The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The little darlings :: WOLF'S CHICKEN SWORD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
jondark445
View Profile
Special user
717 Posts

Profile of jondark445
Okay, I'm curious if anyone has a similar experience to me...and what they do about it.

I get an AMAZING response to this. I've structured my show so that this is the final routine I do...I've done this for a reason. You see, while I get a great response, the one thing that constantly happens is when the cards shoot into the air I get kids running from the back of the room just to pick them up and take one home. They just about kill each other to get to the cascade of cards.

This is the reason why I put it at the end of my show, because after the ensuing chaos it's been difficult to get the kids back.

Suggestions? Help? It's the only thing I ever have a problem like this with.

--Jon
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
I've found this happen at times as well. The usual recommendations would be to have a magic line or area identified as you stage and mention it in your preshow routine. I use my size an excuse and say that I might not notice if anyone crosses the line and that I wouldn't want them hurt. I think some performers say other lines like if the kids cross the magic line that they might be turned into toads and the like.

The other thing you can do with the launching of the cards is to tilt the bucket backwards slightly so that the cards go more straight up and behind you. This will also limit the temptation for the kids to come forward. The only thing with the backward tilt is to make sure that you watch how you do it so that you don't reveal the bottom of the barrel for obvious reasons. Hope this is of some help to you.

jeff

ps. one other handling note is that I added a small cape to both of the chickens so that when I put it away and then later take it back out it gives more of an impression that its the same bird. You could obviously dress up the bird any way that you like that would match your routine and how you interact with the chicken.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3727 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Agree with both of you! Those little boogers (children, not the nasal things) will run over you for ANYTHING that hits the ground. I've had them RUSH to pick up a piece of balloon that I let go after inflating. What's up with these kids? Future shopping bag people?

Lots of times with the cards, they'll grab 'em to keep, but sometimes, they think they'll just hand 'em to you. Same thing can (and WILL) happen with a Wolf's Magic "Blow Yur Stack"...the instant a cup hits the floor...they're all over ya to grab 'em.

Steve
michaelstellman
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
76 Posts

Profile of michaelstellman
Just a though. . If that happens. . maybe get your biz card or info printed on the back of the playing cards. . that way everyone who gets "grabby" goes home with your contact info. . just a thought. . .

of course. . nothing beats good crowd control
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I like the ideas so far.

I always chuckle when someone mentions "crowd control" like it's some mystical force. (Sorry Michael that sounds like I'm picking on you, I'm not, I love your business card idea, it's just I've seen it mentioned like that quite a lot in the past and decided now would be a good time to share my thoughts).

For me 'crowd control' is a multifaceted creature which has to be adapted to suit each particular situation. Not throwing a lot of cards on the floor, to me, is an aspect of crowd control.

But there are other methods of control that can help, too. Define your sitting down rule and get everyone to cross their legs as close to the moment there will be cards on the floor as possible. If you can, get a volunteer up after this (possibly even someone to pick all your cards up!) and use this as bribery to keep them sitting before the moment.

The trouble with things like this is if one child does something and he breaks a boundary or unwritten rule and then you get a flood of children. I think this is why we get annoyed by a single child talking or misbehaving. Firstly it's a distraction and secondly, he's opening the floodgates for everyone to break the same boundaries.

What about an umbrella? Can you position an umbrella so all the cards fall into it? Then close it up as soon as they land?

George
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8815 Posts

Profile of harris
Great ideas...love to hear more about crowd control.

Netting, Giant Trash Can, Card eating Falcon, sticky stuff on the ceiling..... : )

Kid shows keep me on my toes and humble.
I remember when one preschooler decided to have a drink during my show.(at a sports center) With a blink of the eye there was 4 people in line at the water fountain...The 5th was...me....(at least that is what I plan on doing next time.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
kimmo
View Profile
Inner circle
Sheffield
1193 Posts

Profile of kimmo
There is no way you can set off a card fountain or throw anything into the crowd, without children grabbing for it. It's a bit like putting a rump steak in front of a starving dog and telling him not to eat it!

I may have mentioned this before but IF YOU CAN'T HIDE IT, PAINT IT RED!

Make the grabbing of the cards part of the performance. When I was doing the Wacky Waccoon I saved the card fountain until the end. I would get the kids to give the Waccoon a round of applause and then remark that 'at least he didn't make a mess, like last time!'

That's when I would start the card fountain. As soon as it was over, before the last cards had hit the floor, I'd toss a box down in front of the kids and say:

'I'm going to need your help to clear all this up. I'm going to pick out the first helper who is sitting up nice and straight when all these cards are back in the box.'

The kids will then RACE to pick the cards up for you. I found that by the time I had turned to put away the Waccoon prop and then turned back, the cards were tidied away and the children would be sitting up quietly, eager to be picked out!

Parents often commented on what great control I had!
VISIT MY ONLINE STORE!: www.kimmomagicshop.com
NEW LECTURE NOTES - SHOW US YOUR TRIX NOW AVAILABLE AS AN INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOAD!

Kimmo DVD available Now!
Watch the promo here!
Order your copy NOW! CLICK HERE!

ENTERTAINER,MAGICIAN AND VENTRILOQUIST'S BLOG - DON'T READ THIS...
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Brilliant!
michaelstellman
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
76 Posts

Profile of michaelstellman
Thank you for that. . I like that a lot!
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
Words of wisdom from a champion...thanks Kimmo Smile
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7568 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I'm impressed. Great solution, Kimmo!

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
jondark445
View Profile
Special user
717 Posts

Profile of jondark445
There were some GREAT ideas here, folks. Thanks very much. And, Kimmo....BRILLIANT!!!

--Jon
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
A frind of mine used ground rules at the start of his show ...... as I am sur many do ..... he also has a magic picking stick (for picking volenteers - he cant control it its a magic stick - he knows not its reasosn for picking!)

He too has used the "first one sitting quitly arms folded" thing to great effect. its a good line.

he has found that the picking stick hsa reduced the amount of times he hears the "why did you not pick me" question - in fact he says he has not heard that since he started using it.
magicmanfrank
View Profile
Inner circle
1127 Posts

Profile of magicmanfrank
Passing the blame ointo the stick, huh?

Interesting.

=Frank=
The Early Bird may get the Worm, but it's the SECOND Mouse that gets the CHEESE!!!

Frank Thurston

www.FrankThurstonMagic.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Magic-of-Frank-Thurston/116625117910?ref=nf
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
I agree with Kimmo, that's pretty much what I do. The kids are desperate to pick up the cards, so let them. Don't see them grabbing at the cards as a negative thing at all, they're interacting, which is a good thing. The control comes from your directions as to what happens to the cards once they've been picked up.