The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Would good 'ole VHS magic tapes still sell??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Lumas
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC
202 Posts

Profile of Lumas
FTAMagician,

I would encourage you not to release anything on VHS. Like others have mentioned, most people don't even own a video player anymore. Mine broke about a year or so ago and I don't plan on buying a new one. It takes up too much space nowadays to have a dvd player, vhs, stero receiver, cable box, etc.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Problem is for me that I have shelves of tapes from L&L back when they were putting things out in that format. My VCR broke, and the tapes are surely losing their life expectancy.

I considered looking on Ebay for a used VCR player.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Quote:
On 2008-03-30 17:04, thefliss wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-03-30 00:20, mrunge wrote:
I think we'll be just fine.

Ok, well, consider yourself warned. Smile
It says *should* last, by the way, which is far from a guarantee - and the media has hardly been around long enough to test that hypothesis.
In any case, I was trying to point out the *advantages* of DVD compared to VHS, in that the DVDs take longer to degrade and are therefore a better option for recordings when the question about estimates for the longevity of the DVDs was asked. No need to make me the bad guy, I was trying to help!

Thefliss...I'm not sure where you're coming from. A question was asked about DVD longevity vs. video tape and I went to a link provided and copied the section where they gave the above quote. I then made a comment saying that "I" think we'll be just fine using DVD's as a recording medium compared to video tape.

You're more than welcome to disagree if that makes you feel better and, yes, you can pat yourself on the back that you have warned us. Thanks for looking out for our interest.

Shheeeesh...you're going to have to get thicker skin than you seem to exhibit to make it around here. I wasn't even talking to, or about, you.

Mark.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Peace, my brothers. I'm sure this whole thing was a simple misunderstanding of what certain words mean.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Just for the record, I have VHS tapes that are over 20 years old and play just fine.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Yep... Smile

Mark.
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Try selling a used vhs for anything more than 8 bucks on the for sale thread here at the Café.
Even though they contain the same material as the dvd versions very few people want them.I am an exception and have purchased many used vhs tapes.
I am sure you would lose many sales do to the medium. Many will only purchase dvd's do to the conveinence of not having to rewind ,fast forward.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Quote:
On 2008-03-30 18:07, daffydoug wrote:
Problem is for me that I have shelves of tapes from L&L back when they were putting things out in that format. My VCR broke, and the tapes are surely losing their life expectancy.

I considered looking on Ebay for a used VCR player.

Walmart and Target still sell combo dvd vhs players for about $45.00. I just bought one a few months ago. They also have just the vhs player for about $40.00.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
DVDs are very frustrating for me. If you have a VHS tape you can usually get it to play. Sometimes DVDs just won't play at all. As a dealer, I never know when someone is going to send one back. If it were a VHS tape it would only come back if it were crushed. DVDs are a great stepping stone to something hopefully much better and less problematic in the future.

I always cross my fingers when I pop a DVD in. Never with a VHS. And there some great VHS tapes still available with no DVD counterpart. Bob Kohler's "golden shells video" is a fine example.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Hi Frank,
I am headed to your site to browse the vhs Smile

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
The prices are all list on vhs tapes. if you see stuff you like let me know and I'll get you a better price.

$10 per tape max.

the easiest way is to go here:
http://www.theambitiouscard.com/catsearc......y=VIDEOS

and if you're using firefox, search the page for for "video" and "highlight all"
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
paymerich
View Profile
Special user
Norwalk, CT
546 Posts

Profile of paymerich
I purchased a combo DVD/vhs RECORDER ($100 maganavox). I have taken old VHS tapes (legit ) and created 3 copies. one I keep for pure archive and the other 2 are used in various players I have at home and office. That way I have almost no playing degradation any more.
Have a Magical Day!
<BR>
<BR>The Maniacal Mage
<BR>
<BR>Pablo Aymerich
<BR>Norwalk, CT 06851
thefliss
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of thefliss
Quote:
On 2008-03-30 20:12, mrunge wrote:

Thefliss...I'm not sure where you're coming from. A question was asked about DVD longevity vs. video tape and I went to a link provided and copied the section where they gave the above quote. I then made a comment saying that "I" think we'll be just fine using DVD's as a recording medium compared to video tape.

I wasn't taking offense and I meant no disrespect. I was teasing you; I think 10-20 years is a reasonable expectation for DVDs.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Thefliss...sorry for my quick response. It was "one of those days" and I misread your post.

Take care, Mark. Smile
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2008-03-31 11:25, paymerich wrote:
I purchased a combo DVD/vhs RECORDER ($100 maganavox). I have taken old VHS tapes (legit ) and created 3 copies. one I keep for pure archive and the other 2 are used in various players I have at home and office. That way I have almost no playing degradation any more.

It dubs VHS onto DVDs?

Is it available online? Perhaps through ebay?

What is the model #?

Thanks for the help.
Mr. Ree
View Profile
Elite user
Sedona AZ
414 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ree
I don’t buy anything in VHS anymore. But I have ended up
with one or two tapes that were given to me for free as a gift for an order
I placed.

There is a big misconception about DVDs. In the past they were
advertised as almost indestructible, but even fingerprints can cause
playing problems.

Scratches on bottom of disk can be fixed with a disk resurface product such
as a “Skip Dr.”.

Scratches on the “label” side cannot usually be fixed as the underside of this contains
the data. A laser shines through the bottom clear plastic disk and hits the backside of the label to
read the data. (The label side is the side you need to protect against a scratch the most.)

Cleaning should be done from center, in straight line, to outside edge.
(Radial cleaning.)

Some DVD players do not get along with all brands of DVD-R disk.
This is one of the main reasons for returns.

All software “players” that run on PCs are not the same they can handle error correction
in different ways. I have one PC player program that is very nice for slow play and looping part of the video over and over but it has more trouble playing some disk than the good old Windows Media Player from Microsoft.

And sometimes it is not the DVD disk at all. Many forget to clean their
DVD player’s lens from time to time with a product like
“Endust for Electronics, CD & DVD Player Lens Cleaner.”

So far I have been able to play any DVD that I have received.
Sometimess even new DVDs need to be resurfaced because they came loose
in their box and got scratched during shipping.

Sorry engineer slips out from time to time.
An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.
---- William Bernbach (1911 - 1982) ----
Mr. Ree
View Profile
Elite user
Sedona AZ
414 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ree
Quote:
On 2008-03-31 21:39, daffydoug wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-03-31 11:25, paymerich wrote:

It dubs VHS onto DVDs?

Is it available online? Perhaps through ebay?

What is the model #?

Thanks for the help.

daffydoug: Hope the following links might help.

Top 7 DVD Recorder - VHS VCR Combinations
http://hometheater.about.com/od/dvdhardw......ders.htm

The article does mention this:
However, keep in mind that DVD recorder/VCR combos cannot be used to copy commercially made DVD movies to VHS or commercially made VHS movies to DVD, due to copy-protection.
===========================================================
Transfer Tickets: The Best and Worst in VHS-to-DVD Converters (Wired magazine)
http://www.wired.com/gadgets/gadgetrevie......machines

=============================================================
Some comments at CNET forums:
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7596_102-0.h......=2288972
An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.
---- William Bernbach (1911 - 1982) ----