile of Gerald
The legendary Willard the Wizard lives on in David Charvet’s brilliant book, WILLARD - A LIFE UNDER CANVAS. From James Willard’s early beginnings with show business in the late 1800s to the passing of Harry Willard in 1970, Charvet chronicles the saga of the Willard family’s trails and tribulations of trouping with a large tent show.

Charvet says in his introduction, “Every person with whom I spoke about Harry Willard, all without hesitation, said he was the greatest magician they ever saw. Every one. And many of those who told me this were very knowledgeable magicians who had seen many of the greats. . . This is much more than the story of a magic show. It is the story of a remarkable family and the drama that played out both on stage and behind the scenes for nearly 100 years in a field of show business that will not come our way again.”

Those of us of the “older generation” of magicians who were lucky enough to witness Willard the Wizard performances welcome this terrific book. It jogs our memories, helps us recall magic’s ultimate showman and remember Willard as a source of inspiration.

Author David Charvet and publisher Mike Caveney offer this remarkable, candid, revealing nostalgic journey into the past, not only to older magicians, but also as a source of inspiration for the younger set and for generations of magicians to come. I enthusiastically give this book my highest recommendation because of its content, its true depiction, the skill and care in which it was written.

Regards,
Gerald
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5488 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
I have yet to begin reading, but it arrived a couple of days ago and the book itself is beautifully produced (I have come to expect nothing less from Mr. Caveney). Can't wait to dig in, but I need to work my way through Revelation first. Smile
magicmax1
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of magicmax1
I bought this book at the IBM/SAM convention and started reading it and I know you will enjoy it as much as I did.

-Max
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24317 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
This is an incredible book. I have no idea how David Charvet came up with some of the things he found. He is quite a researcher.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
Thanks, Bill for the kind words. Now you know why it took nearly 4 years to research and write!
- David
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24317 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Absolutely!

I might add that I bought the last available copy at the TAOM convention. I had to twist David's arm to get him to go up to his room to bring the last copy he had down.

I'm glad I did. It's a fascinating book.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
I just finished this book. Fantastic! I really fell in love with the family...I'm going read the Bev Bergeron book next.

Thank you Mr. Charvet...so wonderful this book! It was transporting!
pixsmith
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of pixsmith
I want to chime in on this book as well.

It's a shame that some of the very best books written in magic might go unnoticed because they don't contain tricks. This is often the case in magical biographies, but I think I can safely say that dismissing a book out of hand because it has "nothing in it" is really limiting one's vision, perspective and opportunities.

This book, 'A Life Under Canvas,' is one of the most compelling stories that I have read in the last few years. It has drama, pathos, humor, and an overall driving rhythm that resonates on an emotional level. This is the story of a man, told by the very people who knew him best. It is a human odyssey, and to miss the chance to take this journey is a shame.

Buy it, and if you can't, nag your library until they get a copy. If you can afford an extra, buy one and donate it to a local library. It is the kind of story that deserves telling, and is seldom told so well.
Jonathan Smith
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Smith
Many of Caveny's published magician history books are also very fine, I also enjoyed Carter and Alexander.