The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Anybody using 'PK Putty'? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Magic Grandpå
View Profile
New user
Grants Pass, Oregon
6 Posts

Profile of Magic Grandpå
Hi Folks

I did a search on the Café for the 'PK Putty' and it returned a few threads...but nobody has really posted anything useful yet. Smile

I did get some from 'Hocus Pocus'...pretty cool. I was just trying to find someone who has done some 'real-world' experimentation with it.

I was hoping to find the advantages...disadvantages...using the putty instead of a magnet with the chopless chop cup routine...etc. Smile

I went to the Wizard Magic Forum (who makes the PK rings) for some ideas or suggestions and there was "nah-da"… Smile

tia

John
(Magic Grandpå)
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
There is a discussion going on about it on the Penguin forums. They hate it. Too weak to do much good, color is hard to hide, has to be blended with softer waxes to make it workable, which also weakens it. I don't have it, but so far nobody has anything good to say about it.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
I think the pk putty could be used for shimming common items to use with pk rings.. but other than that, like Dave said, its very limited.

Ive used my own creation of this PK Putty to shim cards on the fly ect.. you can make your own by getting dental wax and crushing a small black magnet - not the neo earth magnets, but the ceramic magnets.

http://www.supermagnetman.net/index.php?cPath=26

The dental wax is very soft and pliable, and mixes well with the crushed ceramics.

Its not a clean as pk putty- but is softer and cheaper - and possibly stronger.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
Magic Grandpå
View Profile
New user
Grants Pass, Oregon
6 Posts

Profile of Magic Grandpå
I noticed that there is a new version out of PK Putty called "Magnum Putty"... probably by the same company as the packaging artwork is very similar. It's supposed to be twice as strong.

Until someone comes up with a really great use for this, I'll probably stick with the tiny neo magnets for shimming items...the putty doesn't even come close in strength.

And I believe it's easier to end the trick cleaner by ditching the tiny magnet as opposed to scraping a wad of sticky wax before examination.

Again...I'd like to hear from anybody that has been shimming their stuff and how it works out in actual performances.

John
(Magic Granpå)
Airave
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
137 Posts

Profile of Airave
Hi MG, I tried some PK Putty and was disappointed as well.
I don't do shimmed card tricks but use small neos for candy,
bones, etc (omg, beeeee careful not to let a spec, or yourself,
eat that candy or piece of shimmed bread!).

However... I am a Photographer by profession and sometimes buy
old picture frames at Flea Markets to restore. So I have a big
collection of very small triangular pieces of metal used to hold
the "backing" to picture frames.

I think these could be used to shim cards and other thin objects.
Funny, I found this by accident a few days ago when I tossed a few
into a bowl of desk clutter with some small magnets also there...
Ah Ha moment!!! ;D
Dolphin
View Profile
Regular user
Slovenia
171 Posts

Profile of Dolphin
Hi there,

same here... did buy it, however it is so weak, that you would have to use it a lot (so much that everybody would see it) to get any result.

I wanted to make gimmicked matches, cards etc. to use them with my pk ring, however it doesn`t work!

also there are no instructons enclosed, so you are left on your own to experiment.

wouldn`t reccomend it.
Jon W.
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of Jon W.
I should have checked here first. I recently purchased PK putty too and it was far too weak to be worthwhile. Luckily, it wasn't too expensive so not a big loss and maybe I can find a use.