The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Royal Tonte DVD by Bob Sheets (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Murphy's has a clip of Bob performing this. It looks like a great routine for almost any venue. Does anyone have this DVD for review?

Bob's TONTE

___________________________________________________________________________________
The classic Game of "3-Card Monte" with a new Twist!

Three cards are shown: two indifferent cards, and a court card. The spectator is asked to "find the picture card," but that's not possible, for now the performer holds three indifferent cards-the court card is found inside the magician's pocket!

The game is repeated with the four-card set. Again, the spectator is unable to find the court card. The packet now consists of four indifferent cards; the court card is again inside the magician's pocket!

The performer suggests that a five card game is too difficult, so one card is set aside. The remaining cards are mixed. The spectator is asked to locate the court card, and of course, suspects that the card put aside is the court card. In fact, that card turns out to be an indifferent card. The performer finally comments, "Perhaps Monte is not your game…" He turns the cards over to display a Royal Straight Flush in spades! "You should try Poker, instead!"

Includes the JUMBO cards, complete illustrated instructions, and DVD.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
dave burgess
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of dave burgess
I would respectfully suggest they reshoot the demo because he exposes a g***** card with too wide of a spread at about 2:19. I wasn't looking to pick it apart but it just jumped out at me when I watched Christopher's link. Other than that the effect looks like it will appeal to many due to the visability of the jumbos. Perfect for parlor/living room type show.
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
I watched the routine and failed to see the "hysterical patter"...

It appears that Ton Onosaka is a legend in "music" too...

I have the small version of this and think it is a good trick but it isn't really something I use.
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
A great bar trick - especially when you don't want to do Stan,Kate & Edith every night. I much prefer the royal flush ending than the four queen ending (which was only available in the poker size cards). I thought the patter was pretty funny. I'm getting this just to upgrade to the flush ending.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I have this ordered and will do a review. But you can see from the Demo how good the routine is.

Wayne Kawamoto
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of Wayne Kawamoto
www.Magic.About.com - Magic News and Reviews
Author: "Picture Yourself As a Magician"
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Wayne, I was getting ready to do a review and yours is better than I could have done.

I MC'd an Open Mike night and performed this and it went over really well. I try to never use lines that others use on these marketed effects, but Sheet's shouting out "I cheat and I SNEAK THEM IN AND OUT AT WILL" I thought was really funny and I was right because it got such great laughs.

This is wonderful for shows, stand up/MC work, behind the bar, etc. Bob did a great job teaching it as well.

It's clean for a variety of audiences, it packs flat and plays big.

Wayne Kawamoto
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of Wayne Kawamoto
Christopher:

I agree that it's a great routine and it sounds like it's working well for you.

If I had encountered this one before "Sidewalk Shuffle," I would definitely be performing "Royal Tonte" instead. I've been performing "Sidewalk" for years and I'm too stubborn to change.

I thought that the "reverse Elmsley" was an interesting adaptation. By the way, did you know that Mr. Elmsley has four kids but he never saw his third one? Smile

Best regards.

-Wayne
www.Magic.About.com - Magic News and Reviews
Author: "Picture Yourself As a Magician"
Titanas
View Profile
V.I.P.
1995 Posts

Profile of Titanas
Quote:
On 2008-10-09 11:23, Wayne Kawamoto wrote:
By the way, did you know that Mr. Elmsley has four kids but he never saw his third one? Smile

HAHAHAHAHA!! This must be the funniest magicians-only line ever!!
LOL
Product Developer @ Murphys Magic Supplies
Cohiba
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
749 Posts

Profile of Cohiba
Cool routine.

Did anyone else notice that after adding the 2nd "10", he still only showed 4 cards? Was this a mistake, or was it supposed to fly by unnoticed?
squando
View Profile
Elite user
444 Posts

Profile of squando
It is mentioned in the explanation phase as "flying" by. If it doesn't it can be covered by the theme of a monte dealer getting stuff by a mark.
Frank
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
893 Posts

Profile of Scott Fridinger
Quote:
On 2008-10-09 17:32, Cohiba wrote:
Cool routine.

Did anyone else notice that after adding the 2nd "10", he still only showed 4 cards? Was this a mistake, or was it supposed to fly by unnoticed?

First, you can't show the 5th card, but he does mention that he specifically says he doesn't want the specs to "know" the order of the cards and says he doesn't make a big deal of it.
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Sleight of Hand, Sleight of Mind
Tonylew
View Profile
Regular user
Tracy, CA
184 Posts

Profile of Tonylew
I have the four tens version in jumbo cards and prefer it to the royal flush one. I also prefer Bob's presentation of the one that I have. I am just staring to groove in on this and haven't decided which opening moves of the two routines to use. At this point it seems that the one for the royal flush version looks less hokey.

Also I perform often for younger audiences who usually know the difference between a ten and a queen. The royal flush is over some of their heads.