The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Step right up! :: E-Z Up tent question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Josh Peters
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, MN
64 Posts

Profile of Josh Peters
Hey Michael,
The stabar system works well. The problem I continued to have was that the legs of the ez up would shift around with the wind. The stabar holds the legs together very well. I staked the tent down since I was on gravel, and the bars really seemed to help hold the whole tent together and down. They're 5' steel 1 1/2" pipes that pop together and attach to the legs with connecters that are bolted on with thumb screws.
They add weight to the tent, they hold the legs together in a square, I'm happy with them.
Josh
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2734 Posts

Profile of sethb
Just happened to see a Quest brand of outdoor tent on sale at a local sporting goods store for $100. This is advertised as a 10' "straight-leg" tent, sort of an E-Z Up clone. Although I have not seen it close up, it sounds like a good deal for the price, which is about one-half the cost of an E-Z Up.

I have a Quest 10' "Instant Shelter," which has the dreaded diagonal-style legs (!), but it has given me good service for the past two seasons with no problems. When this tent dies, I will definitely take a look at that Quest "straight-leg" model. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Brane
View Profile
Loyal user
Virginia, USA
272 Posts

Profile of Brane
I have an EZ Up 10 x 10, with side walls and zip 'front.' I guess it's an Embassy 2. I do NOT have the 'Sky Banner,' tho I DO have about an 8 foot long banner for the top and two hang-down signs for the sides, per Doug.
Any hints about attaching the signs without buying the Sky Banner? Perhaps two long (how long?) plastic pipes taped/ bungee'd to the front side posts of the tent, then attach the banner between these? Probably using some clever method, involving drilling holes in the plastic pipes, and bungees or nylon rope or whatever. (The signs have grommets in all 4 corners.)
I guess the question is how LONG should these two long pipe sections be? I have pictures of the Sky Banner, but no dimensions are shown.
Or does anyone have suggestions on attaching upright pipes/poles to the front tent poles?
brane
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2734 Posts

Profile of sethb
Brane, we are discussing this exact issue in another thread, click HERE to view.

BTW, although I haven't gotten that far yet (on figuring out how to attach the banner to the poles), my initial thought was to use radiator clamps instead of drilling holes in the poles themselves. Then I could also use the setscrew in the clamp to hold a small piece of angle iron, a hook or something else that I could hook the bungee cord to. But I would wrap the bungee around the pole once or twice before hooking it to the clamp, which might help reduce the stress or pull on the clamp by distributing it over a bigger area. I thought this would be a stronger connection, whereas drilling holes might weaken the poles.

But as I said, I haven't tried any of these ideas in the real world as yet, so I have no idea whether they would actually work. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
My Banners should be in today or tomorrow at latest. A new idea which I want to test.

2 side banners are a bit larger than I had at 3x4 and the top line banner is 2x8

I do not want the actual copy revealed here on the Café but the left banner is the same as the How-To (but with very large lettering)...the right vertical is completely different and new (will be an interesting test) and the top line is partial former right side banner copy and some NEW. This will be for the Mammoth...so I am trying a tiny bit different approach with it. I still want it to be a 'blind' pitch (The key to Flea Market shows) yet offer a slight (VERY slight) hint that this could be Legit.

Challenge is I don't have an EZ-UP and don't have the energy to build another back of the truck PVC rig. (I might though).

So if anybody in SoCal that is doing a QUALITY (not ghetto stuff) Flea Market and wishes to be part of the banner change test for a day and has a rig for 3x4 side banners and the 2x8 top line let me know. We can split the take. The location will be important so I may nix the green light. You got the market and set up your EZ-UP and I'll be there bright and early, bring the new Zibit and the banners and work the joint. It's even better if you have a track record with the Mer show as then we can test the new stuff based on that.

eMail me please rather than PM.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Brane
View Profile
Loyal user
Virginia, USA
272 Posts

Profile of Brane
Thank you very much, Seth!
brane