The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Pardon me, sir... :: Small objects in inside jacket pocket (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Chris Becker
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
371 Posts

Profile of Chris Becker
Hi -- when stealing from the inside breast pockets, I would normally use two fingers to clip the item and bring it up. I find this difficult, however, with small objects (newer cell phones, blackberrys) because they are deep down in the pocket.

Does anyone have a method to deal with this issue? Maybe push it up? Any leads would be appreciated. Maybe you could PM me.

Thanks much!

C.
- - -
<BR>Cards don't cheat people. People cheat people.
Docta FoxXx
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Docta FoxXx
Reach with the left hand for the edge of the coat (lapel) and slip your fingers into the inside breast pocket unnoticed. Do this as a casual gesture like you're examining the quality if the coat and make a statement about the coat. Gesture to the outside coat pocket near the waist and call attention to it. Grab the coat with the right hand on the same edge as the left hand (which is higher up). Keep your left hand rigid and pull UP on the coat with the right hand (ask if they have anything in the outside coat pocket or something along those lines). This action will create a crease in the coat (don't worry not the permanent kind!) which will move the contents in the inner breast pocket up into your awaiting fingers.

Once you drop the coat with the right hand, the item will almost be clear of the pocket's edge.

I just happened to find this out when working on my dummy. Not sure if it works with all coats.

Hope you can get the knack for it.
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2078 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Another alternative is to "put pocket" the item you wish to steal, or to return a previously stolen item to this same pocket pocket as you simultaneously lift the next object (ie. the blackberry).

--But watch it... Blackberries and Palm Pilots are slippery objects to sissor grasp.

Hope this helps.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
Chris Becker
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
371 Posts

Profile of Chris Becker
Thanks, I'd like to steal these items with one hand and avoid a fake put. What I do now, but it still needs practice, is I slide two fingers into the pocket and do what FoxXx suggested for two hands with the remaining three fingers. I'd like to see if that works. If not put pocket is probably the best road.

Thanks both of you!
- - -
Docta FoxXx
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Docta FoxXx
Hmmm...one hand does make it interesting, I'll mess around and see if I can come up with anything myself too.

If you happen to figure something out would you mind sharing?
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
I've had good results with this method:

Raise the specs arm on the steal side straight out to the side. Grasp the bottom of the jacket, just below the outside pocket and raise it up to their hand. Most of the time, this action will dump the object out of the inside pocket into your awaiting other hand. When it doesn't, it at least slides it closer to the mouth of the pocket for you to remove.

This is under the guise of, "Raise both arms straight out like a bird. (lift BOTH sides of the coat to start), it's a bird, it's a plane it's...(drop one side and move the now empty hand for the steal)..NEMO!" (Raise the one side of the jacket higher and dump / steal the object.)

Yes, the Nemo joke with the one bigger fin is TERRIBLE...but you've got the phone Smile
Chris Becker
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
371 Posts

Profile of Chris Becker
Sure, I will share. Chris -- I'll try your idea, too. Thx.
- - -