The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The little darlings :: double dove pan advice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
THOR
View Profile
New user
No. California
69 Posts

Profile of THOR
I just got a double dove pan and one of those foam birthday cakes. But I'm totally new at the whole dove-pan thing. What would you use as the additional load and what kind of routine would you do with these items? Thanks so much for your help.

thor
SethL52
View Profile
New user
Arab, Alabama
56 Posts

Profile of SethL52
Candy or giveaways, something the kids can actually eat instead of the foam cake.
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I don't give out sweets or anything like that at parties for 4 reasons:

1) They get a big enough sugar injection at a party anyway;
2) I consider it a cheap cop out;
3) You may have a kid who's not allowed sweets who's going to feel left out; and
4) If you hand out sweets during the show, your next helper's sticky fingers are going to be all over your props/silk.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
Spring snakes! I use two really long snakes that are tapered and have snake tongues extended.
Phillip
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I agree with Emazdad. Forget the sweets!
I have used a rubber chicken, spring snakes, a picture of a birthday cake, rocky raccoon, and a ferrett. You can used about anything you want as long as it's not too heavy or big.

I don't use a sponge birthday cake either. I buy a real one that fits.

I have noticed the "dove pans" for sale nowadays are smaller. I have a larger one and it allows me more versatility.
Daniel Faith
Mark Butcher
View Profile
Regular user
Rochester, NY
116 Posts

Profile of Mark Butcher
I use the dove pan as my closer and it follows "silk to egg". I pour a little egg in the pan, have the kids throw in some imaginary ingredients and produce the foam cake. Explaining to them that they can't really eat this cake I then produce some candy. I always have some sugar-free candy with me and I also check with the parent to see if candy is acceptable when I book the show.

I have also produce party favors that tie into to theme of the party or balloons which I then make balloon animals for them.
Shawn D
View Profile
Elite user
Hughson,Ca
465 Posts

Profile of Shawn D
In my show I produce out of my dove pan is...a dove. It is after I put in stuff to make a cake.

When the cake didn't work out and a dove appeared instead, I tell them I have some suckers for them. Take a bag and do the sucker trick having them disappear. The birthday child uses a bigger sucker I give him to have them reappear in the pan where the dove just was.

Works out great and I always wait till after the show to hand out the suckers.
Shawn
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
I have some suckers for them. (Your word for lollypops ?)

Phillip
Shawn D
View Profile
Elite user
Hughson,Ca
465 Posts

Profile of Shawn D
Suckers, Lollypops, call them what you like. They still taste the same.
spatrick
View Profile
Special user
Tom Sawyer let me whitewash these
517 Posts

Profile of spatrick
Double load dove pans are great for dual climaxes. Do your favorite dove pan routine, produce your first load. Place the lid in your case and over the second load. Then while the audience is still marveling over the first production bang out the second.

I do a halloween trick with my DL pan. I tell the story of trick or treaters that come to my house and I magically produce candy right from the pan. (load 1)

I then go on in the story and say that when all the little monsters have gone I settle in for a scary movie and all the popcorn I can eat!! (load 2)

There is no limit to your imagination.

S. Patrick
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
My kids show character is Prof. Trickenus P. Bumbledumb, from Hogwarts...and just like the name sounds, I bumble thru effects. Nothing ever works out quite right. For my final effect, I tell the kids I am going to make a bunny. I got the recipe from Snape. It says hair from a rabbit..hmmm, all I have is troll hair..oh well, whew, it smells...

Well, I keep adding smelly things for the right things and when I light the fire and cover the flame. I pull it off to show my bunny. A beanie baby type SHUNK with bunny ears. I try to convince the kids it's a bunny.

Just my 2 cents worth,
WR Smile
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."