The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Short-review: Jay Sankey's ZERO GRAVITY (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
gitty
View Profile
Special user
Vienna, Austria
871 Posts

Profile of gitty
Ok, I am a fan/freak of every levitation, floating, flying, ... so ordered ZERO GRAVITY.

I received the DVD a few days ago - first I was disappointed when I saw the gimmick inside the DVD-case. It was too simple for me! But after watching Jay Sankey's performance/presentation and explanation - I changed my mind.
The trick is easy to perform but has a very strong effect of the audience.

I am sure that the kind of effect isn't new but I haven't seen any performances of it.

The DVD is perfect filmed and the explanation a very clear.

It's a nice little trick and the gimmick/DVD is worth the price.
WALTHER
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2230 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
I thouht Zero Gravity was Mike Bent's routine and marketed item? The only ones I know of that come with a gimmick is Wild Levitation and Peter Loughlins Elevator.
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
gitty
View Profile
Special user
Vienna, Austria
871 Posts

Profile of gitty
Shomemagic,
you are right - it's confusing because Mike Bent's ZERO GRAVITY was/is a self-levitation - Jay Sankey's ZERO GRAVITY has the same name but it's a levitation of small objects like cell-phone, ...
WALTHER
bostonthorn
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of bostonthorn
I am with gitty I love it
Sid Helkule
View Profile
Inner circle
Australia
1481 Posts

Profile of Sid Helkule
I jst received it yesterday and thought it was very average. It can only be used as an opener, and there is no easy way to get prepped if any eyes are on you. I'm a big Sankey fan, but this one just wasn't for me. Personal preference I suppose...
Thales
View Profile
Elite user
You may have read one of my
415 Posts

Profile of Thales
I saw the video at Sankey's site and immediately thought of a simple method for doing it which is probably exactly what he is doing. Anyway I am not impressed with what I saw. Jay's DVDs are always very good so maybe that would be worth the price but I think I will skip this one. Maybe I will make my own gimmick and give it a try...
"If you can't change the method, change the moment." Vernon
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1482 Posts

Profile of jstone
I have zero gravity. I actually liked it quite a bit. As for using it as only an opener, that's not true. Jay teaches a couple of methods for getting into it during performance. However, with even a tiny amount of creativity, it's very easy to come up with a way to get in during performance.

Also, without tipping the method, there are many effects that use this "principle" or this type of gimmick. I've used this "principle" in several performances where I easily was able to get into it in the middle of the act.

This kind of stuff really nails spectators. They love seeing small borrowed objects float or suspend mere inches from their face... very powerful stuff.
Nick Sand
View Profile
Veteran user
323 Posts

Profile of Nick Sand
Quote:
On 2008-06-12 22:19, Sid Helkule wrote:
I jst received it yesterday and thought it was very average. It can only be used as an opener, and there is no easy way to get prepped if any eyes are on you. I'm a big Sankey fan, but this one just wasn't for me. Personal preference I suppose...

Attach the gimmick to a gravity holdout. Problem solved.
Ms. Merizing
View Profile
Loyal user
Edwin Carl Erwin is digging postholes for
232 Posts

Profile of Ms. Merizing
Baffled the moolah, scratch, spondulick right out of the happy, giggly drunks I performed for at last weekend's street festival.

In a busking setting my experience is that people are reluctant to loan a billfold for the effect, but will readily hand over a cell phone. Interesting.
Pleased to continue finding that all the world's a stage.
Lliam
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Lliam
Quote:
On 2008-05-01 15:34, gitty wrote:
I received the DVD a few days ago - first I was disappointed when I saw the gimmick inside the DVD-case. It was too simple for me! But after watching Jay Sankey's performance/presentation and explanation - I changed my mind.

I had a similar reaction.

I got the dvd opened it up saw the gimmick and literally said out loud "oh it's a ____" Smile I was pretty disappointed that that's what I had paid for. But then after I watched the dvd it changed my mind completely! Smile

Lliam