The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The clothes we wear :: Tux shirt (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
KurtK
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of KurtK
Yep I got it working now Smile good pic if I say so myself.
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
Westfield, North Carolina, USA
449 Posts

Profile of The Great Danton
Well, I'll say that I think it's more appropriate then your old one.

Nice to see the tie worked out for you, now you know how to wear that bow tie. ;-)

Danton
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house."
KurtK
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of KurtK
Yeah thanks Danton!
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
I found most people prefered me to wear a bow-tie.

But one friend wanted me to tie my own and wear a tux shirt. Unfortunately, we can't get them here. When I'm back in the UK I'm buying them from http://www.tiewarehouse.co.uk/advanced_s......&&page=1

I've seen other magicians wearing magically themed ties / bowties and want to try the effect.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Well, I'm sure you know my opinion by now, if possible, do learn to tie one yourself. I think self tied ties give off a feeling you can't get with a pre-tied.

I'm lucky that there is a store rather close to home that sells some very nice bowties, so whenever I'm in town I take a look to see if there are any that I like, and if there are I usually go ahead and buy it. =)

Have fun trying out the bowtie look!
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house."
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
I would agree that self-tied almost always looks better, however the couture brand Band of Outsiders has some very high end clip-on ones that look excellent. These are available through Barney's: http://www.barneyscoop.com

I personally have a Zegna self-tie with a subtle black-on-black paisley print as well as a vintage burgundy Charvet.

One thing I would caution when wearing a bow-tie is to avoid a black suit or one runs the risk of looking far too formal. One night I wore my black suit and a bow-tie to my restaurant gig and had to deal with (well-deserved) jokes about how I looked like I was going to a funeral.
People who work for Theory 11: Do you want a young guy without a stupid gelled haircut or eurotrash jeans for your videos? PM me.
KurtK
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of KurtK
Hmm I have 4 bowties now. I started picking them up once in a while when I get the chance.
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
733 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
My gosh, I wear a jacket with sequins, and the tie I wear also has sequins as well, but, umm, err, ahh, it's attatched to an elastic string the goes around my coller. I know it's only a matter of time before I'm asked to leave the Café...
Bob.
TRUMPETMAN
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
705 Posts

Profile of TRUMPETMAN
Don't fret Bob, I wear a sequined tie, too. Mine is black for most shows. I change it for holidays (Red for Valentines, Green for St. Pat's, Blue for 4th of July, etc.). Of course, I work for little kids, so it helps to be flashy to keep them focused on the stage. Works for me, anyway !

Mark Pettey
Naples, FL (waiting for another hurricane to cruise by)
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
facebook.com/robbietheringmaster
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Where are you buying your sequined ties?
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Hey, nothing wrong with sequined ties, I would interested to know where you are getting them also. Good sequined items can be hard to find, if you get ones that are too cheap the sequins fall off too easily. Then it's just a cheap looking tie!

Danton
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
Quote:
On 2008-10-05 16:45, The Great Danton wrote:
Hey, nothing wrong with sequined ties, I would interested to know where you are getting them also.

Danton

I beg to differ.

Sequins are a horribly outdated clothing embellishment that look gaudy and tasteless at best. I would rank them slightly below the bunny/playing card tie in terms of class.

there are many ways to dress flashily ad boldly without resorting to a clothing item that was a joke in it's heyday.

Look not just to Blaine, Derren Brown or the mainstream famous magicians, look to the magicians who are well respected in the culture. None of them are wearing sequins.

Unless you are a comedy performer there is no excuse.
People who work for Theory 11: Do you want a young guy without a stupid gelled haircut or eurotrash jeans for your videos? PM me.
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Quote:
Unless you are a comedy performer there is no excuse.

In which case there is no excuse, and it's fine! =P