The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: I.B.M. Youth :: Seven Habits of Successful Magicians (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Successful magicians around the world share seven powerful habits. How many do you share?

1) Successful magicians protect the secrets of magic! Magic consists of illusions presented in a manner that replicates mystical feats. When the secret is revealed, whether intentionally or accidentally, the illusion ceases to amaze. Protect the secret. Remember and honor the Magician's Oath.

2) Successful magicians practice, practice, practice! Knowing how an effect is done and presenting that effect in a convincing and entertaining manner are two totally different things. As magicians, we must practice our effects until we can present them in a manner which protects the secret and thoroughly entertains the viewer.

3) Successful magicians respect their props and equipment! Your magic props, books, videos and equipment are very important to you. These are the tools of your trade. Care for your tools as the valuable possessions they are. While you're at it, respect and care for the tools used by your peers. Never handle a prop, notebook or piece of equipment without the consent of its owner.

4) Successful magicians are original! Watch the top magic names. Study those performers who are most highly regarded in your local area. The one thing they all have in common is their uniqueness. They stand out because they are different from common off-the-shelf copycat performers. Add a bit of yourself to every routine, every prop and every thing you do. Be the magician that others want to copy!

5) Successful magicians seek advice from those who have journeyed where they would like to go! The superstars of magic learned their craft from the minds and sweat of the masters who came before. Understand that no matter how good you think you are, the path to success is easier when shared with talented peers and mentors. Ask for help from those who have already developed their skills, produced shows and established a presence in the world of magic. Reach out to the masters who currently have stood on the spot or traveled the path that you would one day like to reach.

6) Successful magicians respect the creative rights of their peers! Magic relies on the fertile minds of creative people to advance. Without these brilliant minds and their willingness to share, new ideas and effects would slowly cease to flow. Stealing another magician's routine or idea crushes this desire to create and share. Selling or buying cheaper knock-off versions of another magician's work discourages the creative process. Treat your peers as you would like to be treated.

7) Most importantly, successful magicians engage their minds, eyes and ears while disengaging their mouths. All too often, we're so busy talking about our own successes, exploits and plans that we miss valuable tips and warnings from knowledgeable pro's around us. To get ahead, close your mouth and engage your brain!
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Hey Skip,

I haven't been in this posting section in years. Me and my son just read your article and noticed no one ever replied and I felt it was worthy enough to say:

GREAT POST! GREAT INFORMATION!

Would it be ok if I print this out??
DominotheGreat
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of DominotheGreat
That is so true skip!
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8815 Posts

Profile of harris
Awesome post. We could use post like these on Ring 2100. (link in a near by thread..... http://www.ring2100.org

I also like the fact that Kevin asked if he could reprint this.

Ethics and magic..a great combination...

I once saw a presentation by a Chicago based improv troupe on the 7 habits of ineffective teachers at a beginning of the year all staff rally. It was funny and thought provoking. Your positive approach is also great food for thought.

Harris
still too old to know everything....
uking it up before ukulele's started to become popular again...
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
MoonyD
View Profile
New user
Sydney
15 Posts

Profile of MoonyD
Wow... this was very thought provoking. Will try to abide these seven steps from now on. Thanks for this post.
Yours Truly
Moonyâ„¢ D.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Moony, thank you and welcome to the Café!
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

jackofspades11
View Profile
New user
Salt Lake City, Utah
65 Posts

Profile of jackofspades11
Great pointers! Every magician should have this posted on their wall! haha
Dal
View Profile
Regular user
Dallas, TX
124 Posts

Profile of Dal
Skip, I have to tell you, I'm a little ticked off. I've known you for a long time and have never heard this from you. I would like to respectfully submit an eighth powerful habit for a successful magician.

8. Successful magicians share their brilliance with their friends.

I realize that you put this up in 2008 but you can't expect us to find all the gems you leave lying around like Easter Eggs on the Café. Seriously brother, this is fantastic...I wish I had heard it before.

--Dal
Dal Sanders International Comedy Magician and Illusionist Based In Dallas, TX

The Society of American Magicians Past National President
M.I.M.C.*
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Quote:
On 2011-05-29 00:07, Dal wrote:
I wish I had heard it before.--Dal

:) I reposted it on the Red Nose site a month or so ago AND on SamTalk about the same time. What...you want me to spoon feed it to ya, young fella? Smile

ikarla
View Profile
New user
Miami
7 Posts

Profile of ikarla
Thank you Skip Way for your value advice.
I will print your letter and place it at my "Remember board"
Iris Caraway
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Iris Caraway
This should be the preface to a magic book.

Words we can all live by.
Magic-Scott
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of Magic-Scott
Great post for all in the magic community
Ricardini24
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Ricardini24
Have nothing to add other than, again, how fantastic this is.

Hope that bringing it to the top will mean a few more get to read it.

Regards and thanks,

Richie.
StevetheGreat
View Profile
New user
Indianapolis, IN
25 Posts

Profile of StevetheGreat
That's good skip!
Steven Smith Goodman
vladimir.hr
View Profile
New user
Croatia
4 Posts

Profile of vladimir.hr
Nice post. Rules nr.6 is not still accepted in Croatia. Sad. Kids how are not magicians copy-paste contents from websites, not respect rules practice, practice, practice... Smile
Regards,
Vladimir Stimac
https://madjionicar.hr
Professional magician from Croatia
phone: +38598229718
I.B.M.: http://www.magician.org/member/vladimir
FB: https://www.facebook.com/madjionicarvladimir/