The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Penny for your thoughts :: Where's Derren (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Blackwood
View Profile
Special user
Mind-Play
528 Posts

Profile of Blackwood
It was widely quoted here that Derren Brown's American version of Mind Control would start this summer – it even says "new episodes start August 20" on Sci Fi's website – but it's not listed in their schedule for August that I could find and even their search function turns up nothing.

Did I miss something - is it off?
C.W.G.
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of C.W.G.
Hi Blackwood

Dunno about the channels over there but you should just search for all his DVD sets on the net (Mind Control cant be got I think), they are all well worth it I can assure you and at least that way you will save yourself months of waiting?

Best

Finbarr
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2825 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
Boyd,

Scifi's website probably won't have Derren info until 2 weeks before the show debuts...bad website, bad!
Virungan
View Profile
Inner circle
Here and There
1156 Posts

Profile of Virungan
His DVD compilation DERREN BROWN: THE SPECIALS is released Nov. 25th and already available for pre-order from Amazon (UK).
Smile When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth...Smile
Blackwood
View Profile
Special user
Mind-Play
528 Posts

Profile of Blackwood
Luckily, I do have almost all of Derren's shows, thanks to friendly Yahoo video posters. I'm really more concerned that America doesn't seem to be catching on to DB. I think that's sad.

Best,

BB
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
The strange thing is that on the SciFi Channel's forum the posters seemed really negative after the first US show. I find that strange. They watch shows with actors pretending to have special powers and so on all the time, but when someone actually reproduces what looks like some of those powers in a real life, they don't like it. Weird or what? Smile
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Jon

With all due respect, you did not see what aired last season on SCIFI.
If I did not know who Derren was, I would have flipped the channel. That was NOT a good introduction, in my opinion. The show had a lot of problems.

Tony
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
Tony, I did see it via a proxy server making the SciFi channel's content server think I was in the US.

What struck me was that even before the show aired, people were unhappy about it and simply decided they didn't like it.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
If you saw the show, then you can understand. Additionally, the show was not properly formatted for the demographics of that network. It would have played much better on TLC, A&E, and PBS.

I did not see any "like or dislike" posts before the show aired, but I did see questions from people who did not understand what the show was about.
misterblack
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of misterblack
I saw the SciFi shows, and I don't know what you mean. They looked almost exactly the same as Brown's typical half-hour UK programmes to me.

There's certainly a question mark as to whether 'SciFi' is a good home for the show but it's got a second series, received some very good press reviews, and did draw numerous extremely positive comments on the SciFi message board.

Regarding the channel it airs on, am I right in thinking that NBC own the channel? I had wondered, what with (the abysmal) 'Phenomenon', whether someone there has a liking for mentalism and put 'Mind Control' on SciFi as a tester for a possible network show of some kind.