The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Looking for better Chinese sticks and Pom Pom poles (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
demente42
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
199 Posts

Profile of demente42
I got a pom pom stick when I was first getting seriously into magic about 13 years ago at, surprisingly, Magic Max (Old Town Magic) in Kissimmee, FL. I've since seen many styles of pom pom sticks come through a different magic shop where I worked for 10 years, and none have been as nice as the ones I got at Magic Max. I'm not sure who made them, and I haven't been able to find them since, but they have a great grooved, black rubber grip to the pole that I just love. They've always worked very smoothly for me. Is anyone else familiar with this model and might know who makes them?
Brandon Smith

Imagine The Impossible
www.MagicForAnyOccasion.com

Creator of Dough or No Dough & Show Me the Bunny.
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1393 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
I recommend the Ping and Pong Chines Sticks as the best new set you can readily get. They work very well.

Here is my Chinese Stick Scrapbook:

http://s474.photobucket.com/albums/rr110......lideshow

I have them all except the 3 or 4 I am looking for, and help would be appreciated.

ACE
Joe(JOJO)Strauch

Posted: Nov 11, 2008 3:44pm
And just remember, the problem with the Pom Pom poles, is that when you separate them, you cannot do the trick anymore. So I have not been able to figure out what is so amazing about them.

I remember talking to "Peri the Hobo" a New Orelans Street Performer back in the 80's. He said, "David Copperfield can't do his sticks when he takes them apart and I CAN!" (David had just used the Pom Pom Poles in his Nationwide show, and Peri was using Chinese Sticks!)

ACE
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
WRONG... at least the Plumber's Sticks I make (and others I have seen) you put 'em back together and VOILA they work just like at the beginning. Thanks to the M****ts.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1393 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
But they do not work when they are APART. Chinese sticks work when you put one in your pocket and one at arms length APART! I have not seen any POM POM pole effects do this, except one that I made out of Chinese Sticks!
I reserve the right to market this!

ACE
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
That's interesting, using two chinese sticks combined with the Histed way. Will think about that. Not sure if the string lengths would work when splitting the stick.
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1393 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
Pete, I know you've been working on that motor thing.
that might work with this.
Plumber sticks that work apart! I want the first set!
Looking at my Kovari Hungarian sticks, they break in half, and the string still works, it's long on a little less than 1/2 stick. Same principle as the string that comes out 5 times the length in his Ultimate sticks.

So that system might work in making the strings long.

Food for thought.

ACE

Posted: Oct 9, 2009 6:35pm
Updated collection:
http://s474.photobucket.com/albums/rr110......tart=all
or http://s474.photobucket.com/albums/rr110......lideshow

ACE (the dancing stickman)
Christopher Rinaldi
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of Christopher Rinaldi
Looks real nice ACE, really nice!
dilan_thomas
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of dilan_thomas
If no one has said it yet...Randi Rain makes a really cool set. They look like dynamite sticks. Randi's work is all top notch. You can find them at http://www.randirain.com.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2008-09-04 01:12, demente42 wrote:
I got a pom pom stick when I was first getting seriously into magic about 13 years ago at, surprisingly, Magic Max (Old Town Magic) in Kissimmee, FL. I've since seen many styles of pom pom sticks come through a different magic shop where I worked for 10 years, and none have been as nice as the ones I got at Magic Max. I'm not sure who made them, and I haven't been able to find them since, but they have a great grooved, black rubber grip to the pole that I just love. They've always worked very smoothly for me. Is anyone else familiar with this model and might know who makes them?

Dan Dyer from Dandymagic.com was the one who made those sticks.
dandymagic@aol.com he was part of the slave labor crew at magic maxx back-room.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Ponsi Pom Pom Stick

These are specially handcrafted for Dandy Magic. When assembled it is nearly nineteen inches long and is very visible with the large colored pom poms. The routine always brings a laugh and looks like real magic when the pom poms seem to be all connected to each other when pulling them down or up. Which ever ones you want connected, it appears to happen and is always under your control. "the blue one is connected to the red one which is connected to the yellow one which is connected to the green one which is connected to the blue one which is".... on and on until all are amazed even more when you separate the stick in the middle to show NO CONNECTIONS whatsoever! What a surprise! These Pom Poms include a nice routine, although you'll have fun creating your own as well. This magic effect always keeps them quessing, plays big, and is always lots of fun!
$ 49.99

Click here to view attached image.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1393 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
Quote:
On 2008-08-12 20:26, Lawrence O wrote:
Who has a really surprising climax for his routine. This seems to me to be a problem with the chinese sticks.

Benson does, and you can see the master at work at the link below:

This new set is quite nice, a set of Chinese sticks crafted by George Millward, scroll down to the second picture to see the decorated ones:

http://www.nnmagic.com/magicitems/stagem......#chinese

(Also note: there is the famous Benson Routine performed at this link!)

ACE
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Mikame apparently makes these sticks now but even as a dealer I can't seem to get my hands on them yet. I'm trying.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
woodguest
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of woodguest
I have the Mikame chinese sticks and they are fantastic for the price. Craftmenship is really amazing and they have very smooth action.
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1393 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
I have an older Mikame set from the first run and they are not that great.
I'm worried if the string breaks, you cannot open them to fix it. They are very noisy and the string kind of gets "fuzz" on it so it does not slide up and down well.
I think I can quote Pete Biro as saying he threw his out!
I'm wondering if the new set is any better?
Any difference?
If so, and they are different, I would get a new set for my collection.

ACE
woodguest
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of woodguest
Mine work great, I have them about two months. You can fix them easily if the string breaks, just move the gimmick to the upper part of the stick where the hole is and put new string throught it. Noise isn't problem (especially if you work at the stage, parlor...music is playing or you are talking). I tried to handle two sticks of wood like that and they make simmilar noise too, just "clack" noise. Good thing about them is, that they look just like two pieces of wood. Now they are sold for about 70USD, nice price.
piperdod
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of piperdod
Hello,does any one have any feedback on the chinese sticks that supreme used to make...thanks tony
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2009-10-11 22:36, dilan_thomas wrote:
...Randi Rain makes a really cool set. They look like dynamite sticks. Randi's work is all top notch. You can find them at http://www.randirain.com.

I agree! Although I don't own them (yet), I can say this is a great idea! It makes sense! It can build a routine on a theme, starting with the TNT sticks! People will get a BANG out of it! (>smirk<)

The best part is they're only $50! Even LESS when she has a sale! Smile

Doug
Jon Blakeney
View Profile
Special user
Australia
657 Posts

Profile of Jon Blakeney
Hocus pocus now have a three foot set and a six foot set of chinese sticks in the style of magic wands.
'What the eye's see the heart must believe"
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Just got the $17 Abbott ones. They look good, but I need to see if I can get inside and make them work smoother. Maybe slicker string and lighter tassles.