The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Gambling Spot :: Palm from (Table) riffle shuffle position (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
C-Taylor
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of C-Taylor
This might not go here but, I was just wondering if anyone has played with this. I can do it but cant make it look natural enough. To not confuse one, you have control of card(s) and in the act of shuffling them and pushing them together you get the card(s) into palm(from the center of the deck). references, talk, or experience.
"theres a lot of good card magic in that book, unfortunately you have to have skill to do most of it." Smile
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Forte has, and it is on Allan's tape, a great steal of a card, during the shuffle, into flat palm. With a little modification it could be used to steal a center card (rather then the bottom one).

I have toyed with the act of palming while PREPARING to shuffle (so palming as the deck is cut to shuffle), but other then the forte action I haven't played with much else (that resulted in anything worth noting).

Off the top of my head I would suggest looking in the Bertram books to see what you can find. After I go swimming I'll come home and check em out!

Peace,
Ben
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
C-Taylor
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of C-Taylor
Ben, will you be in SF this year? Also I'm aware of the Bertram/ Marlo methods as well as the Fulves stuff. The Forte thing is new I will check it out, thank. This is an area I'm sure many will not travel, but it's still nice to play with -
"theres a lot of good card magic in that book, unfortunately you have to have skill to do most of it." Smile
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
The Golden Gate Gathering you mean?

I'm trying, oh so hard, to get there.

The problem is that I wanted to go when Johnny Thompson was home (he won't be during that period) and I'm in summer school and it would be during mid-terms...

I'm working on it though!

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
JasonEngland
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, NV
1731 Posts

Profile of JasonEngland
Just to clarify, the shuffle palm on Forte's DVD in fact belongs to Allan Ackerman. Steve and Allan met just after Steve moved to Vegas in the late 1970s. Forte actually took a lesson or two from Allan in those days. The shuffle palm was given to him for use on the tapes in the mid-80s.

Jason

PS: The move in question can be found in Allan's Las Vegas Kardma on p. 59. It's called the Master Move Action Palm.
Eternal damnation awaits anyone who questions God's unconditional love. --Bill Hicks
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Two demerit points for bad crediting.

I mixed up the story, and, of course, Jason is right. It is also on Allan's 8 volume series Advanced Card Control (volume 1).

C-Taylor
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of C-Taylor
Cool thanks. Jason do you have any other references? And what are your thoughts on this move?
rawdawg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
686 Posts

Profile of rawdawg
I recall Darwin Ortiz having a gambler's palm from center during a tabled riffle shuffle on his Cheating tape.
One time, when I was young, I botched a sleight so bad, Vernon, Marlo & Miller rolled over in their graves. But I didn't see Elmsley, probably because he was behind the others.
MagicKim
View Profile
Special user
Ã…land, Finland
621 Posts

Profile of MagicKim
Rawdawg, I am not thinking straight right now. I have been on a tax free gathering, viking line's and lots of partying for about 24 hours and got home 10 minutes ago, but if I recall correctly.. the Ortiz method is palming the cards from the bottom (center after cutting the deck). I am not sure if the point is to get them out while shuffling, but I assume it is. Sorry if I am wrong.

Kim
Clock
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
460 Posts

Profile of Clock
C-Taylor,

Keep in mind that this shuffle chop is not from a standard table riffle. The best way to describe it is a 'in the hands table riffle'.

Now, I have played around with chopping out from a genuine table riffle. Very tricky... but possible.
Grant Carden

www.fastcompanydvd.com
magician8
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of magician8
That palm is very similar to the one that can be seen in Richard Turner's The Cheat dvd I believe except for the position the cards are stolen at.

JasonEngland
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, NV
1731 Posts

Profile of JasonEngland
Strange timing...

One of the very best palms from (during rather) a riffle shuffle was shown to me today by Steve. He says he believes its in the footage he owes me for the new release of the Gambling Protection Series.

I'd never seen the move before and it fooled me the first time he did it. Even when you know it's happening it looks great.

Let's hope he gets me the footage soon!

Jason
Eternal damnation awaits anyone who questions God's unconditional love. --Bill Hicks
MagicKim
View Profile
Special user
Ã…land, Finland
621 Posts

Profile of MagicKim
Sounds awesome Jason! Btw, what do you think of the method in Darwin's "Darwin Ortiz on card cheating"?

Kim
Clock
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
460 Posts

Profile of Clock
Using your left thumb as a pivot point, I've found that you can easily move the top card into clip palm position from table riffle position. Fun steal...
Grant Carden

www.fastcompanydvd.com