The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Finger/stage manipulation :: sweaty hands (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
FCpreacher
View Profile
Elite user
PA
439 Posts

Profile of FCpreacher
I have done a search on this and nothing comes up. Everyone has dry hands. My hands are like the trick "Inexaustible Sponge." Even fakini balls slip out at times, when I palm them. I have put up with it to this point, but I have now worked my way up to using 2" balls. I have tried Abbott's Palming Fluid; but that just makes my hands more slippery. I need to solve this problem. Any solutions?

Thanks,

FC
inidyls
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
315 Posts

Profile of inidyls
GLOVES. Ha ha. Smile
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
There is something you can get in office supply stores. It's pink in color, but I forget what it is called. People who count money use this, and cashiers use it a lot. It comes in a little dish or container, and it is like a very soft wax. I am not sure what it's called. Sorry. Smile
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
FC,
There is something for sweaty hands. (I have just the opposite problem.) It is in Lewis Ganson's Routined Manipulation books, in his chapter on billiard balls. I will look it up and post the answer. Hold on...
Best,
Jim

Okay, FC, here's what Ganson suggests for sweaty hands:
1) Liniment of Belladonna
2) Run cold water on your wrists right before.

From pages 96/97 of Routined Manipulation Part 2 by Lewis Ganson:

"Liniment of Belladonna should be rubbed on the hands if they perspire too freely. It was suggested that a chemist friend could make this up for one. I must admit that I have not had reason to try this, but have no doubt that it is effective. By reason of its name, I suggest that the same chemist friend should be asked if it is quite safe to use, or if any special precautions should be taken. I know that some performers, whose hands are too moist, allow cold water to run on their wrists just before they manipulate."

Hope this helps.
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
FCpreacher
View Profile
Elite user
PA
439 Posts

Profile of FCpreacher
Thanks, Jim. I have used the cold water idea in the past and it works great ... for a while. I guess I will keep my routines short and sweet.

I tried the pink stuff from the office place today. It gives a wonderful tackiness to the hands, but does not help the moisture problem.

I may try some spray on anti-perspirant. Maybe that will work.

FC
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
FC,
As I said, I have just the opposite problem: dry hands. When my hands sweat, that's when I'm at my best with billiard balls. However, I have gotten a tip for dry hands from someone else on this site: glycerine, rose water, and alcohol. It works great. It does make my hands kind of veiny. But give the Belladonna a try. Ganson also said it works. Also, maybe you ask a pharmacist for ideas. Let us know how it goes!
Jim

PS: How's the routine? Has it changed since the golf ball from the little briefcase?
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
FCpreacher
View Profile
Elite user
PA
439 Posts

Profile of FCpreacher
You know, I almost abandoned that idea. I tried the fakini golf balls, and they have nowhere near the grip that the billiard balls have. The billiards have a nice finish on them that the golf balls don't have. I'm not saying the golf balls are not excellent, but for a sweaty handed individual like myself; they don't work the best. I still did one show with them, though. I am still pursuing that idea. I don't like how Tim Wright and others just pick up a ball out of a hat; or whatever. I think the first ball production should be magical. Just my thought.
Magicman13
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Magicman13
I agree with the "magical" production of the first ball. I too sweat when performing. Also, I use fakini 2" balls. I did not come up with the concoction. I just learned to adjust my palm with the sweat. Maybe this is the best answer for you.

Where are you guys perfoming these routines? What types of shows? Parties, etc?

Cheers! Smile

Leon.
"Leave your own Legacy." *Mickey Mantle

"Be Natural." *The Professor
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
I usually perform my manipulation acts at night clubs, banquets, and hotels. I always carry a towel in my manipulation case; because depending on the event where I am performing, it can be hot, cold, sticky (clubs sometimes have spilled beer) etc. So be prepared for your acts! Smile
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
How about a transformation to get the first ball "rolling?" Use whatever you have just finished with; maybe a coin, a silk, etc. Turn it into the first ball, and off you go.
Jim
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Be careful with any potion containing belladonna. The active ingedient is atropine. This is a strong drug, which can be poisonous if ingested. If you rub your eyes with this stuff accidentally, your pupil will dilate and your vision will be impaired until the drug wears off.
FCpreacher
View Profile
Elite user
PA
439 Posts

Profile of FCpreacher
WOW, thanks for the heads up, Count. I just tried Tannon's method, which has rose water and glycerine in it. No luck there either. I may just stick with cold water.

Thanks for all the help.

FC
Backroomboy
View Profile
Regular user
David
114 Posts

Profile of Backroomboy
Not to worry, Count- anything labelled as a liniment is usually a tincture, and is dissolved in alchohol or some other solvent. Put that in your eyes and you'll howl with pain long before you'll poison yourself.

As the Count notes, belladonna dilates the pupils, and had been used in the past for centuries. It was used up until the late 1920's, to make the eyes of women seem more alluring.

Dilated pupils are an unconscious signal of pleasure and stimulation to the opposite sex, as is a slightly flushed appearance and lips that are swollen and slightly parted.

Hmmmm... maybe I should take a cold shower.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi FCPreacher:

I no longer perform card manipulations, but for years, I did - and I had the same problem as you... sweaty hands. It was somewhat of a hassle, but before going on stage, I would wash my hands in soap and cold water. I just used whatever soap was available, and it worked like a charm for me. Water by itself didn't seem to do the trick. As long as I did it within 10 minutes or so before performing, I was okay.

Ron Reid
Carron
View Profile
Special user
UK
958 Posts

Profile of Carron
Anti-perspirant does the trick for me. Someone told me a while ago that if you use petroleum jelly it works quite well; be careful not to use flash paper around the pet. jelly though! Smile
FCpreacher
View Profile
Elite user
PA
439 Posts

Profile of FCpreacher
Tom, do you use the spray anti-perspirant?