The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Dove coloring: Which Show the best... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Bradacal
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of Bradacal
I am seriously considering coloring my birds in my act...I use 4 birds and ideally would like to keep at least 1 or 2 white...but I want to add two colours...which show the best in all situations...I do a lot of stage work, but also do in the parlour enviro as well....I am really keen on pink...I am also thinking about blue...my only worry is with blue that the bird will be too dark...is there any way to lighten the blue...ie. perhaps dilude the coloring solution with more water...I am looking for a nice light blue.

Yellow I am afraid won't be as different from white, not enough contrast....red, still not sure about..

any thoughts....also I presume AMYX is the only person who sells quality coloring solution, I am looking to buy some, not use food coloring etc.

Thanks.

M.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4865 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
MB, if you've ever seen General Grant perform, you'll see he uses a variety of colored birds including blue and yellow. All of his birds show up very well.

Jason Byrne uses yellow birds. They are very bright. I've never used Andy's coloring solution and always used food coloring. For a lighter color, just use less solution. It's like coloring easter eggs. The heavier the solution the darker the color.
Where the magic begins
Bradacal
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of Bradacal
Thanks Dave.
Wade Live
View Profile
Veteran user
Earth
322 Posts

Profile of Wade Live
The color that Andy puts out is the best I have come by. You will not be disappointed...
close_up_act
View Profile
Special user
Idaho Falls
774 Posts

Profile of close_up_act
Blue and yellow are nice and bright...but I prefer to do a nice dark pink dove....
J Rodriguez
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
881 Posts

Profile of sperris
Andy's is the easiest...we're actually working on a DVD for it as well as a downloadable video page on his site so you can see video instructions and tips and tricks we've come up with in order to make the coloring process easier on you and the dove...

I've always tried to lean folks towards natural bird colors such as yellow because you'll still run into people who will have a cow over the color birds...if it is a more "natural" color such as yellow or green I have found they are less likely to have a freak fit because green and yellow birds exist in the wild and even at the local pet store...if you make one that's say fluorescent teal or fuschia they may get a little testy...i also carry a fake PETA card with me -most normal minded people are not members of PETA, so they have no idea what a Peta membership card looks like so just flash them that if they get a little out of hand or the easiest method is a towel and eather and then lock them in the nearest closet
DANSPERRY.COM
Illusionist11
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of Illusionist11
A couple questions.
1. Do the dyes only look good on pure white doves?
2. How long do they last before they start to wear?
3. Do they just wash off with water?
4. Can you just use food coloring?
Jethro Magic
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of Jethro Magic
Smart move dan!(about the PETA card)
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1124 Posts

Profile of maps
When dyeing doves,is it colorfast? When you handle them,do the colors rubbed off on your fingers?
the heart is where the magic begins
Visit my website
[www.mascotsandpuppets.com]
PokerMagic
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of PokerMagic
Use gloves, amyx dye is the best - I've tried many other ways, but his coloring turns out the nicest.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Just a note to mention that doves change their feathers and when that happens you will see new white feathers among the colors you have used on the bird. This changing of feathers happen quite frequently. Get to know your doves when they are changing feathers and when it happens and note down the date as it happens at least 2-3 times a year. When your doves are in original white you don't notice but when they are colored you can see how fast the white feathers appear and replace the colored feathers.

I had a hard time catching up with the change, especially when most of my doves are colored. I have stopped mu dove act now so I don't have to worry about this anymore.