The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Right or Wrong? :: Another question of ethics! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
clarissa35f
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of clarissa35f
Sorry, I did not mean Her referring to you...but to the person doing the cold readings... How can anyone say that he or she, is insincere? That he or she does not believe their readings are real? How can anyone say categorically that he or she is " Faking " it? If the reader is sincere, and believes their readings are real readings. Not fake, then is it ethical to tell them " You need to make disclaimers, or not work for profit."

They believe their service has value, the person that goes to them also believes their service has value. But many would believe they are not ethical, because " There is NO WAY, they can be doing what they are doing."

When it comes to these things, All I Know is, that There is very little that I KNOW. Just because for me to do a cold reading may require trickery, does not mean that it's impossible that somewhere out there there are real readers.

As I said, the only way to determine if a reader is a faker and insincere, ...is by using REAL mentalism. That is what I find Ironic.
“Amateurs practice until they get it right.
Professionals practice until they can’t get it wrong.” <Anonymous>
"There is no such thing as magic, there is no other way that could have been done" <Whit Haydn>
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
No problem - I didn't take it as referring to me - I don't do readings - and I agree with virtually everything you've said.

Sorry if I sounded argumentative or cold - I've learnt to choose words carefully when discussing this subject - the conversation can become very heated.

I've actually enjoyed your posts in many different threads - you jump into everything that interests you with a real energy and a determination to learn everything you can. I think that's the greatest way to live a life.

Destiny
clarissa35f
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of clarissa35f
I happen to believe that life is to be lived. Not time marked on a clock or days crossed off a calendar. If you are not living, you are dieing.
"There is no such thing as magic, there is no other way that could have been done" <Whit Haydn>
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Or like that Tim McGraw song, maybe you should "Live like you are dying".
clarissa35f
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of clarissa35f
Isn't that the Irony of life though? it has often been seen that the moment someone gets a report from their doctors that they have a year to live, They start living. I mean suddenly the things they always meant to do, but put off, because " well, we'll have time in a few years." is suddenly on a List, and they cross stuff off.

As longwe are are told we are fine and healthy, we will always postpone what we wish to do... so yes, I agree. live like you are dying. Or as an old adage goes.." Live every day, as though it were your last, because one day, you'll be right."
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27309 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
A creature born is a creature dying.

It's all about how you spend what time you have here - and how what you do affects others who will remember you to those they know long after you are gone.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Heideggerian dreams....
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27309 Posts

What do you mean by that?
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Jonathan, you always say that we should READ. I agree. So...READ.

Read: Heidegger on Death.

And then come back here and read my refutation of Heidegger, here, in this thread. My refutation? DREAMS.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27309 Posts

This book: Heidegger, Martin. Being and Time. 1927. New York: Harper and Row, 1962.

?
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Right.

For Heidegger, life is something like "being toward death". Exceedingly interesting, I think, though I don't necessarily agree. Of course, in light of the other thread in the other forum about the Prestige, I think it's worth investigating. Perhaps it's worth investigating for all those interested in the deeper meaning of magic.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27309 Posts

Will do - my comment references a different tradition -> simply to recognize that we are mortal and by being born we are also (from a distant perspective) starting the countdown till our time comes and who we are we becomes something in the past tense in other people's memories - and maybe stories Smile