The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Right or Wrong? :: Write and Wrong (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Well, I saw something here today that really got my goat!

Personally, I try to be professional in all my business dealings.

To me writing is a serious business. I take my agreements seriously, and honor them. What I saw here today has irked me tremendously. I’m not going to name names, but it is not difficult to figure out.

There are a small number of publishing opportunities in our niche industry (outside of self-publication) and when one takes a chance on a new writer, it is a privilege. The publisher has to shell out a good bit of money for the book, publication, marketing, and distribution. And the dealers shell out their money stocking copies of a book that they are unsure of if will sell. There is a lot of trust that goes on. Normally the author receives money up front for the rights and sometimes gets a commission of sales after a certain number (to pay back expenses) have been sold. (In our industry, it is rare that the prerequisite numbers are ever sold for new authors and for many established authors as well.) The contract usually states when the publication rights will revert back to the author, if ever. It is an industry of trust, even at the reader/purchaser level. They purchase or not purchase based on the reputation of the author and or publisher, and in the case of new authors, it is the publisher’s reputation. It is a fragile industry.

What I saw today was that an author of a book published less than a year ago, a book still in print and in stock at the dealers as well as the publisher, a book that I personally purchased, is republishing his book in serial form on his web site for free.

This action has destroyed the market for the printed book, why purchase something that is in the author’s view a give away? Why purchase something you can get for free?

What does this mean for the publisher and dealers? Well, they have an item that they all invested in that they may not be able to sell due to the author’s actions. The dealers may have the option of returning the books to the publisher and cutting their loss, but the publisher, who has not even recaptured his investment yet, will have to reimburse them and have further losses. Yes, he could possibly go after the author for “breach of contract” not knowing the specifics, I cannot say. But as this author has already made the case that he has no resources, it is more than likely a situation that would never be resolved. And damage has been done to the reputation of the publisher by the author’s actions.

What does it mean for the new writers? Well, if this sets a precedent, which in my mind already has, there will be less of a market. Why would publishers take the chance of this situation repeating itself?

What does it mean for purchasers of these books? Potentially a wait and see attitude. Why spend money and take a chance on a new author when he or she might turn around and give it away a few months later?

This situation bothers me on several levels. Sorry to vent.

Tony Iacoviello
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1650 Posts

Profile of randirain
I agree with you Tony.
It would make me mad too.
That is if I had bought it.

and...
hmmm... who ever could you be talking about?

Randi
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
I too know what you are talking about and I was confused when I saw it. I started reading the free first chapter and then it suddenly occurred to me that this didn't feel quite right so I discontinued.

Now I am unsure if I should buy the book, just read the free one, or just totally ignore it all together.

It should be noted I have nothing against the writer of the book and it does not play into my dilemma. I was really taken back how it was announced here on the Café.
erlandish
View Profile
Inner circle
Vancouver, Canada
1254 Posts

Profile of erlandish
Question: Do we know the situation between the author and the publisher about this?

Otherwise, I suppose a rebuttal could be offered in that purchasing the book still allows for additional content not available on the blog...

I do agree that if I found out that something I bought was now being given away for free prior to having reached obsolescence, I'd be annoyed as a consumer.
The Jester Extraordinaire : bderland.com
Ye Olde Magick Blogge : erlandish.blogspot.com
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
All,
This was a promotional campaign that has met with less than desired results among the magic community.

We (Athena, Dean and I) have decided to pull the campaign because of the negative feedback.

This has also led me to make some personal decisions about my affiliation with the magic community. A decision that I will address on my blog this week.
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
John:

Quote:
We (Athena, Dean and I) have decided to pull the campaign because of the negative feedback.

Are you saying that "Dean" was part of your recent "campaign"? I don't think that is what you meant to imply but that is how it comes across.
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Tony,

See my PM to you...
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
BDC, thanks for clearing things up and making it clear of your intents.