The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: I.B.M. Youth :: Alexander, the Student's Best Friend! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Ask Alexander! Ask Alexander is an incredible online search engine provided by the Manhattan-based Conjuring Arts Research Center to CARC members. Past Int'l President Bill Spooner calls it the "Google of Magic." The database includes direct access to past and present issues of Linking Ring, Magic Circular, Sphinx, New Conjurors' Magazine, Genii, Mahatma, Hugard's Magic Monthly and much more. It is rated at over one million pages of text searchable magic history, lore, photos and effects. This should be at the top of the wish list for every serious magic student or mentor.

To use this incredible service, a Conjuring Arts member simply enters a word or phrase and almost instantly receives an abbreviated list of all references with the search criteria. Based on the subject, the number of hits could be a few, hundreds, or thousands. Each hit can be called up from the respective source for reading and/or printing out. This search process scans hundreds of books and journals in a matter of seconds. Ask Alexander searches can be ordered by ascending or descending dates, author/editor, and title. The best-selling book The Secret Life of Houdini by Bill Kalush and Larry Sloman was made possible through the massive Houdini files of Ask Alexander.

The lowest and most affordable online Charlier membership level starts at $95.00 per year and grants general access to the unbelievable Ask Alexander database. There is no greater resource for preparing those M.Y.I. lesson plans and answering those tough questions from young member's. Visit http://www.conjuringarts.org for details.

:thumbsup:
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Robvs
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Robvs
I know this is an old post but I see some new advertisements on the Café. Can someone take me through a hypothetical as to how this service could prove beneficial? In other words, step by step, is it something like "I want to learn how to use an impression pad" so I search for it, then I get every document ever produced in magazine format for the impression pad? Do I get secrets? Or linked to things like Magic Café and other forums where we bloc* the good stuff?

Just take my through why I might want to use this. Has me mildly interested.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Ask Alexander is the most valuable single resource in all of magic. The Conjuring Arts Research Center has worked hard to digitize materials in the public domain and make agreements with the rights holders of modern works. At present, it contains over two-million pages. All access levels feature keyword search; instant translation into nearly fifty languages; and personal search history. In addition, you can easily create a personalized bookshelves and collections from your favorite documents. In effect, it is Google for many things magical. Access is set at four levels: Free, Bronze, Silver, and Gold. Access to various items depends on your subscription level.

What you can access is actual manuscripts, books, letters, lecture notes, scripts and more in the public domain or copyrighted with authorized release at specific levels. At the highest subscription, you have access to over 2 million pages of magic information. Visit the website; ir's all explained there.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Robvs
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Robvs
Needs a free trial day
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
They offer a free account. You can also do a search from the Ask Alexander page that shows the magazines, manuscripts, and books available to you at all levels. What more do you want?

Do a search for Houdini or Levitation as an example of what's available.

Robvs
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Robvs
Didn't see that on the page in which I initially navigated. Only saw the pay options. Excellent. I'll check it out.

I would also like a bag of chips.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Chips are in the mail!