The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Looking out for our own :: My Heart Hurts (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Last Friday I made the heart wrenching decision to say goodbye to my beautiful 19 year old BlueHeeler/Lab. Ole Blue was a wonderful dog who had left with me with a so many memories and a host of people and fourlegged friends that will miss him.

No matter what creature I brought into the home, it could have been a tiny baby bunny, a broken legged cat, or a ill feral cat - Blue would be there to greet them with licks and nudges. Although very passive he would immediately take charge over the other canines if he saw any of the smaller creatures were being harrassed.At night, he would be sleeping surrounded by cats who felt safe with him.

THE LAST BATTLE If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close -- we two -- these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.
-- Unknown

My heart hurts and I am wracked with quilt that I chose the day to say goodbye. I hope I did the right thing.

Chrystal
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Chrystal,

Remember the 19 years of "unconditional love" that Ol Blue gave to those around him. You did the right thing!

Dennis
Dennis Michael
C.W.G.
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of C.W.G.
Hi Chrystal,

You poor thing, I know what your going through having had to do something similar myself a couple of years back. Of course you know that it's not "just a dog" that your losing, it's one of your very closest friends.

All I can say to you is, don't be afraid to accept the pain your going through. Cry as much as you need to and time will eventually make things better. The pain doesn't ever stop completely, but how you know your better is when you will feel happy about the good times and sad about the bad (which with a doggy there cant have been many!).

And remember that you didn't "choose" to say goodbye, that was the way it had to be? Surely IF you had a choice you would have let your pet live forever would you not? So no, you didn't have a choice.

But what you did do was to be brave enough to break your own heart, to stop the suffering of a loved one, and that, is the greatest show of love you can give.

He's up in doggy heaven now, running around like a new born pup, and your here nursing a broken heart. That was a hard but loyal thing to do. You did what you did out of love, and that is a beautiful thing.

I remember a few years back when I lost a close friend of mine in an accident and someone said the following words to me just when I thought I couldn't stand the pain much longer:

"It hurts like hell doesn't it? But I bet you that you wouldn't swap that pain, for never having known that person"

And they were right. But remember that your pet loved you too, and they last thing that they wont want is for you to be sad? I bet you every time that Ole' Blue saw you crying, that he went right up to you to see what was wrong so he could see if he could fix it. That was proof he wanted you to always be happy, so try and do that for him when your ready ok?

God bless you and I'll say a prayer that you feel better soon.

Finbarr
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
I'm sorry to hear about your loss. My dog is going on 13 and I can't imagine her not being by my side.

The good thing is, they're great! The bad thing is, they die.

Bodies come and go...memories last forever.

May God bless.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Chrystal,

We know that was a tough thing to go through. We also know that doing nothing is a decision too. You know that Lucy and I live on the ARK. We believe that you did the right thing for the right reasons.

Sometimes I know there must be claw marks on everything we turn loose. Failure to care and failure to do the right thing are not equals. Caring requires doing the right thing. We care about you too. Thank you for doing the right thing.

Bob and Lucy Sanders
Magic Valley Ranch
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
LukeB
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of LukeB
Hi Chrystal
*hugs*
Bill
View Profile
Veteran user
and Pretty Nice Guy
373 Posts

Profile of Bill
Only someone who has lost a pet can know that the anguish and sorrow can be just as strong as if it were a child. Although it's a cliché, time will make it better. After the right amount has passed, think of rescuing a puppy. There is nothing quite like the antics of a puppy to salve the wound of loss.
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
I'm very sorry to hear of your loss, I know how much you love your dogs. My parents just found out their Golden Retriever (7 years old) has terminal cancer and will only live another 3-6 months. So I know how you feel.

Be comforted by the memories that you hold dear.
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.