The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Smooth as silk :: Help with a silk routine from a beginner! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
Hello everyone, I just recently happened to find out that a local business is doing a nation convetion, and would like to "open" with a magic routine, and for them I suggested a silk routine, which I know next to nothing about....

They want to have 5 custom printed silks- let's say A-B-C-D-E, with 2 (C-D) being dupes. They will then tie A and B together with a dupe, and then have C change into E, then show the dupe tied together with A&B.

I know how the tie method works, and I was thinking about using a box to change the silks, but I also thought about using a TT and something like the "lightning silk production" to make it appear to change...

So my questions would be:

1. How would one put a cartoonish drawing onto a silk? There is going to be a toothbrush, floss, and then multiple teeth on silks... would iron-on printout's from a computer work? Would someone just draw onto a silk?

2. What would be a good method for changing the silks be, I would rather use a box type gimick than a dye-tube or TT just because they will be large silks and I haven't worked with a dye-tube before.

3. Where can you buy that type of box, that would hold a secret load, and then cause one silk to vanish.

4. What about changing the silk visually with the lightning silk production gimick? And how large of a silk can fit in dye-tube should I use one?

Thanks for reading this post and offering any advice!!!
FrankStone
View Profile
New user
South Africa/Taiwan
74 Posts

Profile of FrankStone
I would suggest that you realy invest in the Paul Diamond Video's on Silks as well as the Laffen tapes.

On the Paul Diamond tape he goes through the whole proccess of how to put designs on silks. He also explains a really great silk routine on there that is an ideal opener for a show, and the routine actually won quite a few competitions at Conventions.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Macgyver:

Concerning the box you're looking for.
A Silk Cabby sounds exactly like what you're after. It's a fairly small box with a door on the front and on the back. The two sides of the box each have a hole (about an inch in diameter). You can show the box empty, close up both doors and produce a silk through the hole. You can vanish a silk in the box. Or... you can stick a silk in the box, and have it change colors. There's tons of things you can do with the prop.

It is a standard prop that's been around for a long time. You can pay as little as $40.00 or as much as $500.00 plus.

I saw a nice, fairly inexpensive one at
http://www.dennymagic.com
for about $80.00 I think.

http://www.dazzlingmagic.com
has a fairly nice one too.

Or if you want to go crazy, check out
http://www.owenmagic.com
for the $500.00 model.

Hope this helps you.

Ron Reid